PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Upshifting

JA
May 25th, 2004, 18:25
When driving at highway speeds in Tiptronic, and preparing to upshift say from 3rd to 4th gear, is it better to take my foot off the accelerator just before shifting, or does it not matter?

Anybody have any input they'd care to share on how best to use the Tip?

TIA.

RS6 OOOO
May 26th, 2004, 15:49
when i race i just leave it down. i haven't tried lifting up and then punching it.

TheBrit
May 26th, 2004, 16:25
I never bother lifting off for shifts, it shouldn't be necessary given the electronic throttle control and networking between ECU and TCU.

Audihead
May 26th, 2004, 18:21
I wouldn't lift either, unless it's one of the slush boxes from BMW that has the Shiftronic system. It works better in an application like that. With SMG,DSG or Tiptronic you shouldn't have to do that, the gear boxes are much better. I think in an old thread it was determined that just putting the car in S and using the paddles to downshift was one of the best solutions.:thumb:

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

SpinEcho
May 26th, 2004, 20:01
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
I wouldn't lift either, unless it's one of the slush boxes from BMW that has the Shiftronic system.

Not sure what Shiftronic is. My 330i auto is called Steptronic, and it works no differently from any VAG Tiptronic. No lifting is required (nor desireable) between shifts.

Aronis
May 26th, 2004, 21:03
I have found that it shifts more smoothly when I give it more gas! I am not sure why that is, but it appears to shift more quickly as well.

Audihead
May 26th, 2004, 21:32
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Not sure what Shiftronic is. My 330i auto is called Steptronic, and it works no differently from any VAG Tiptronic. No lifting is required (nor desireable) between shifts.

Sorry about that, I meant Steptronic. It will shift a little quicker and smoother if you lift just slightly between shifts. This has been proven by many a student at driving schools. You are right, no lifting is required but it does have a better effect when you play with it and get the timing right.:revs:

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

P.S. Love the Corrado, is it a '94? I had a '94 and enjoyed every minute of it.

Aronis
May 26th, 2004, 21:38
Bimmerhead,

When are you going to change your name to Audihead????

Mike

Audihead
May 26th, 2004, 22:14
In about 3 1/2 weeks when I recieve the new ride, it has been a long wait. Wouldn't be fare to do it until then.:) Just gave up the Z3 last week, I shed a few tears.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead:cry:

Aronis
May 26th, 2004, 22:44
Ya, I hear you, I missed my M3, but the RS6 has made that a passing memory...

Audihead
May 27th, 2004, 19:20
That's what i'm hoping for from the S4, i think it should surpass my expectations.:thumb:

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead (Not for much longer)