PDA

View Full Version : What would you drive if the RS6 wasn't available?

Alan
May 22nd, 2004, 16:34
My lease is up in October and I'll have nearly 30K miles on my RS6. I don't want to buy my current car, and yet it is too early for the next gen RS6. So what should I get that will give me the thrills, the room and the confidence in bad weather? Is the Cayenne Turbo my only reasonable choice?

rs6w
May 22nd, 2004, 21:41
What kind of lease do you have? 1 year?

I have heard good things about the Cayenne. Though If the RS isn't giving any trouble why not keep it a little longer?

GoFastKindaGuy
May 22nd, 2004, 21:58
First, why not get another new RS6? Second, if you want the space of the Cayenne, you could probably find an S6 Avant at a good price. (Mine was 10K under MSRP, new.) That is what I got instead of the Porsche Cayenne when I learned the RS6 Avant was not coming to the USA -- more usable cargo space, twice the fuel economy and handles pretty well (though not in the same league with the RS6).

The Cayenne Turbo is an incredible, uh, truck. It is a Porsche compared to other SUVs. But it is a truck compared to what you have been driving!

Good luck!:looking:

rs6w
May 22nd, 2004, 22:13
If the RS6 hadn't shown up I would have kept my S6.

The S6 is a really nice car. Loved mine.

gjg
May 23rd, 2004, 09:01
if you're looking for something in SUV size, VW Touareg may be something to check.

The V10 TDI 310hp 560 torque fully loaded is about $66k, the difference between VW and Cayenne for driving in US (outside of the badge) ? 27 gal. tank with about 25 mpg with that power is not bad. And it will run 140 mph

Both are built in the same factory BTW ... unfortunately there is a loooong waiting period for the V10 TDI. In Europe there is a waiting list and allocations, delivery about 10-12 months.

Otherwise I'd get/keep S6 if no RS6 is available :thumb:

George

Sean
May 23rd, 2004, 12:13
Same as my dad probably, Range Rover HSE.

gjg
May 23rd, 2004, 14:23
Overfinch Range Rover would not be bad too ....

Power: 380 bhp (279 kw) @ 5300 rpm
Max Torque: 376 lb ft (510 Nm) @ 3400 rpm

0-30 mph - 2.3 seconds
0-50 mph – 5.1 seconds
0-60 mph – 7.1 seconds
0-100 mph – 19.8 seconds
Max speed: 140 mph (estimate)

:brag:

Klint
May 23rd, 2004, 15:39
Originally posted by gjg
Overfinch Range Rover would not be bad too ....

Power: 380 bhp (279 kw) @ 5300 rpm
Max Torque: 376 lb ft (510 Nm) @ 3400 rpm

0-30 mph - 2.3 seconds
0-50 mph – 5.1 seconds
0-60 mph – 7.1 seconds
0-100 mph – 19.8 seconds
Max speed: 140 mph (estimate)

:brag:

I saw Niel Hodgson (sp?) drive a silver Overfinch this weekend, looked real good, I also believe it was kitted out with 24" Chrome Kahn rims.

gjg
May 23rd, 2004, 15:44
Jeremy Cl. did a number on it, I've got the video somewhere - nice machine although you middle name, as JC pointed out "should be BP or EXXON or AMOCO" ...... :doh:

krm
May 23rd, 2004, 16:01
I tested the Cayenne TT in one of Porsche's driving experience last year, it's one heck of an performance SUV both for on and off road handling.

How about the X5 4.8is as yet another alternative? It would not cost as much as the Porsche and also has the on-road performance to boot (off road capabilities maybe less desirable though).

jgun81
May 23rd, 2004, 22:13
it's a hard decision since there aren't many cars like RS6.
If you are looking for 4dr sedan in RS6's league,then there are three cars that compete with RS6.
M5,E55amg,jaguar type s-R
M5-well...It's pretty old...but defineately a fun car to drive. New M5 is coming out soon, why spend money on this one?
E55amg-Fast, but doesn't handle like RS6 and feeling of brake sucks
Jaguar types-R-hmm...slowest but cheapest. I woulnd't get this one..not fun
None of the cars I mentioned are AWD.
someone mentioned tourag and cayenne. They are both nice cars
but if you are not planing to keep the car for long, they i say
get tourag. I have V8one and it's pretty nice. Doesn't handle like RS6, and it's not as fast, but it's really a nice comfy SUV.

Erik
May 23rd, 2004, 22:17
Audi W12 - similar performance to the RS6.
Porsche Cayenne - face lift soon?
E55 - many have electrical problems. Fun car but beware.
Not sure when the new M5 will be released. Also not sure if it's better to wait for a year or so to avoid the first one's being built.

sprint Blue
May 24th, 2004, 04:07
My bicycle:rs6kiss:

Nordschleife
May 24th, 2004, 07:45
Why not drive the Maserati Quattroporte? A better car than the RS6 anyway.

R+C

Erik
May 24th, 2004, 12:11
Originally posted by Nordschleife
A better car than the RS6 anyway.

Is the Duoselect really any better? :confused:

I heard Maserati wanted to use the Audi DSG box but there wasn't time for that. Next time perhaps.

Nordschleife
May 24th, 2004, 12:36
Erik
A car is more than its gearbox. Once up to speed the Quatroporte geearshift is magic.
The DSG is in deep strife. Are you surprised its NOT on the new 997? So far it can't handle serious torque.
Maserati is coming with an improved gearbox later this year, given an absence of unforseen problems.
Audi fans should take note of this car. Its the way future Audis are going to be. Its the new paradigm. This layout is the successor to Quattro.

R+C

Erik
May 24th, 2004, 13:51
Nordschleife,
You keep telling me the RS6 is bad becasue its gearbox ;)
Which, in all fairness, is becasue you tuned your cars.
I understand the Duoselect is quite terrible at low speeds.
I guess most people will not be using the car on the Autobahn
all the time.

The fact that Audi and Maserati are working together is something most people don't know. It was reported here long time ago but the threads never caught any interest.
I guess we'll see SUVs and other interesting stuff in the future.

I'm still looking for the news about the Porsche 997 using DSG or
:confused: and the Haldex FWD. We'll see.

iconcls
May 24th, 2004, 14:07
Originally posted by Erik
The fact that Audi and Maserati are working together is something most people don't know.

I would love to see the Kubang built, or any other Torsen Maserati for that matter.

Aronis
May 24th, 2004, 14:36
What to drive....

Lets see....

If the RS6 did not come along, I'd still be driving my A6 4.2, and still missing my M3...

With another kid on the way, the Subaru WRX Sti is looking mighty nice to me!

Mike

Erik
May 25th, 2004, 08:11
I forgot one of the most important replacements:

Bentley Continental GT :cool2:

TaTaPiRaTa
May 25th, 2004, 12:47
ABT AS8 looks nice. They supercharge the 4.2 engine to 450HP.
See yourself:
http://www.abt-sportsline.de/news/newsflash.php?sprache=e&flash=ok&rubrikid=104&kategorie=5

ALC also looks promising....

:rs6kiss:

k2
May 25th, 2004, 13:21
Unlimited funds ... unlimited imagination

1965 Candy Blue 427 Shelby Cobra (original) ... and I wouldn't be driving it ... my wife would be ... most of you know her as Jennifer Aniston

Yellow 2004 Carrera GT ... with neon green running lights and some 'huggy bear' dice

I am actually pretty interested to see what the RSQ looks like in this new movie ... TT on steroids.

Until then I'll drive my '03 OCC Trex on the weekends and my RS6 to and from work.