PDA

View Full Version : anyone know what the ps, nm limit on factory rs6 tiptranny is?

audirs6sport
May 26th, 2004, 09:30
before it hits the safe mode. :rs6kiss:

Nordschleife
May 26th, 2004, 09:38
I've put over 800NM through the transmission, it never switched to 'safe' mode - it just almost ripped the driveline off its mounts whenever it went 'clunk'.
I have had transmission failure at much lower torque levels.
Remember, Audi never wanted this gearbox for the RS6. However, the gearbox they did want was not available, so the RS6 has a gearbox that is right on its limits.

R+C

Erik
May 26th, 2004, 09:48
I suggest you don't go over 650 Nm, max 680 Nm.

TaTaPiRaTa
May 26th, 2004, 09:54
MTM stage 1 is 690nm is it too much then ???

Erik
May 26th, 2004, 10:02
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
MTM stage 1 is 690nm is it too much then ???

I think you will be allright.

But checking the oil level in the gearbox on a "constant" basis is not a bad idea.

TaTaPiRaTa
May 26th, 2004, 12:02
thx,

how do you check it ?
sorry for stupid question but I have german manual which is unreadable to myself :blush:

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Aronis
May 26th, 2004, 21:22
checking the transmission fluid level is a pain, there is no dip stick like US cars.

There are two plugs on the bottom of the transmision. One Larger one and one smaller one.

The Larger on is for checking the level, you put your finger into it and feel if the level is up to the rim of the opening, with the car level of course.

The smaller one is actually the drain point.

How do I know this!?!?!

I changed the oil on my A6 4.2 for the first time and took out the plug on the transmission and a little fluid came, I did a double take on the color and quickly got back under the car, and it stopped dripping. How on earth could I have drained that much fluid so quickly? SO I DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR. I did not yet have the shop manual, so it was flat bedded to dealer. They said it was a complex procedure to refill it. BULL SHIT.

As it turns out I had only drained a few cc's since the car was jacked in the front. This is as it turns out the access point to check the level.

I since then have gotten the shop manual and the complex procedure invovles hanging tubing with a hook on it in this hole and pumping in the fluid until it overflows LOLOLOLOL..

Anyway, I don't for the life of me understand why they are against a tip stick! It could still be a closed system with a screw on cap or something.

Anyway, if you want to check it, make sure its cool, and on a flat surface.

Now that you are laughing you ass off, the oil pan is hidden under that friggen plastic shroud and is about 10 inches back from the pumper, way far forward from my prior experience with many cars.

Hell it is a funny story, D'ooh. Since I have changed the oil in that car and the RS6 without a hitch, but getting the oil filter out on the RS6 is a bitch, you have to loosen the torsion bar mount to get it out.

Mike

djinn
May 27th, 2004, 15:10
I've put over 800NM

800 nm...? What's your car's hp?

Nordschleife
May 27th, 2004, 16:24
the horsepower wasn't that high, the car just exploded whenever you flexed you foot.
After winding the torque back, and reprogramming the transmission, the BHP remained high but the torque was closer to 700 NM.
You may note I'm not giving precise figures because you cannot measure precisely on a rolling road.

R+C

bilbozilla
May 27th, 2004, 19:12
Nordschleife - What's your background? I am always enlightened and even entertained by your posts. You're one of many assets to the board.