PDA

View Full Version : BB Exhaust ordered

BBGT2
May 19th, 2004, 16:11
Well after seeing the thread about the Billy Boat exhaust I went ahead and ordered it from APR, apparently they sold that whole product line to APR. I am very excited to see/hear what it looks and sounds like, I even paid for overnite shipping so I will have it installed tommorow and will have pictures and sound (if I can figure out how to record sound with my Exilim camera).
I have always loved the way the RS sounds and with this new exhaust it should sound even nicer. Will keep you guys posted.

Bajo:addict:

Klint
May 19th, 2004, 16:39
What an impulse buy :D.

It'll need running in before you get to hear the exhaust's potential....so, you shouldn't be expecting a noticeable increase in sound instantly. :thumb:

Erik
May 19th, 2004, 16:46
LOL!

For some inspiration listen to this...

Eisenmann Exhaust on RS6

http://www.eisenmann-technik.de/export/galerie/galerie_detail_id_307_ovs_rbrk_33_ovs_ug_.php

BBGT2
May 19th, 2004, 17:53
Impulse yes, but its for my baby so it is well worth it, as far as "running in" I have never heard of that before for an exhaust system.
That eisenmann sounds pretty good to my ears, we will see what mine sounds like, either way I am sure it will be "better" sounding than the Audi sport exhaust that it came with.
I enjoy the muscle car growl from the beast with great intensity.

nene
May 19th, 2004, 19:30
From the limited pictures I found, it did look pretty decent looking and well made.

Please take pictures of the full exhaust when you get it, and before installation.

Also take pictures of the bent area. I think that it was bent to get around something, but the pipe still is 2.5" at the curve.

Then most definitely take good pix of the system installed.

Quick piece of advice. The exhaust itself is just sort of sleeved on, and then they put braces to tighten it together.
If the shop you are going to is good, I'd recommend that you weld the joints instead of using the braces. This will prevent any exhaust leaks. I did this when I installed the Scorpion and eventually the MTM exhaust I got for the S4.
When I change the exhaust on the RS6, I'll definitely do the same.
They can spray the weld joints with protective paint, that will withstand the heat as well.
Just some advice, although not a big deal.

Sorry if my post helped you make the decision. However, I'm glad for your purchase.

BBGT2
May 21st, 2004, 16:45
Well,

The system was installed today, and first impression is that it is TOO QUIET, I called APR and their response was that it shouldnt be quiter but more sportier and they are checking with Billy Boat exaust and will get back to be by monday. Also he also mentioned that it should be "run in" more and should get louder. Anyone else believe this, I dont have any experience in stainless steel exhaust so I will play dumb. Any comments appreciated or past experience will help.

Erik
May 21st, 2004, 16:49
Originally posted by Bajors6
Also he also mentioned that it should be "run in" more and should get louder.

After our trip through Germany, flat out most of the time, a friend in his M3 E46 Convertible is no longer looking to upgrade his exhaust.

"It is much louder now" he told me when I asked a few days ago. :rotflmao:

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/E55-RS6-M5-3.jpg

RobertV
May 21st, 2004, 16:51
I have never measured what the dB change is, but I always prefer the "broken in" exhaust note over the brand new exhaust.
Let us know what BB says.

BBGT2
May 21st, 2004, 17:07
Guys,

Thank you for your input I plan to drive it over the weekend and probably out 600 miles on it and we will see bext week.

nene
May 21st, 2004, 18:07
If the exhaust is quieter, it most likely has nothing to do that it's stainless steel. I think if it is quieter it must be because of the mufflers, center and rear.

Is it quieter on the inside? Under normal driving conditions, WOT, or both?

Is it quieter on the outside? Under normal conditions (driver's window opened), WOT, or both?

I know that the sport enhanced exhaust that comes stock has small almost bullet like mufflers, both center and rear, and that could be part of it.
Usually over time it's possible that it will open up a bit more, but I don't know that for sure either.

How does it look though? What does it sound like at WOT?

Erik
May 21st, 2004, 18:11
I'm sorry but what is WOT? :confused:

BBGT2
May 21st, 2004, 19:58
BB Exhaust

BBGT2
May 21st, 2004, 20:02
Sounds it is best sounding between 1500 - 2000 RPm, WOT (wide open throttle) not impressive, nowhere near the growl as OE sport exhaust, windows down or up same reverb heard at above mentioned RPM's.

BBGT2
May 21st, 2004, 20:10
2nd shot

Nordschleife
May 21st, 2004, 20:43
What did you expect?
Billy Boat is a joke exhaust company. Their experience is in American cars, not European turbo charged cars.
BB is all about the look of it.
Just look at where Billy Boat is coming from.
Now be sensible, flog this off on EBay and buy a proper exhaust system, from a company that understands what is involved and has tested the exhaust system on the car for both sound and power.
Your one consolation is that it was cheap, relatively.

R+C

Klint
May 22nd, 2004, 03:45
Some running is required, but I have doubts that the increase in sound would be substancial after the run in period.

Nordschliefe's suggestion might be a viable option, or de-cat the RS6. :D

There's an alternative, and that's to wash out the back boxes, but that could be risky?

nene
May 22nd, 2004, 04:00
I think the exhaust looks nice.
I can't give an opinion on sound, because I've not heard it.

It seems that you mention quiet as in relative to the enhanced sport OEM exhaust. Have you ever heard a stock M5? Is it that kind of quiet?

I can't see how they would have made the exhaust extremely quiet, since after all you have a V8 under there. I don't think the exhaust is crap. It just might have not been what you were looking for.

I suppose we've all learnt a lesson at your expense however. If anyone is thinking of changing their exhaust system, they should have a talk with the manufacturer first to make sure that the exhaust is quieter or louder then stock, depending on preference.

I want more pix dude...!

Erik
May 22nd, 2004, 10:20
Nordschleife, what is your opinion on http://www.eisenhaus.com/

I visted their facility about a month ago and it looked ok.

nene
May 22nd, 2004, 14:16
The tips look pretty small to me. Should be bigger to fill out the cut out on the bumper.
Rear mufflers stick down too much. Also not sure the manufacturing looks that great...check out the rear muffler on the pic below.

http://www.eisenhaus.com/gallery/pics/RS6_6.jpg

Fast One
May 23rd, 2004, 03:50
There is some truth to the exhaust breaking in.When my dad had the milltek exhaust installed,i took the beast for a ride and only noticed a small difference in sound,was kind of dissapointed,but after a few hundred miles it loosened up,and now it sounds awesome at all speeds,growling at part throttle and roaring at full throttle,with people turning their heads:D P.S I had the same experience when i installed an exhaust system on my camaro.good luck:).....BTW i may be biased but personally i like the sound and look of the milltek exhaust best,the tips are the same shape as stock but larger,so they fill up the rear nicer,while still being stealthy.

JP4
May 23rd, 2004, 05:06
Originally posted by Erik
I'm sorry but what is WOT? :confused:

Hi Erik,

wide open throttle

:incar:

BBGT2
May 24th, 2004, 16:35
I am still waiting to hear back from Chris at APR.
The sound is what really bothers me, build quality is good but I only like the way it sounds between 1500 and 200 rpm's whereas after that it becomes quiter, the O.E. sport I like when I nail it and the sound it makes is ear pleasing whereas the APR/BB is quiter. I will let you guys know what happens after I talked with APR.

Klint: Wash out the back boxe's ? DO you mean gut the rear mufflers.

Thank's for all you input it is appreciated.

Nordschleife
May 24th, 2004, 17:22
Originally posted by Erik
Nordschleife, what is your opinion on http://www.eisenhaus.com/

I visted their facility about a month ago and it looked ok.

they have some nice stuff for Lamborghini.

For the RS6, I like systems which open up an extra outlet under boost, this is expensive but very impressive. A good tuner can tune the exhaust system to give you the noise you require.

R+C

Klint
May 24th, 2004, 19:34
Originally posted by Bajors6

Klint: Wash out the back boxe's ? DO you mean gut the rear mufflers.

Thank's for all you input it is appreciated.

Bajo,

The washing out will clear up the rear mufflers quite abit once it's been done but it'll take a few goes to get it to the sound your after, but the best bit is, you can pretty much taylor the sound to your preferences (up to a point).

Make sure the car is running and is on a 40-45 degree slope (or a similar slope, where the water wont remain inside the mufflers for too long) squirt a small amount of water up the back of the exhausts then give the throttle a good full bore blast, do this as many times as you like, then take the car out for a spirited drive where the exhaust system would evaporate the remaining fluids within the back boxes.

Remember, when you let off the throttle when in Neutral do it slowly so the engine doesn't suck the water further into the system, feel free to blip the throttle up the rev range (1000rpm > 5000/6000rpm) as you please, but when coming back down the rev range, take it easy.

I do this to the 325i regularly and it sound sensational with just the factory exhaust, many people wonder how it sounds soo good, if I de-catted it - then the world would come to an end. It sounds better than the R32 throughout the whole rev range.

TaTaPiRaTa
May 25th, 2004, 19:42
Originally posted by Nordschleife

For the RS6, I like systems which open up an extra outlet under boost, this is expensive but very impressive.
R+C

Are there any other tuners beside MTM who do it for RS6 as you LIKE it ???

:rs6kiss:
:addict:

Nordschleife
May 25th, 2004, 19:53
Marcin
Any good tuner can do this. If they can't perhaps you should not be using them.
R+C

andyp
May 26th, 2004, 02:07
Here's a couple of seconds of my Milltek exhaust at VIR ...

Milltek Exhaust (http://www.njhealey.com//VIR/RS6_VIR1.mov)

Courtesy of Kurt New

AndyP

BBGT2
May 26th, 2004, 14:22
Well I got some good news, APR says that the exhaust is the way it is and there is nothing they can do about it, but the guy tried to sell me a chip upgrade for the beast, and I just laughed at him.
I will probably be selling the exhaust to a frined of mine that has bought a RS 6 for his wife and I am awaiting my Milltek system, what I have read about them is pretty much satisfying and should have researched my options before going with billy boat/apr system, oh well you win some you lose some I guess.
And of course detailed pictures of the Milltek installed on the beast will be provided.

BBGT2
May 26th, 2004, 19:41
I just wanted to add that working with Stratosphere and Bob has been a pleasure, he is a gentelman, scholar and a born leader of his people. LOL
Cannot wait to get the Milltek system installed tommorow.