PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filters are coming !!

Speed Technik
May 9th, 2004, 17:19
Finally, after several conversations with K&N and pushing them to make a filter for the car, the filters for the RS6 are comming out and we have ordered 10 pairs to start.

As always, we will dyno before / after with these to see what is up.

2 per engine in the 4.2 TT configuration.

Will keep everyone updated wih numbers when they become available.

I have no problem shipping these anywhere in the US and parts of Europe.

Brian

nyrs6
May 9th, 2004, 18:40
Just the filter? O r a whole kit?

gnomik007
May 10th, 2004, 13:21
Do u think it will be better than dahlback system for example?

TaTaPiRaTa
May 10th, 2004, 20:48
Great info, but tell us what you expect it to be - price wise and performance wise.

thx :addict:

EternalX
May 11th, 2004, 06:18
what kind of long range testing have been done for these filters? k&n are notorius for causing numerous problems on other audis, including the b5 s4. ive read a few cases where people have had trouble with warranty claims due to the oil that has come off the filter and gone inside the engine.

gnomik007
May 11th, 2004, 14:31
Originally posted by EternalX
what kind of long range testing have been done for these filters? k&n are notorius for causing numerous problems on other audis, including the b5 s4. ive read a few cases where people have had trouble with warranty claims due to the oil that has come off the filter and gone inside the engine.

I heard the same thing and was advised to stick with the original air intake system.However,a number of tuners like MTM and Sportec etc. in their packages all mention air intake upgrades.So the question is - what do these upgrades consist of?Is it just a similar to K&N filter or something more sophisticated and different?

Dark Knight
May 11th, 2004, 20:11
Hmm, can't remember where I read the article that had some excellent comparative data on stock vs. aftermarket vs. no air filter. There's often little improvement from stock (particularly on specialty cars like the RS) to after market. When I raced bikes we did an amazing amount of research on how to squeeze more HP out of the modern highly, highly tuned engines from the factory and nearly every magazine, racer and weekend track warrior used stock because they were so good.

For the extremely minimal gain I'm leaving mine as-is. However, (door always open!) if anyone tries them and has objective dyno numbers let me know!!

Phinnbill
May 12th, 2004, 01:46
Don't know about K&N air filters and use on Audi's, but if you search the threads on M5board.com you will find members experiences with them in M5's and other BMW's. Some like the K&N's; others had problems with oil from the filters causing problems with the MAFs (MAFS required cleaning and/or replacement). As gnomik007 stated for the Audi's, many were advised to return to the standard M5 air filters. Interesting to see how, if at all, K&N's affect the RS6 (including performance).

schackman
May 12th, 2004, 03:44
Originally posted by Speed Technik
Finally, after several conversations with K&N and pushing them to make a filter for the car, the filters for the RS6 are comming out and we have ordered 10 pairs to start.

As always, we will dyno before / after with these to see what is up.

2 per engine in the 4.2 TT configuration.

Will keep everyone updated wih numbers when they become available.

I have no problem shipping these anywhere in the US and parts of Europe.

Brian

I ordered mine directly thru K&N for my RS6 back in the first of April 2004. They have already been made and have been out for the car for a while now.

For anyone interested call K&N directly and they will ship them out next day. Part # 33-2866 it requires 2 filters, easily installed.

The gains I found seemed to be more top end for the RS6. The faster you go, the more air that gets in........sort of a ram effect.
Did not notice any low end gains.

I did not Dyno........just seat of the pants feel.

As for any other issues. As long as the filter is not dripping of oil and has been properly oiled and dryed.....as it comes from K&N there should not be any issues.

I have ran K&N for years in lots of differnt cars...European and American, and never had a problem.

I believe the gains to be minimal, but the better a filter can breath in more air....the better the engine can use it and get rid of it.

Schackman

PS: Resolved the issues with the RS6 and my Dealer. My RS6 is back home again. Hopefully with no other problems.
Did not mean to rant on from the previous threads, I just wanted the car to "RUN":applause:

TaTaPiRaTa
May 12th, 2004, 15:58
Can you tell us how much you payed for a pair.
thx

:rs6kiss:

Erik
May 12th, 2004, 15:59
Originally posted by schackman
PS: Resolved the issues with the RS6 and my Dealer. My RS6 is back home again.

That's great! :cheers:

gnomik007
May 12th, 2004, 16:31
Do K&N filters let more air through and stop all the dust particles and other crap in the air like the original filter,or it lets in more air and more crap?

Bingocaller
May 12th, 2004, 16:38
We have just installed a K&N kit on one of my friends Peugot 205 Rally (Far from the RS6 but...)

It really made it sound great and added a couple of extra horses

Very easy to install and 0 problems yet

:mech:

Klint
May 12th, 2004, 22:36
I doubt the filters will provide substantial power improvements, but throttle response and intake sound will improve.

It's one for the butt-o-meter, not the dyno. :incar:

gnomik007
May 12th, 2004, 22:39
Lets hold a vote and see how many people would go for K&N filter and how many won't.It would be interesting to see the results.

TaTaPiRaTa
May 12th, 2004, 22:52
Originally posted by gnomik007
Lets hold a vote and see how many people would go for K&N filter and how many won't.It would be interesting to see the results.
Good idea !!!

See there to vote:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4115

:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

nene
May 12th, 2004, 22:59
Personally I always thought of getting the K&N setup if I was taking the car to a show of sorts. They always seem to add a few more 'wows' to the whole experience to other folks.

However, I don't think the K&N setup on the RS6 is that great looking. It might had a few more horses, but I'm more show then go anyway! I'll pass on the K&N.

Here's the setup stock and K&N side by side:
http://216.127.92.123/~dbrace/images/Engines/RS6.jpg

gnomik007
May 12th, 2004, 23:48
Originally posted by nene
Personally I always thought of getting the K&N setup if I was taking the car to a show of sorts. They always seem to add a few more 'wows' to the whole experience to other folks.

However, I don't think the K&N setup on the RS6 is that great looking. It might had a few more horses, but I'm more show then go anyway! I'll pass on the K&N.

Here's the setup stock and K&N side by side:
http://216.127.92.123/~dbrace/images/Engines/RS6.jpg

I think u r mistaken here.This is stock vs Dahlback kit,not K&N.

schackman
May 13th, 2004, 03:42
I think u r mistaken here.This is stock vs Dahlback kit,not K&N.

Thats right.........not the K&N System

K&N offers direct replacement filters for the RS6.

Same size and fit as stock...........remove the carbon fiber housing and remove the stock filters............replace with K&N

schackman
May 13th, 2004, 03:58
Do K&N filters let more air through and stop all the dust particles and other crap in the air like the original filter,or it lets in more air and more crap?

The filters are designed with a special oil suspended in the cotton gauze.

These filters bench flow more air CFM than stock

The oil acts to hold and trap more dust and debri than the stock filter, and continues to flow more air.

You will have no problems with the direct replacement K&N filters.

The gains are questionable from their claims...........but the do flow better under "faster speed" and are probablygood for a couple HP

The problem guys have with these filters is when they wash and re-oil them, somtimes they over oil the filter causing the excess oil to damage the MAS AFS resulting in problems.

I have let my K&N filters go 50,000 + miles with only Blowing out the dust with air and reinstalling them.

Check them out...............nothing to loose and you gain a few ponies and more top end.

Also check out....... BMC Filters .......... They are a European supplier of high flow filters similar to K&N.

They supply filters for Ferrari and others in F1

I have run these in Ferrari and Mercedes and had great results as well.

As explained before...........an engine is a compressor.

The more air it can take in and get out via air intake and Headers and Hi flow exhaust the more efficiantley it can produce more of its power.:thumb:

nene
May 13th, 2004, 14:33
I always thought the cup looking filters were the K&N look alike setup. That goes to show you that I'm not that smart...duh!!!
:alig:

GmbHouse
May 13th, 2004, 22:02
I had K&N filters in my A6 2.7T and subsequently had MAF sensor problems. Coincidence?? I never re-oiled them either.

gnomik007
May 14th, 2004, 02:16
What exactly is MAF

schackman
May 14th, 2004, 13:27
What exactly is MAF

Its the Mass Air Flow ....sensor

Because its fuel injected, putting an over abundance of air into the car cause to much "whirlling" of the fuel air mixture......which is not good.

It senses the amount of air about to enter the intake and makes adjustments via the computer before it mixes with the fuel.

Unlike a carburator, which with proper jetting loves lots of air ramming down its throat.

schackman
May 14th, 2004, 13:28
Originally posted by GmbHouse
I had K&N filters in my A6 2.7T and subsequently had MAF sensor problems. Coincidence?? I never re-oiled them either.

Did the dealer say they were covered in an oil film...........or was the MAF over-correcting for to much air flow ?

gnomik007
May 17th, 2004, 15:25
so whats the final verdict?

GmbHouse
May 17th, 2004, 17:13
I was throwing MAF sensor error codes with a noticeable decrease in performance. They pulled the sensors and cleaned them (you can search on the AW forums for details on how to do it yourself - on an A6 2.7T). It did the trick.

TaTaPiRaTa
May 21st, 2004, 22:03
This thread needs continuation....

Do we go for K&N or not :confused: :confused: :confused:

:mech:

gnomik007
May 22nd, 2004, 04:05
and what causes the problem,wrong usage or bad quality to start with

schackman
May 22nd, 2004, 05:30
Niether...............K&N and BMC filters are both good replacment filters.

For the minimal cost $125...................try them out yourself.........you will have nothing to loose.

Both filter the air going into the TB better than stock and bench flow more High RPM Horse Power @ top speeds.:w:

nene
May 22nd, 2004, 14:23
The pix I posted was from the Dahlbak configuration, but the K&N filters are literally identical. I've checked it out.
They are too close to the enginer compartment to probably make much of a difference. Only hot air going in there...and we know how hot it gets under there.

Nonetheless, I wish someone would bite the bullet and run with it. Here's what we need:
1) Dyno before and after installation
2) Short term update (this would include upkeep if it necessary) with lots of details
3) Long term update similar to short term update, but with yet more details and maybe another dyno.

So who's going to do it?

To the folks at SpeedTechnik:
You most likely have sold a few of these to your high performance customers. Have you ran any tests before/after installation?
Do you have any updates to share on the success, or lack there of, from the product on a short or long term update status type of thing?
You are selling these things. We'd surely hope you could share some more info, so we're not buying a set of the emperor's new clothes.

Thanks.

schackman
May 22nd, 2004, 20:07
I have a set of the K&N OEM replacement Filters. They are not the conical type filters you are talking about. The Dahlback system reqiures an entire intake modification.

These are the same dimensions as the OEM filters and go in the same spot as the OEM filters. ( See part # from my previous Thread )

I have had them since I purchased the car.

They difference Ive noticed with the K&N vs/ the stockers is that the K&N filters draw in more air at Higher speeds..... producing better top end feel.

I noticed no improvments Low end.

The car does seem to pull harder the faster I go.....typical of these filters regardless of Manufacturer.

I bought a set for my RS6 directly from K&N for less than $150 shipped.

They do breath better than the stock filters.........For Sure !

I did not Dyno my car...........just a seat of the pants feel.

For $150 - you cant loose anything !!!!!!

After market Filters are a no brainer when it comes to performance.

Ive run K&N in all of my American cars and some European.

And run BMC filters, which are made in Italy for the F1 cars, In Ferrari and lamborghini.

They are cheap performance upgrades which filter more debri and flow more air........what else is there to say ????

Like I said.......it should be a no brainer:brag:

nyrs6
May 23rd, 2004, 02:43
Any diffrenece in sound?

gnomik007
May 23rd, 2004, 03:57
What is better - BMC or K&N ???

And what do u think of BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox upgrade. There is no product for RS6 but one for RS4 sounds like a veru good upgrade.

schackman
May 23rd, 2004, 20:20
Originally posted by nyrs6
Any diffrenece in sound?

Yes.

There is more of a "Whooshing" effect under the hood because it is taking in more air the the OEM filters.............But not that bad

If 1 was stock......its about a 3..........on a scale of 10 for under hood noise.

schackman
May 23rd, 2004, 20:29
What is better - BMC or K&N ???

And what do u think of BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox upgrade. There is no product for RS6 but one for RS4 sounds like a veru good upgrade.

I have run both. I would say they are about equal as far as filtering and performance is concerned.

BMC was born out of F1 in Europe.

K&N did not want to participate in the volume of filters needed to supply the same "Brand Name" Street cars outside of F1

So BMC in Italy provides 99.9% of the filters all F1 cars run.

And also filters for the street cars as well........Ferrari, Audi, Honda, Toyota..........and other European cars alike.

They are both great companies with equally good product.

I found BMC in my search for 2 aftermarket filters for my Ferrari Challenge Stradale.
K&N did not carry them. So Some of the guys over @ Ferrari Chat.com turned me on to BMC.

Like before.....its cheap insurance (traps more debri) and a cheap way to get a little more out of your car.

If you guys can afford RS6's...........then $150 (-) for a couple of filters is a drop in the bucket.

TRY THEM OUT.....................YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED.:thumb: