PDA

View Full Version : MTM 2 pipes vs 4 pipes

TaTaPiRaTa
May 21st, 2004, 21:51
Hi!

Does anybody know exact difference to the MTM 2 pipe vs 4 pipe exhaust?

Did anybody hear the difference? And to the standard RS6 one ??

I would like to add some growl and sound to the Beast while not became deaf after 8 hours of cruising at 160km/h, so I would like to get the sound to the extreme when the revs are to the max not at 3000-4000 rpm...

thx.

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

EternalX
May 22nd, 2004, 01:00
the 4 pipe exhaust has a butterfly that opens during hard acceleration, and closes near shut during subdued cruising. I imagine it will be louder than the 2 pipe exhaust when opening up, and queiter when not giving much gas. If i had to choose i would defintely get the 4 ;)

keo
May 22nd, 2004, 13:48
I did my study about the modification until narrow it down to 2 brands MTM and Sportec. I went to one of the local best know upgrading of VAG car looking for the Sportec package. When I arrive I see a RS4 sitting at the shop with MTM bimota wheel and exhaust. So I ask who this car belong to. The owner of the shop came out and obvious it his. So I ask him the same question you have in mind about the sound and performance between Sportec and MTM. He says hop in to the RS4 and I will take you for a ride and you know how does the sound feels like to you. The car starts with the rumbling sound but right away it is very quiet. But when the car start to move with throttle open it sound sore like racing car high rpm type (I don't know how to actually describe it). The shop owner told me he has also install Sportec for RS6 already. Honestly it is a bit loud. Deep bass rumbling sound. It is a matter of personal interest. I chose the MTM, and the quad exhaust was install and test run. Fabulous, it sound just like I predict. Very muffled after start because of the vacuum controlled flap valves. Once step on the accelerator the vacuum unit opens the valves. It sound concrete powerful with much higher tone than most big horsepower auto I experience (much deeper than the RS4, I guess it is V8). I don't want to make any statement rather which brand is better. It really is up to one's character.

:addict:

nene
May 22nd, 2004, 14:12
Great write up Keo.
I think the stock exhaust on the RS6 is great sounding already, whether you get the regular or sport enhanced one.

With that, it makes it harder to express what could possibly make the sound sweeter, or "better".

Maybe we should be buying exhausts on their performance added characteristics!