PDA

View Full Version : Videos: RS6 explodes a tire on track

Erik
May 12th, 2004, 21:01
Here is the video with the Audi RS6 around Nordschleife at Nürburgring.

Facts:
Audi RS6 Avant (stock 450 hp)
18" BBS CH with P Zero Corsa (R-tires)
Steel lines. Upgraded brake fluid.
Microphone mounted in the trunk.

Why did the tire blow?
Load index is only 670 kg on a heavy car.
Sometimes there were 4 people in the car, in the video only 2.
R-tires offer excellent grip, so the ABS never has a chance to kick in developing huge amount of heat into the disc and the rim.
We are not 100% sure what pressure we had inside the wheel at the time. We started at 2.7 cold which became 3.5 warm, then dropped the pressure. But that did not do anything good to the
driving performance, far from it so we added pressure again.
We talked to Sabine (M5 Ring-Taxi driver) and she uses 3 (not sure cold or warm?)

Videos - please SAVE AS...

This is an in-car video from the Audi RS6. In front of us are two Porsche Carrera RS. The last bit of the lap is more or less free from other cars. At the last turn the tire blows. The video ends with glowing discs and the aftermath. No one was injured in the incident and the car drove back through the gates by itself.

Long version ("full" lap for Nürbrurgring hardcores, approx 10 min)
http://www.audiforum.nl/~erikrs6/AudiRS6-Nordschleife-04.wmv

Short version (best of above, approx 3.15 mins):
http://www.audiforum.nl/~erikrs6/AudiRS6-Nordschleife-04-short.wmv

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/NS2004/Ringen-20040280-1.jpg

Bingocaller
May 12th, 2004, 22:04
WOW great vid :wo:

Love the sound and the overtakings :0:

Insane when the tire blew :MTM:

Glad no one was injured in the incident :thumb:

TaTaPiRaTa
May 12th, 2004, 22:15
Great vid !!!

A pity you didn't have GPS sticked to the console showing actual km/h.

Did you have spare wheel as the mobility kit probably didn't work, did it? :hihi:

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

Erik
May 12th, 2004, 23:23
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
Did you have spare wheel as the mobility kit probably didn't work, did it?

The car was driven very slow along the side of the track until the parking.

I know for sure the RS6 reached 250 km/h+ on the speedo
at Schwedenkreuz. According to sport auto they reach 242 Km/h (true speed).

This gives you an idea of the speeds reached:
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=singletest3_e.asp?Car=53

RobertV
May 13th, 2004, 00:37
Glad no one was hurt and thank you for sharing the video:D

JAXRS6
May 13th, 2004, 04:30
Man, that is just outstanding! The way the driver learned to keep up with the Porsche...then passed him...then the blowout...but after brief vibrations typical of any blowout, the car seemed calm as it was steered to the shoulder -- as you wrote earlier. And later pix seemed to show why: The Pirelli sidewalls remained firm and helped hold up the wheel. Don't you think?

Thanks so much for the video & earlier text, too. I just got my beast back today following an 80 mile dealer test drive with a new main wiring harness. Dealer & AOA seem optimistic that this will cure my car's past ailments. Also seems to explain why two new sets of MAF filters sent fault codes.

Thrust does seem very smooth; I'll know more after a drive later tonight & more miles tomorrow. Meantime thank you, Erik, for getting my Audiphile blood flowing again!

:thumb: :addict: :thumb:

PS -- How much is 670 kg in lbs?

Also wanted to say video appeared larger than most, then right click led to doubling of size to 6.5 x 9 inches -- very nice & much appreciated!:bow:

TheBrit
May 13th, 2004, 10:16
Originally posted by JAXRS6
PS -- How much is 670 kg in lbs?
2.2 lbs to a kg, so 304.5 lbs if my maths are right.

RobertV
May 13th, 2004, 10:27
670 kg would be 1474 lbs. :thumb:

TheBrit
May 13th, 2004, 10:45
Originally posted by RobertV
Oh yes, how stupid of me. One of those mornings, not enough coffee yet. :doh:

7:53 RS6
May 13th, 2004, 12:07
Originally posted by Erik
The car was driven very slow along the side of the track until the parking.

I know for sure the RS6 reached 250 km/h+ on the speedo
at Schwedenkreuz. According to sport auto they reach 242 Km/h (true speed).

This gives you an idea of the speeds reached:
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=singletest3_e.asp?Car=53

250km+ on speedo over the big bump at swedenkreuz fore sure. But maybee Rs6 lose some speed becouse of the transmission here?
Freinds of me whit m5 is entering the bump in maybee 260-270 on speedo. It sure is nice going over the bump in these speeds and breake hard after. But I think its much more exating to hold flat tru the lowest point at Fuchsrure and breake after you are thru. Its really crazy fun. :MTM:

iconcls
May 13th, 2004, 12:14
Originally posted by TheBrit
2.2 lbs to a kg, so 304.5 lbs if my maths are right.

Oh now you've done it, Sister Nordo is gonna be all over your @ss with her ruler! ;)

May 13th, 2004, 12:47
Originally posted by iconcls
Oh now you've done it, Sister Nordo is gonna be all over your @ss with her ruler! ;)

Yeee, watch out or else you get spanked by sister Nordo.
Got my self a big spanking yesterday, that ruler rely hurts. Its still hard for me to sitt on my @ss ,ha,ha:D :D

iconcls
May 13th, 2004, 13:13
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Got my self a big spanking yesterday

Yeah, like I had NO idea what you were trying to say until the chastisement. ;)

ZCD2.7T
May 13th, 2004, 13:58
Absolutely one of the coolest street car/track videos I've ever seen!

The driver obviously knows the track well.

The SOUNDS are really great, too.

Sigh......one day maybe I'll get to drive that legendary track. :-\

Thanks!:rs6kiss: :addict: :race:

rs6_newyork
May 13th, 2004, 15:13
Those glowing rotors! no wonder regular fluid boils so easily.

Did the car need new rotors after this? or just new pads?

It seems to me the brakes on the RS6 need more ducted cooling for that kind of work out?

JAXRS6
May 13th, 2004, 18:23
Originally posted by RobertV

Very interesting, because 1474 lbs is well below the 1709 lbs max load rating that is stamped on side of the Pirelli Pzeros that came with my US beast.:eye:

Doesn't this episode strengthen the argument for using only High Load tires? That debate has been underway for a while on another thread here:

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3568

Personally I'm limiting my search to the only three 18" tires that have the Heavy Load designation which reportedly is recommended by Audi: Dunlops, Pirellis or Michelin Pilot Sport (but no PS2s). All others found to date either fall short on fitment, don't have the Heavy Load designation, or are not available in 18" for the US.

Aronis
May 13th, 2004, 18:36
That was a GREAT video!

How many laps was that 2 or 3...

Did that Yellow Porsche stay on your tail after you passed?

That tire was toast, looked like a retread that exploided! YIKES...

Were the Rotors "Glowing" or you just using red pads???

Mike

PS. I could just barely make out you saying "OH SHIT," when the tire went! Hell I would have said that or more!

May 13th, 2004, 18:54
Originally posted by rs6_newyork
Those glowing rotors! no wonder regular fluid boils so easily.

Did the car need new rotors after this? or just new pads?

It seems to me the brakes on the RS6 need more ducted cooling for that kind of work out?
Check out thread , rotors fixed!

I had racing oil whit higher boilingpoint in still I phushed the brake pedal to the bottom 3-4 times that lap. And 3 times on previous lap. The r-tiers is the biggest reason! And its a hevy car the Avant. Whit the contis I dident fade the breakes. Many peopel seing my rotors said" its just to throw away" This is not needed.(I did use them for a long time loking like that and it was ok but not 100%) Guess what your lokal Audi dealed whould have said about the throwing away thing. Anyway I did take away some metal of my rotors and they now look like new,and will last a bit longer. Of course later on I have to change. The way I use my cars its chepper to make things last a bit longer. Done this many times before on difrent cars and rotors.

Ducted cooling would be god i think aswell.
No track you can pull lap, after lap after lap.... whit stock setup that is. But I guess no one have expected that, I do not expect my rs6 to cope whit that. But I would have expected that of a CSL or a GT3. Any way I think the breaks are doing a great job on a hevy car like this. :race:

REplica
May 13th, 2004, 19:08
hi,

nice video!!!

what's the name of the song which's played after the tire blews?

greetz

TheBrit
May 13th, 2004, 20:06
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Doesn't this episode strengthen the argument for using only High Load tires?
Really, I can't see how there can still be a debate about it - To avoid the risk of blowouts, only tyres with a 96 or higher load rating should be used, period.

Your P Zeros have a max load of 1709lbs, which at a glance seems way more than enough. Assume an RS 6 with a driver and full tank of fuel weighs some 4100lbs (guessing), with a 58% front weight distribution, that's 1189lbs on each front wheel when it's just sitting there doing nothing. Now imagine how much that changes even at moderate speed when cornering throws a load of weight to the outside corner of the turn? Then if you were to hit even a small bump or dip in the road surface, the sudden increase in road force on the tyre would be substantial.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it, ever. Extra Load tyres are better equipped to handle a porker like the RS 6 under all conditions, and they tend to have more reinforcing bands in the sidewalls, which surely can't hurt their ability to withstand hard cornering.

May 13th, 2004, 20:48
Originally posted by Aronis
That was a GREAT video!

That tire was toast, looked like a retread that exploided! YIKES...

Mike

PS. I could just barely make out you saying "OH SHIT," when the tire went! Hell I would have said that or more!

Whit the porker I just go one lap at a time. Thats what you get when driving a porker :D

Yes, and he was kind to stopp after me and pick all the rubber on track. Tanks man!

Dont understand what red pads are?

You here my passenger saying oh.....sh... a relly nice guy from norway. By the way he drives prety fast whit a old volvo 240. And tanks fore the help whit the tier Öivind

Erik
May 14th, 2004, 11:23
Originally posted by Aronis
That was a GREAT video!

Thanks.
The track is quite long, about 22 km.
A Porsche GT3 needs 8.03 to finish one lap, the RS6 8.20 (full lap, nout the tourist style BTG Bridge-To-Gantry).
The yellow Carrera RS stayed in the tail and helped us - he's a friend our ours.
The rotors are glowing - and the video was recored about 10 minutes after the tire blew!!!

More GT3 vs. RS6 info
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=5

Erik
May 14th, 2004, 11:26
I am surprised no one mentioned it yet so I'll do it.

quattro...

What if this happened to the "wrong" wheel on a car with front- or rear-wheel drive? :vhmmm:

REplica
May 14th, 2004, 12:25
hi erik,

can you say me the name of the song?

greetz

Erik
May 14th, 2004, 12:31
Originally posted by REplica
can you say me the name of the song?

Sorry, forgot to reply to you:

YELLO - "The Race" :music:

Also try "Drive, Driven" and "Oh, Yeah"