PDA

View Full Version : tuning via OBD port - Revo

rs6_newyork
May 26th, 2004, 01:22
So Revo (revoteknik) has this product that tunes all sorts of cars, you plug it in, and can set various modes include 'valet' and 'immobilize'. RS6 appears to be there, (500 something bhp and 500 something lb/ft).

My query is how it compares to O.C.T, MTM, SKN-Tuning, etc, all of which physically replace the ECU *and* the TIP chip?

Does Revo not touch the Tip chip? and if not, what is the drawback?

JAXRS6
May 26th, 2004, 03:33
Just did an AOL/Google search on the spelling you gave (Revoteknik) and nothing turned up. Can you refer us to a web site? Where are they located?

In six years of owning Audis I have heard of performance programming (chips) fromMTM, APR, Abt, GIAC and a few others, but never Revo. Not that they can't be any good; I've just never run across them before that I can recall. I know APR has been working on a direct-to-port program (no physical chip) for over a year, and they have it for some cars -- but not the RS6. They & some others (OC.T, MTM) do have a more conventional physical chip, tho.

Anyhow, I'd love to tell more about Revo but I need to know more myself!:)

rs6_newyork
May 26th, 2004, 04:03
my bad slight typo

http://www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html

check the links include the product .. (software range and prices) 899 pounds for the RS6 kit..

my guess is GIAC will sell the tip chip only.. perhaps giac+revo is ok.

one of the tuning sites darkly warns that if you don't chip the trannie, you may get "mechanical problems". At the very least, I a chipped trannie shifts more quickly? I wonder what Revo says about this issue.

the attractive part is the modes (valet, immobilizer, variable boost), and that the ecu seals are not touched and the dealer diags do not show the chip is reflashed, and the backup, which can be reloaded.

Nordschleife
May 26th, 2004, 07:07
Please don't fall into this trap.
Getting your car chipped in such a way that the dealer / manufacturer can't detect it, may possibly benefit you, but it costs Audi and all of its customers in the long run - its like shop lifting, its theft, its cheating asd it puts the cost of cars up in the long run.
Now imagine you do flash install this software, suppose the dealer, as a matter of course resets the chip to original specification, are you going to complain?
My experience with several Audis is that ALL the latest generation turbos fail. Audi has replaced turbos, manifolds and gearboxes, in and out of warranty, without problems, despite the cars being obviously tuned and modified.
Although 'free software' is attractive at first sight, a little reflection should put it in perspective, remember Napster?

R+C

rs6_newyork
May 26th, 2004, 14:34
Although 'free software' is attractive at first sight, a little reflection should put it in perspective, remember Napster?

R+C [/B]

With all due respect, you contribution is off topic.

Even if it was on topic: you assume that I would use the extra 50 bhp instead of just having the satisfaction of knowing it is there, you assume I will in future make a warranty claim for something obviously chip related, and you assume that I would lie to the dealer when doing so. You have no basis for any of these three assumptions, just your preconceptions. Your posting history on engineering subjects shows you hate assumptions and guesswork. I guess that engineering rigour does not extend to ethics questions?

If I see videos of someone blasting their car around the Ring at warp factor 9, I do not lecture them that they are unduely stressing the mechanicals and will surely be contributing to early warranty calls if not by them, by the next owner.

The actual QUESTION was to do with the necessity to tip chip if you nudge the ecu (and anyone with any Revo tuner experience). Not a call for papers on the ethics of after market tuning!!

:w:

Aronis
May 26th, 2004, 21:13
ouch

nene
May 26th, 2004, 22:32
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding...Round 1 is over!!!

I have not heard of Revo and their claims to give that power. This is the first time I've heard of them, and thanks for posting the info.

I think adding the Tip software just helps smooth out the power curve a bit or something to that effect. Having 500HP instead of 450HP won't really be much of a difference I suppose, thus even MTM offers the Tip software as optional.

But if you decide a to go ahead with it, please post write up on ease of getting it, as well as outcome on power and drivebility!!!

Nordschleife
May 26th, 2004, 23:16
Originally posted by rs6_newyork
With all due respect, you contribution is off topic.

Even if it was on topic: you assume that I would use the extra 50 bhp instead of just having the satisfaction of knowing it is there, you assume I will in future make a warranty claim for something obviously chip related, and you assume that I would lie to the dealer when doing so. You have no basis for any of these three assumptions, just your preconceptions. Your posting history on engineering subjects shows you hate assumptions and guesswork. I guess that engineering rigour does not extend to ethics questions?

If I see videos of someone blasting their car around the Ring at warp factor 9, I do not lecture them that they are unduely stressing the mechanicals and will surely be contributing to early warranty calls if not by them, by the next owner.

The actual QUESTION was to do with the necessity to tip chip if you nudge the ecu (and anyone with any Revo tuner experience). Not a call for papers on the ethics of after market tuning!!

:w:

This is exactly the kind of response I expect from somebody who is morally flexible.
What really takes the biscuit is your statement "you assume I would use the extra 50 bhp instead of just having the satisfaction of knowing it is there".

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt before, now we all know that you are a shameless bullshitter, you would pay money to have 50 extra bhp and never use it? You see you cannot control when you are using the extra power, be aware the ECU is torque driven rather than bhp oriented.

You have no respect for or my opinion, so don't dress up your utterly shameless response with false sentiment, its as honest as your attitude towards car modifications.

If you think this is strong, just try talking to an Audi exec. Tuner cheats have led Audi to largely move away from turbo charged petrol engines in the cheaper cars.

R+C

rs6_newyork
May 26th, 2004, 23:57
well the issue is now moot, because I got a reply from the revo people!

The reply was entertaining but the bottom line is they have withdrawn their RS6 option until they can offer a tranny chip. Reading between the lines it sounds like that may never happen (after all, the RS6 is rather "old news" to tuners by now), so the code they had will remain unavailable.

I'm impressed that they acknowledged the necessity to do both chips or neither, and with their fast reply to my query.

rs6_newyork
May 27th, 2004, 00:07
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt before, now we all know that you are a shameless bullshitter, you would pay money to have 50 extra bhp and never use it? You see you cannot control when you are using the extra power, be aware the ECU is torque driven rather than bhp oriented..
I'm glad to see by your over-reaction I touched a raw spot.

If I was you, I would avoid lecturing RS6 owners about (of all things) Napster as though you were talking to teens with a new vtec on daddies dime who spend time collecting mp3s. Nobody likes to be lectured about what they should and should not do to their own vehicles, bought with their own cash, especially not RS6 owners who are more likely than usual to be mature adults, perfectly capable of making and living with their own choices.

Are you the only person around here allowed to break transmissions, cook rotors, and drive at top speed? and why is that, exactly? You managed to fight your itch to be a net nanny in most other tuning related topics, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday and decide to trash mine (which was a perfectly logical question) just for fun?

Klint
May 27th, 2004, 00:19
Ladies, keep it civilised. :thumb:

Aronis
May 27th, 2004, 22:10
Pow! Slam! Smash! Ouch!

Bauer
May 28th, 2004, 02:24
Well this thread has gotten entertaining. I just hope it does not end up like a thread I saw on the MBZ forum today that in my opinion has gotten way out of hand. I dont see that happening, the members here seem to be much more civilized and polite....even with the bantering which at times I find some enjoyment in:D

Round two......ding ding

ZCD2.7T
May 28th, 2004, 04:03
For what it's worth, Ladies and Gentlemen:

From what I have read, Revo is a company who hired an ex-APR employee, and it was slapped with a lawsuit by APR in 2003 covering various points, not the least of which was the idea of flashing the ECU via the OBD port. Dunno if the idea was this ex-employee's, or if he "stole" it, and took it to Revo, but either way, it wasn't pretty.

I don't know what the final outcome of that lawsuit was, unfortunately. Here's a link to the files on the lawsuit, from APRs website:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/revo/

audirs6sport
May 28th, 2004, 07:47
i have revo and i don't really like it at all. disappointed.

audirs6sport
May 28th, 2004, 08:14
do not get the revo software for your rs6. STAY AWAY!

Bigman18
July 26th, 2004, 15:00
I have the Revo what dont you like have you tried other chips. :rs6kiss: :mech: :doh:

gjg
July 26th, 2004, 16:11
I have the Revo what dont you like have you tried other chips.

Bigman18 - did you notice any difference on RS6 (that is where your Revo chip is installed if I read your post correctly) ?

gg

:confused:

JAXRS6
July 26th, 2004, 16:26
Originally posted by Bigman18
I have the Revo what dont you like have you tried other chips.

After reading a little of the link provided above by ZCD2.7T, I would not buy a Revo chip until the lawsuit is settled because I'm guessing that if APR wins, Revo might go out of business or be prohibited from competing with APR in the chip biz. Not to mention the comments above yours by audirs6sport.

That aside, I have had APR chips on my two prior Audis. No problems after 16K chipped miles on my '98 A4 1.8T, and no problems after 31K chipped miles on my '00 S4. I use the extra power when I need it & occasionally for fun, but certainly not all the time -- which probably helps preserve the turbos.

No chip in my RS6 and no plans for same, since I am satisfied with its power -- and consequences of chip-related failure are much more expensive. But if I change my mind down the line, my first call will be to APR.

SpinEcho
July 26th, 2004, 16:26
Are you the only person around here allowed to break transmissions, cook rotors, and drive at top speed?

Good question!

Since I've been here, Nordschleife has contributed a lot of good stuff to the forum, but this is different: lecturing you on chipping, while pounding the piss out of his RS6 on the track. Seems like a double standard to me...

Nordschleife
July 26th, 2004, 16:42
Spin Echo

There is no double standard at all.

Audi has been aware of all the time I have spent on the track and testing elsewhere, they have even assisted with research . At all stages I have discussed what has been done and the problems I experienced. As a result they came to the party and paid for a replacement gearbox, turbos and exhaust manifolds.

I have no problem with chipping, I do have a difficulty with people chipping their cars and then trying to hide the fact from the manufacturer when they have problems. This puts up warranty costs which changes the way the manufacturer behaves. It is no coincidence that after a great many people chipped their bi-turbo S4s and hid this fact from their dealers when it came to making warranty claims, that the new S4 has a normally aspirated engine.

R+C

rs6_newyork
July 26th, 2004, 16:54
yes and thats the point Nordschleife: you *assumed* that because this topic was ODB port, that the intention was to to scam audi.

My interest in ODB, not that I should have to justify it to you, is that from the stories I've read about poor chip soldering jobs, poor connectivity, and the invasive nature of removing an ECU, replacing a prom, and re-installing, the ODB seemed to me to be a much cleaner way of doing things.

GIAC seems to agree with me, as they've launched ODB loaders for their stuff, which also allow an easier way for other nifty features to be one button operations, such as valet mode, race gas mode, factory mode, and disable ecu mode.

Also, and not that it is any of your business, if i were to blow the transmission or the heads on my RS6 I would not be attempting to hide the circumstances of the failure. If they want me as a customer for their next car, and the failure was not related to over-boost, I'd expect them to be gentlemen and fulfill the warranty but I would also not cry and bitch on a forum if they did not, or if it was related to over-powering the components.

You may like to pontificate on this forum and thats fine, but you should really keep your negative assumptions to the subject of audi engineering, rather than the other participants here.

Nordschleife
July 26th, 2004, 17:29
RS6NewYork

I quote your own previous post -

"the attractive part is .........the ecu seals are not touched and the dealer diags do not show the chip is reflashed, and the backup, which can be reloaded."

so everybody can draw their own conclusions.

R+C

JAXRS6
July 26th, 2004, 17:49
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Audi has been aware of all the time I have spent on the track and testing elsewhere, they have even assisted with research . At all stages I have discussed what has been done and the problems I experienced. As a result they came to the party and paid for a replacement gearbox, turbos and exhaust manifolds.

This sounds like a fabulous relationship! Do you need an assistant?!? Perhaps an associate in the US?! As we all know, there are differences in roads, tracks, driving habits....:D

Just kidding. Or maybe not.

SpinEcho
July 26th, 2004, 17:58
Originally posted by Nordschleife

Well, that's great for you. Now, if one of us regular folk were to post a thread about taking our RS6 to the track, would you criticize us? After all, you must admit your relationship with Audi is unusual. I doubt the average RS6 driver would get any sympathy from Audi if they asked for special consideration, because they had been researching their car.

Nordschleife
July 26th, 2004, 18:09
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Well, that's great for you. Now, if one of us regular folk were to post a thread about taking our RS6 to the track, would you criticize us? After all, you must admit your relationship with Audi is unusual. I doubt the average RS6 driver would get any sympathy from Audi if they asked for special consideration, because they had been researching their car.

I am not aware of any criticism of people taking their car to the track, in fact its an obvious thing to do, and safer than exploring some of the car's characteristics on an open highway. This does not mean that they should behave like a pratt when they get there, however.

Contrary to your expectations, all RS6 drivers ARE given 'special consideration' by Audi.

R+C

SpinEcho
July 26th, 2004, 18:20
I am not debating the obvious enjoyment and educational benefit of going to the track.

I totally disagree that Audi, or at least Audi North America, would give RS6 drivers special consideration if they were to break something while tracking their cars. Manufacturers here (and in the UK, from what I hear), take a dim view of modifying and racing their cars, and that includes Audi. Your friendly neighbourhood dealer, if they have a good relationship with you, might turn a blind eye to a chip, but if turbos and brakes and whatnot start failing, don't expect any sympathy!

My point, Nordschleife, is that you enjoy a relationship with Audi that most RS6 drivers worldwide cannot. That's why I don't think you are in a fair position to be criticizing rs6_newyork.

Nordschleife
July 26th, 2004, 18:49
Spinecho

Taking the car to the track is an irrelevance, however, Audi does organise RS Experiences for their customers to come and drive their cars on track along with the drivers from the race team. Cars' modifications are openly and frankly discussed.

I developed a good relationship with Audi because I have been open and frank about what I have been doing.

I have had several conversations with very senior executives of AOA, they get really pissed off by underhand behaviour by customers.

I fostered a good relationship with Audi by being a good customer, its thast simple. Start hiding what you are doing and it all goes to hell in hand cart, real fast!

R+C

Audihead
July 26th, 2004, 18:58
So where the hell are we? Oh yea, Revo sucks, don't use or buy it.:hihi:

:s4addict: -Audihead

JAXRS6
July 26th, 2004, 21:06
Audihead, I just sent you a PM about possibly hooking up with Noushy & I in Birmingham tonight. Please check it out & give me a call.

gjg
July 26th, 2004, 21:18
Audihead, you're right on - for $899 you get all the goodies as well as an option to reflash back (at will) original software for dealer visit ... ts ts. Any software guy with some knowledge can modify software - long term effect of such "tunning" is something else. Revo's tests, dyno or whatever you wanna callit are nowhere to be found .....

:brag:

and in all fairness gents, the whole pissing contest started about this statement:

"the attractive part is .........the ecu seals are not touched and the dealer diags do not show the chip is reflashed, and the backup, which can be reloaded."

not about tracking the car or anything else. Bringing burned rotors and failed trannys to this discussion about hidding mods is bs, let's look at the facts - you will never drive (in US) the same way the cars are driven in Germany so naturally there is significantly higher wear and tear on the old autobahn .......

Originally posted by SpinEcho :

That's why I don't think you are in a fair position to be criticizing rs6_newyork.

so going to the beginning, the criticism of Revo's marketing bs is in place .....

:argue:

anyway, let's have a beer :cheers:

JAXRS6
July 26th, 2004, 21:58
Originally posted by gjg
anyway, let's have a beer :cheers:

That's exactly what Audihead, Noushy and I plan to do around 7 tonight in Birmingham, MI, a few miles from AOA HQ! Anyone else who wants to join us from SE Michigan, please PM me ASAP.:thumb:

Bigman18
July 26th, 2004, 23:41
Yes but Puert Rico is very warm and I suffered from Heat Soak. And sometimes around 5000 rpmit becomes sluguish. I am getting the Tip chip soon they tell me that this takes care of most of the Problem. But it is much pepier than stock.:mech:

gjg
July 27th, 2004, 07:30
Tip chip will not take care of slugishness at certain rpms .... this is IMO more likely fuel map problem and if this was my car I would address that to the supplier.

Is that tip chip from Revo too ?

:revs:

audirs6sport
July 27th, 2004, 08:36
revo didn't release the tip chip yet. :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

gjg
July 27th, 2004, 09:30
IMO they never will ..... :nono:

Papa Stone
July 29th, 2004, 18:10
Hey Guys

I am Bigmans Tuner..

We just change the Revo to GIAC software and I can tell you their is a HUGE difference. Sure the cost is alot, but you get a Smoother chip, with a great power delievery.

I actually talk to GIAC about this and he told me that the chip is "conservative" and is made for 91 oct.

I imagine Bigman will comment about his experience.. But I know the improvement was serious.

This also comes in Flashloader so no need to take out your Chip to solder it..

However ..
Revo - Retails 900
GIAC - 2595 (this includes the Tranny chip, but has to be solder)

rs6_newyork
July 29th, 2004, 18:32
Have you experienced NO glitches with GIAC?

I've had GIAC for a while now (with tip chip) and it glitches around town. Little hesitations when just cruising, now and again, and for some reason I'm a lot more aware of the lock-up torque converter cutting in and out when on the freeway.

Under acceleration, it also does not feel as linear as factory did.

Unless this clears up, i'm reverting.

Papa Stone
July 29th, 2004, 18:52
Well, I am speaking for Bigman now,

He saids that the acceleration is very smooth and the car makes a ton of torque. However he only had it for a Day. Have you tried talking to your dealer (giac that is) on how that could be improve?? Bigman's car is a Flash.. and I spoke to Garrett about this and he said he spent 6 days working on all the maps for this flash, you might want to recheck this..!!

You can call me or email me and I will be happy to give you a hand

rs6_newyork
July 29th, 2004, 19:24
Mine was the flash.
both GIAC and their distributor have not replied in anything but the vaguest terms to my issues. I think they extended the money back period, however, as I've not had time to run more than a couple of tanks of gas, post chip.

The GAIC authorized tuner told me the first version (before flash) from giac was unsatisfactory and the latest release was the first one to satisfy the other RS6 they did. GIAC themselves said they've 22 or so customers, and only a couple of returns. I don't believe any more development is being done, though.

Maybe I'm just picky. I just don't think a remap that basically just increases max boost should cause any mid or quarter throttle cruising glitches, but it does, at least in my car. My ECU shows no fault codes. Maybe it is "bad gas". Maybe all GIAC RS6s do this and its just a subtle problem.

The hesitation, which comes maybe every 30 minutes of driving on average, feels like the same part-interruption in power as the first half of a gear change. Except no change is occuring.

After this flash/tip chip, I also accidently initiated a kickdown at 50mph when over-taking, so I lifted off.. the transmission went ahead and changed anyway, and the ensuing thump was unbelievable. Would this have happened with stock? I'm not sure. I for one wouldn't like to try it.

Finally I don't find the shifts any faster and two 1/4 mile g-tech graphs (before vs after) seemed to show exactly the same g-force fingerprint over up-shifts.

The O.C.T tuner is boasting of much faster shifts with a tip chip vs stock claiming it is very obvious.

These tuners very poorly document their work. I think customers are very undemanding and price insensitive. A bad combination. In my view they should document exactly what changes a chip makes vs factory, and stop calling it "secret sauce" and other stupidities. Not all customers are idiots with too much $$$s, complex answers can be understood. Are the changes so simple that merely explaining what they change (and do not change) gives away trade secrets?

Bigman18
July 29th, 2004, 21:52
:addict: :addict:
I just change chips and the garrett is very smooth I haven't done the tip chip yet but so far no glitches. What gas are you using?:mech:

rs6_newyork
July 29th, 2004, 21:58
well i always buy 93 or 94 octane if available (US method). This isnt cali so its not as crappy. Of course not all 93 octanes are equal, maybe i should stick to sunoco only or something. The last tank was actually 100 unleaded, but i didn't notice it made any difference.

JAXRS6
July 30th, 2004, 02:12
maybe i should stick to sunoco only or something.

In Michigan, some gasoline brands have ethanol and some don't. Sunoco does, and I was advised by my Audi dealer years ago not to use it on my '98 A4 because ethanol has some deteriorating effect on the gas lines that are made in Germany; i.e. it affects all German cars in this way, apparently.

More recently, in Florida, another dealer was having problems with gasoline quality in the Sarasota area, so their Porsche division did a survey. The result, I'm told, was that Exxon was the only brand that tested good. But that could be due to regional storage problems in SW Florida related to high humidity, rather than the brand. In any case that was the reported result. Exxon has been hard to find, so I buy Mobil whenever I can since Exxon-Mobil is now one corporation.

Another thing to consider is the possibility that neither your chipless chip nor bad gas are causing the problems you describe. I experienced hesitation and surging -- and occasional tranny issues -- until my wiring harness was replaced under warranty. Before that the dealer replaced two ECMs, which were throwing false fault codes, but symptoms continued. Turned out the wiring harness was making them do that. Now everything seems fine.:thumb:

jon
August 2nd, 2004, 17:19
I'd just like to add my 2 pence worth.

1. I think Nordy was trying to apply Audi Europe standards to a thread which is AOA orinetated. He is right in the UK and Europe if you go into an Audi dealers or ring customer services with an RS model enquiry/complaint and ask them to jump, they ask how high sir? They even bought back my AMD tuned RS4 after the engine blew! But after reading this and other threads which are AOA based, I certainly wouldn't buy an Audi in the US. They only seem to be interedted in taking your money.

2. I would certainly not buy a Revo product after seeing how they develope their code. They don't even have access to a rolling road, so all there code is written whilst driving then passed to certain customers for testing.....this to me is not the way to go. It's like buying a Ferrari and taking it to fiat for servicing!

3. REVO code is NOT undectable as I've seen the maps brought up on a computer screen using a map reading/writing package and guess what it says in the version details......copyright REVO! How is that undectable?

gjg
August 2nd, 2004, 17:41
REVO code is NOT undectable

for that matter Jon I do not think there is any aftermarket chip which is not UNDETECTABLE by Audi factory rep ..... VAG box may not read everything but the very moment factory laptop is connected to your ECU the truth comes out .......

and here comes the "reflash the old factory software back for dealer visit" Revo's option which started the pissing contest ....

Anyway, agree with your 2 pence ...... although you may still find some dealers in US who do take the same approach to customer care as they do in Europe.

:cheers:

rs6_newyork
August 2nd, 2004, 18:10
for what it is worth i'm definitely going back to stock. Had my first decent chance this weekend to drive long distance and under varying condition and several tanks of premium fuel and the glitching is absolutely there.. not so any passenger noticed but at 2/10ths throttle at 60mph on a billiard table flat road you do not want to feel the slightest interruption or pause in power, even if it happens only once, for 100ms duration, in 10 miles.

Since this started immediately after the GIAC flash and was absolutely not there before, I discount mechanical cause .. another reason the flash is good in this way, it is all software. I suppose it could be the tip chip or the tip chip install, but occams razor says to me its the new code.

Money back if not satisfied? sounds good to me.

Bigman18
August 2nd, 2004, 18:34
How old are you ?
Ever since I have remembered there has been a compromise in Performance you get something and give up the other please tell me how does the car feel when you step on the gas and fly from 40 to 120MPH does it glich the chip is made tu perform under this conditions. I use to tune my cars with weights and drills and trustme if you want to have gltches go back to tunning 2 or 6 Webber Carbs.:mech: :doh:

rs6_newyork
August 2nd, 2004, 18:59
old enough not to get lectures from you. I remember adding a performance weber carb to a lancia beta and discovering that when I went around the corner too fast, the engine would stumble - because the people who offered the carb did not own the car, did not drive one so equipped, did not notice this easily correctable drawback, and were more interested in making some money selling the part to a young kid who wanted extra performance.

You think I'm being picky? I think you're too easy to impress. It makes no sense that software that raises maximum boost, by 10% (this is, after all, where chipped RS6s get ALL their extra 50hp and torque from), and juggles mixture and ignition to avoid detonation under full boost, would fail to mimic factory fuel, air and other params (and thus glitch), when operating at far less than factory boost maximum.

If someone can provide a plausible engineering explanation why one must accept this kind of compromise, I'm all ears. Remember, I'm not talking about how it behaves when the engine is operating out of factory envelope. I'm quite able to accept weirdness there.

I make a prediction: i'll go back to stock and the glitch will go away. I'll preview another chip, and it will be glitch free unless you venture above 13psi boost by sustained WOT. If no chip can manage this, then they are all a waste of money, IMO.

Bauer
August 2nd, 2004, 19:49
I make a prediction: i'll go back to stock and the glitch will go away. I'll preview another chip, and it will be glitch free unless you venture above 13psi boost by sustained WOT. If no chip can manage this, then they are all a waste of money, IMO.

So you believe this giltch is not GIAC specific or it is? Also, what makes you believe the magic numbers is 13psi? I have not heard of such problmes with MTM or OCT. Well, I believe an OCT chip owner (Avus RS6-no longer an RS6 owner) did have a problem that was quickly solved with revised software.

Cheers,

Bigman18
August 3rd, 2004, 00:17
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
sorry Sir I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I apologize. But please let me know how old you are.
That way if you are younger, in a very proper manner I would run you over with my glitching beast. Which by the way kicks ass with its giac chip.:addict: :addict: :race: :race: :race:

Bauer
August 3rd, 2004, 00:50
glitching beast. Which by the way kicks ass with its giac chip.

So yours has the glitch as well?

Bigman18
August 3rd, 2004, 01:11
I haven't felt anything yet but I had the Revo before this one and trust me that one had glitches all over. When you were driving aroun town and you accelerated slowly sometimes the tranny would bang. and at around 4000 rpm it would slow down and then take off.
But nothing so far with the giac I feel a lot more torque and very linear.

eph94
August 3rd, 2004, 02:20
After this flash/tip chip, I also accidently initiated a kickdown at 50mph when over-taking, so I lifted off.. the transmission went ahead and changed anyway, and the ensuing thump was unbelievable. Would this have happened with stock? I'm not sure. I for one wouldn't like to try it.

This has happened to me once and my RS6 is bone stock. It was so loud and frightening that I actually looked in my rearview mirror and expected to see pieces of my transmission and/or fluid all over the highway. No other recurrences since then. Knock on wood.

JAXRS6
August 3rd, 2004, 03:52
Originally posted by JJV-MA
This has happened to me once and my RS6 is bone stock. It was so loud and frightening that I actually looked in my rearview mirror and expected to see pieces of my transmission and/or fluid all over the highway. No other recurrences since then. Knock on wood.

Ditto -- exact same thing happened to me, once, and I'm stock too. At the time, tho, I was also having surge & hesitation sporadically, and all that has disappeared since dealer replaced my wiring harness. The wiring harness apparently caused two ECMs to fail; each of them was throwing false fault codes until the wiring harness was replaced. I don't know if that had anything to do with my one-time tranny ka-boom at Interstate speeds, but I was told it could have been causing rough shifts that I experienced for a while at lower speeds.

gjg
August 3rd, 2004, 06:27
same here - seems it happens more often when tranny fluid gets hot ....... :bigeyes:

Nordschleife
August 3rd, 2004, 09:06
This thump gets worse the more powerful the engine is and is most noticable when the car is just idling along. Apparently it is noticable, to a much lesser extent, in the S6. Audi and MTM engineers have done a lot of work to try and stop it. So far they have only managed to ameliorate the problem.

The company that manufacturers the wiring harnesses (every one is made to order), complains that the auto manufacturers demand that the price be kept down, so there is a lot of interference. I checked this with one of the display suppliers who states that there are major interference problems. The auto industry is still getting to grips with electronics. Audi is making some serious efforts since they opened their new Electronics Competence Centre.

R+C

jon
August 3rd, 2004, 09:17
Originally posted by gjg
for that matter Jon I do not think there is any aftermarket chip which is not UNDETECTABLE by Audi factory rep ..... VAG box may not read everything but the very moment factory laptop is connected to your ECU the truth comes out .......

and here comes the "reflash the old factory software back for dealer visit" Revo's option which started the pissing contest ....

Anyway, agree with your 2 pence ...... although you may still find some dealers in US who do take the same approach to customer care as they do in Europe.

:cheers:

What I meant was all the maps, even the stock one, said copywrite REVO. Thats why it's no good at being undetectable!

On the service front Audi have done another good job BTW. The brake fluid light came on and they sent an Audi Technician out within 30 mins to top it up at my office! How good is that, FOC as well!

SpinEcho
August 3rd, 2004, 19:09
Originally posted by jon
The brake fluid light came on and they sent an Audi Technician out within 30 mins to top it up at my office!

Geez! Try getting that level of service in Canada or the USA... :vgrumpy: