PDA

View Full Version : MTM chip - no dyno ?

TaTaPiRaTa
May 21st, 2004, 17:46
Hi!

There is only one dealer of MTM in Poland. I'm considering chipping up to 500hp. The shop has no 4x4 dyno :doh:
Do you think it is safe and wise to do chip tuning there or it would be better to go to Germany ?
I always thought that chip tuning is not just putting the chip in, but optimizing the map of ECU by looking at the performance change at the dyno /same time/ ...

Thanks in adv for your comments.

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Erik
May 21st, 2004, 18:01
There is a difference between mapping your car and just chipping it.

I think for the RS6 just chipping is fine.
I find it hard to believe that MTM or any other tuner would map your car unless you want something very special.
Don't forget 98 octane, I guess that is what MTM uses to map the RS6 for your market.

But it is always nice to have a dyno to see the results BOTH before AND after.

So - would you like local support go to Poland, otherwise Germany would be just fine.

TaTaPiRaTa
May 21st, 2004, 21:58
thx Erik,

If I decide to go for MTM locally I will use other shop to dyno it before and then after (and post the outcome to the forum if you like)

The question is if I will decide to shop in Germany I can choose then Oettinger and OCT as well.

So can you guys help me decide which one to go OCT, MTM or Oettinger for the 500hp chip now and latter (end of year) exhaust plus downpipes (getting 530-540 hp) ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

There is not much to do with the Beast so the decision is to be taken carefully :looking:

Thx for your input.

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Nordschleife
May 21st, 2004, 23:42
MTM is in a unique position when it comes to tuning Audis. Even Abt bought their chips from MTM until they figured out how to copy their own.

When Champion Audi was building the racing RS6s, did theyt talk to OCT or Oettinger or Abt, or... or ..... No, they spoke to MTM.

When it comes to exhausts, it all comes down to how much do you want to spend.

MTM can do quiet exhausts, they can do noisy exhausts. If you want noise, then they can supply an exhaust which opens up under boost to give you a fantastic noise, but remains subdued when cruising.

Remember, the best is never cheap.

R+C

oswald
May 22nd, 2004, 00:09
Tatapirata (pozdrowienia z NYC tak w ogole) i would NEVER go to a place for tuning without a dyno. The MTM divison in Poland is not really worth visiting. They offer chiptuning but they can't confirm any of their results... a friend of mine has gone there with a 1.8T engine (skoda, 150ps) and they GUARANTEED it will have at least 210ps after their ECU programming (210ps on a KKK K03 turbo ?science fiction?). After dynoing it had ... 167 ..... I would strongly urge to reconsider. They just seem to use the MTM as a great trademark name and (of course) to earn money.

Nordschleife
May 22nd, 2004, 07:04
Oswald

You might think that the chassis Dynamometer is a scientific instrument, but it isn't. Its all about estimates.

Firstly, the power the original engine produces is unknown. typically engine output varies between ehgines by +/- 7.5%. Unless you take the engine out of the car and put it on an engine brake, you don't know.

One of the reasons you don't know how much power the engine produces is because when you measure power at the wheels, you have to make an adjustment for transmission loss. These estimates are nearly always guess work because the estimator does not know what power the engine actually produces, so the transmission loss calculation is based upon an unknown figure.

Then those rolling roads which use rollers, as opposed to the hydraulic dynamometers, have to make an adjustment for losses through tyre slip, some tuners fit slicks to cut down on this loss.

Then there have to be adjustments made for environmental conditions - temperature, pressure and humidity.

Once this is all done, there is still a problem - getting the right amount of air to the intercoolers and air intake box. This is one reason why many Formula One teams place their engine brake below their wind tunnel - so they can hoist the air intake into the airstream at 300k per hour to measure the real horsepower.

So you see, just putting a car on a dyno doesn't actually do very much. What they are useful for is measuring what happens before and after making a change to an engine.

Differences they can measure, absolutes - no, no way.

As far as not taking a car to a tuner without a dyno, well from the tuners viewpoint, what is to be gained from repeating the same meaningless test (measuring ficticious bhp) endlessly? Its all smoke and mirrors.

When you have a serious car, and you take it to a serious tuner, or the factory that built it for you, they take the engine out and test it on an engine brake.

R+C