PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old, in with the new

Klint
May 9th, 2004, 19:01
Afternoon,

The 325 will be departing in the coming months, I've learnt how to drive in this car, powerslide it like Tiff Needel (off the tarmac), learn new aspects of mechanical engineering and have had a thoroughly enjoyable ownership experience of my first automotive piece of engineering. One that I shall never forget.

I've enjoyed washing it, looking after it and driving it the way it should be driven, which sometimes isn't the most sympathetic way to treat mechanics, but what is a car for anyway?

I love the car dearly and it'll be missed when the time comes to change the car.

Why I've started this thread, is that there's a much newer and possibly better car just around the corner, but you got to guess what it is. :D

There's a few points before the order for the motoring icon (first clue) will be cleared since it's being facelifted in a few months time (second clue).

The dealer also has a stunning example available to take away 'today' which will be used as a Demo if it isn't sold and will be the one I've been booked in for a test drive. If I don't get the one in the showroom - I'll be pondering about colours for ages and ages! The car looks good in so many of the colours that are available. So, i'll need maximum input on that one, if I take that route.

Recently though, the 325 has had many things go tits up on it, the Friday just gone, it had two new knock sensors and a new intake manifold fitted, but hasn't fixed the original problem.

The "tests" the dealer did a fortnight ago came in at a whopping £400 (for two hours work!), the work carried out on Friday will cost in the region of £750. This, the out of warranty work is another factor the 325 will be leaving our stable.

Another, is that the accountants hate "wasting resources", such as "why have a car if your not going to use it?" Otherwise the 325 would be a keeper and the newcomer would just add to the ever growing stable of ours. :)

I'm hesitant to give out clues as to what the newcomer will be, but I have a gut feeling Karman will get it right. :hihi:

Klint
May 10th, 2004, 16:31
Today's clue - It has four wheels and three doors. :bye2:

It's within the BMW family tree.... ;)

Any ideas yet?

Erik
May 10th, 2004, 16:38
A future classic - so I was told by BMW M.

http://www.racimex-japan.co.jp/z3-m-coupe-rear.jpg

Audihead
May 10th, 2004, 16:55
How about this one? The new 1 series.

Erik
May 10th, 2004, 16:55
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
How about this one?

I think it has another 2 doors on the other side ;)

Klint
May 10th, 2004, 17:04
Good guesses, Gentlemen. But your both wrong.

Let me elaborate on the "It's still within the bmw family tree"...

It's still within the BMW family tree but isn't a BMW.

Any ideas? :D

Audihead
May 10th, 2004, 17:06
I get it now!

Klint
May 10th, 2004, 17:13
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
I get it now!

That's the one...Should be a worthy replacement of the 325, and about time!

I'm 50:50 with the Works Package and I haven't got a clue about colours, although DarkSilver/Black, Chilli Red/White, Hyper Blue/White with matching bonnet stripes and chrome mirrors have made it to my short list of colours, but I think the Hyper Blue is too light and too much Like Electric Blue than Indi blue ever was.

ChilliRed/White, stands out, and that's a problem and defies one of the reasons for considering the SCooper - i'm trying to go low profile on this one and DarkSilver/Black is way too common. So, i'm really going to need some help with this one.

:confused:

krm
May 10th, 2004, 17:15
Originally posted by Klint

I'm hesitant to give out clues as to what the newcomer will be, but I have a gut feeling Karman will get it right. :hihi:

Hey Clint, where did you come up with that wild idea?? :vhmmm: ;)

Bimmerhead probably got the cake before I did, but I second that it will be a MINI, and highly likely it will be a Cooper S since your household seems to love the more performance oriented cars. :)

Keep us posted with more details mate.

:cheers:

krm
May 10th, 2004, 17:26
Oops, too late to respond I suppose.

Hey, why not go for the classic look -> Pepper White/ Black top with some black stripes. Throw in the JCW package, some PSS9 coilovers, a set of lightweight wheels, and even a set of brembo's, and you've got yourself a very desirable hot hatch. (that's the setup I've always wanted too! :D )

Don't forget the 'proper' manual for the MINI :hahahehe:

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/Gas%20O/howtomotor.jpg

sturs6
May 10th, 2004, 17:39
Awesome Klint,
I test drove the Mini and loved it. Being married with a little one it is hard to buy such a car. It is a blast to drive I spent some time on a test drive and loved it.
Check out this works video if you have not seen it all ready but you probably all ready have. John Cooper Works video (http://www.johncooper-mini.com/videos/jcw_tuningkit_sure.wmv)
You may want to look into the yellow or blue with the new EU flag on the roof:D

sturs6
May 10th, 2004, 17:48
It looks to me, this is my opinion, that the picture krm posted has a flaw in it. If you look at the first position picture, and I believe the second, the poor soul on bottom their foot is hanging out the window. This, again in my opinion, may cause several problems; as mentioned in the poster the mini's window switches are on the dashboard this could squeeze the undeserving persons leg in the window causing excess screamin:D which would alert some and then the leg hanging out the window moving around may also draw unwanted, at least by some, attention to the vehicle.
Again all of this was my opinion of the poster. Other than that it is something Klint you may want to print out and hang on your dash for reference once the car arrives. :D

Those gold handcuffs may comein handy also Klint!!! :thumb:

Klint
May 10th, 2004, 21:47
:rotflmao: :applause:

That's great Karman/Stuart!! :applause:

Thanks for the suggestion with the classic look, Karman. Stuart thanks for the idea of the yellow EU look too, both are good, but not my cup of tea unfortunately. Good ideas, though, so keep them coming.

The blue does look rather good....I'm not too interested in vinyl on the roof. It just doesn't do any favours for the car, although it has it's time and place - I still couldn't/wouldn't commit myself to having the Union Jack on the roof, although from the "05" point of view, it'll be easy to point out. :)

www.mini2.com has been of great use, still currently researching options, here are somethings on the '05 MCS that I don't like such as the third sunvisor, that's rather pathetic, but other updates I like, such as the new headlights/tai lights, the extra 7bhp and the option of an athracite roof lining. :D

05 is a flying copper chopper;)

Klint
May 12th, 2004, 20:51
Excellent work by the guys at Lancaster BMW, especially Andrew Wilson, Sales Excutive and some others, sorry if I haven't included you, many are a top bunch of gentlemen who are a pleasure to work with.

Anyway, 2:30pm was the time to arrive, I arrived early at 2:20, got to check out the Works packages being installed upstairs, along with an aero kit on one MCS, that was Chilli Red/White, with Chrome mirrors, i'll have to get a test drive of that soon, as to why, read on.

Andrew drove the car out of town due to the dealership's location being within the metropolitan area, busy as usual!

Took the car to a Mercedes dealership to turn around, they didn't like that! LOL. They were quick to click onto what was happening. Anyway, Whitestone garage (the mercedes dealership) has a not so positive salesman, who stalks you around the showroom.

I got in, set up the car seats etc, then got under way, first thing I noticed is the torque, or lack of, this is in comparison to the 325. You need revs to get the car moving, and under 1500rpm the engine is your average 4 pot Chrysler powerplant. Above 1500rpm, you start to hear the supercharger whine, how marvelous, love it! And the engine keeps pulling strong all the way to the redline, at Aprrox. 7k rpm.

The rate the car accelerates is rather deceptive, you don't feel the sudden urge of toqrue/power as you get in the 325 when you stomp on the throttle, but a build up of revs, power and speed in the Cooper S. Great fun.

Handling wise, well, it's a good compromise between the excellent handling that the car posesses and comfort. I think handling was in favour of the MINI Cooper S engineers, the suspension is as stiff as the R32s, do I need two R32s? The 325 is usually used as my comfort beater, for when I'm not feeling well, or want a more comfortable ride.

The steering was extremely precise, the centre psotion of the wheel didn't feel numb or dead, and the slightest twitch made the Cooper S' front end respond, no delay there. But the car did feel a little 'bouncy' up front when braking hard and making fast moves with the wheel. Weird feeling since I'm use to a much more 'planted' feeling up front.

In and throughout town the car was really cool, it does bounce over the bumps and you feel them through the wheel and your backside, which is good when balancing the car on the 'edge'. It has potential to become frustrating, but I doubt that, since I'm still young. :D (And proud to be!)

The car had the chilli pack and was Electric Blue over White. A colour I wouldn't opt for.

Now, time will tell if I'll commit myself to getting one.

Dark Silver/Black with matching stipres and Chrome mirrors with the S spokes sounds rather promising....

sturs6
June 5th, 2004, 13:02
I had to revivie this thread when I found these pictures.
I hope you can tell what it is.
Just thing Snake...

sturs6
June 5th, 2004, 13:02
Now for the interior..

Klint
June 5th, 2004, 18:49
Very snake like... :hihi:

The MINI has the most accessories available to any other manufacturer/model, currently in the British market.

MINI had a great show/stand at this year's British Motorshow! Loved the show though....it was so good, everyone who's seen it should go out there any buy MINIs. :D

I also saw the MINI face-lift and Hyper Blue exterior and interior colours which is new for 2005 productions. I think I'm sold on it, just waiting for the Turbo S deal to go through.

sturs6
June 6th, 2004, 02:42
I would love to have one but it is so far from the dealer and they require it to be brought back to them for service. puke: :brag:
So anyway...