PDA

View Full Version : Rotors fixed

7:53 RS6
May 11th, 2004, 21:04
Wow the rotors on RS6 is relly big and hevy. Ok its one thing to see them. But somting els when having them in a box
and caried them to the workshop, they are MONSTER rotors when carrying them phuu....and loking at them in your arms!

Did take some metal of my rotors on each side.
New they are 340mm mine was 335 and relly small kracks all over and big skratches. Since Nurburgring in April. They relly loked like Sh..t . But worked but not to a 100%
When out of work shop they are now like new and a bit over minimum allowens 320mm(its printed on the rotor)

Its not god to go under 320 even if it will work. But then be really carrfully to check that there is plenty whit pads left all time.
If not the pistons may be pushed over its one axel and they may bend or go of.

This is cheep,88eur for to front rotors on each side. New front
rotors cost ca: 1000eur.

Nordschleife
May 11th, 2004, 21:33
Go and get a ruler and look at what 340mm actually is.
Then look at 335 mm
and, finally, 320mm.

What you mean is 34 mm, 33.5mm and 32mm.

Do this and you will 'Learn By Doing'

How long has Sweden been using SI (Metric) units? DUH????

R+C

TheBrit
May 12th, 2004, 11:53
Nordschleife, you really don't pull any punches do you? I'll admit to being amused and horrified in equal measures at the tone of your comments - I know you're not here to glad-hand folk, but all the same that's some put down...

As to brake discs, well there's been discussion before about how suitable, or not, they are for heavy use. I've actually noticed a day or two ago that I have some hairline cracks forming on the front discs again (happened previously at <10k miles), similar to this picture I took last time round, except this time I've got a nice set of concentric grooves forming as well:
http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/Dsc00418-zoom.jpg

Time for another trip to the dealer then.

Erik
May 12th, 2004, 11:56
Originally posted by Nordschleife

We could continue this discussion in Swedish if you like ;)

Aronis
May 12th, 2004, 13:11
Originally posted by Erik

Ya, but noone would read it!

LOL

:hahahehe:

May 12th, 2004, 14:32
Originally posted by TheBrit
Nordschleife, you really don't pull any punches do you? I'll admit to being amused and horrified in equal measures at the tone of your comments - I know you're not here to glad-hand folk, but all the same that's some put down...

As to brake discs, well there's been discussion before about how suitable, or not, they are for heavy use. I've actually noticed a day or two ago that I have some hairline cracks forming on the front discs again (happened previously at <10k miles), similar to this picture I took last time round, except this time I've got a nice set of concentric grooves forming as well:
http://www.dlinternet.co.uk/chris/rs6/Dsc00418-zoom.jpg

Time for another trip to the dealer then.

Think your rotors lookes fine. What I know about rotors hair line cracks is nothing to worry about. Maybe you dident? Compered to my groves yours is no problem i think. :)

Nordschleife
May 12th, 2004, 14:38

Erik

You mean that over an Aquavit or two at the Zanzibar, you would explain the finer points of 'I am curious, Yellow'???

R+C

May 12th, 2004, 14:40
Then look at 335 mm
and, finally, 320mm.

What you mean is 34 mm, 33.5mm and 32mm.

How long has Sweden been using SI (Metric) units? DUH????

R+C

Just before this thred I was starting to wonder where you was. Gone a while!! Was ther somthing i said?:)

Erik
May 12th, 2004, 14:45
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Think your rotors lookes fine. Compered to my groves yours is no problem i think. :)

Understatement of the Year. :lovl:

A picture of 8:29 RS6's brake discs after our visit to Nürburgring.
Tell me what you think. :hihi:

Nordschleife
May 12th, 2004, 14:55
Chris

.......and I thought I was being kind!

In this case, the error in reporting the rotor dimension, might lead one to believe that the rotor is as thick as its diameter, rather a strange shape, or even more bizarely that the circumference of the rotor was being machined.

Unlike languages, numeracy is polyglott, an error in English is equally erroneous in Swedish.....

R+C

Erik
May 12th, 2004, 14:58
In this case, the error in reporting the rotor dimension, might lead one to believe that the rotor is as thick as its diameter, rather a strange shape, or even more bizarely that the circumference of the rotor was being machined.

No one around here is that stupid.

End of story. Back to topic. Thank you.

Aronis
May 12th, 2004, 15:14
Then look at 335 mm
and, finally, 320mm.

HARSH, Thats HARSH.

Nordschleife needs a spanking with that very same ruler...

LOL...

Mike

TheBrit
May 13th, 2004, 10:09
Understatement of the Year. :lovl:

A picture of 8:29 RS6's brake discs after our visit to Nürburgring.
Tell me what you think. :hihi:
Now that's one badly mauled set of discs! OK, so mine look nowhere near as bad as that, but Lincolnshire's backroads shouldn't be as punishing as a few laps of the Green Hell (actually Lincolnshire's rural road network could be called a Green Hell for different reasons...).

Last time this happened, I got them replaced under warranty. I suppose I should see if my dealer's going to repeat me the courtesy.

May 13th, 2004, 12:52
Originally posted by TheBrit
Now that's one badly mauled set of discs! OK, so mine look nowhere near as bad as that, but Lincolnshire's backroads shouldn't be as punishing as a few laps of the Green Hell (actually Lincolnshire's rural road network could be called a Green Hell for different reasons...).

Last time this happened, I got them replaced under warranty. I suppose I should see if my dealer's going to repeat me the courtesy.

Can you throw mine in there as well. :) just kidding