PDA

View Full Version : Turbos suck!!!!

tailpipe
May 6th, 2004, 12:56
We need to wean all you turbo-holics off blown engines.

There is simply no substitute for the instantly available power of lots of naturally aspirated cubic centimetres.

Big engines that rev freely to high levels have a purity that needs to be experienced.

All you guys who want the next RS6 to have twin-turbo V-8 need to get with the programme. Read what the insiders are saying on these pages: There is no way it isn't going to have a V-10.

RobertV
May 6th, 2004, 13:26
:D

sturs6
May 6th, 2004, 14:48
Originally posted by RobertV
:D I thought they blew.
Nice Reply...:hihi: :hihi:

nene
May 6th, 2004, 15:27
Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...<br>Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbos...Turbo s...Turbos...Turbos...

Audihead
May 6th, 2004, 15:30
Repairs....Repairs....Repairs....Repairs....

:D

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

bilbozilla
May 6th, 2004, 17:19
My last 4 cars have had turbos and although I love the RS6, every time I push it, there is a sense that there is one more mechanical device that can fail as opposed to just plain powerful cubic centimeters.

This, of course, doesn't keep me from enjoying the car, but I will have to side with Bimmerhead and echo "repairs...repairs..repairs..." etc.

I'd opt for a NA v-10 rather then the TT V8 on the next RS6. W'll see how well Audi's marketing does on keeping the competitions eyes off the prize.

avdh
May 7th, 2004, 10:43
Turbos engines are problematic if they are badly engineered, which does not seem to be the case with Audi. At least their turbo cars don't give more problems than normally aspirated cars.
Most turbo cars which give problems have been (badly) chipped.

Having had 3 S3's (and still having one) without a single turbo problem (only DV problems), I am confident the RS6 is just as reliable as my S6 was.

As for the next RS6 (C6 platform) I will not even consider it if it is not turbocharged.

iconcls
May 7th, 2004, 12:43
You've probably never been blown.

sturs6
May 7th, 2004, 13:47
Originally posted by iconcls
You've probably never been blown. :hahahehe: :thumb: :applause: :hihi: :eek: :D

Bauer
May 7th, 2004, 16:32
Tailpipe- Have you ever owned a turbo charged Audi? They have become masters of turbo charging their cars. They have almost 25yrs of experience in doing it. I have owned several turbo charged Audis (chipped and unchipped) some with as many miles as 140,000 miles with no turbo problems. Not to say the component can't break or have a flaw, it can. I am currently going through that problem now. One of my turbos has a bad spring in the internal waste gate so they are going to have to repalce them both (they always do in pairs). This was just the unluck of the draw. One of my main berrings could have been bad instead but it was a simple spring.....just the way things go. But truthfully, I would not buy a performance Audi without turbos....I enjoy the extra power and tuneability that much.

Erik
May 7th, 2004, 16:37
Turbos or no turbos, the next RS6 will be very fast.

Just look at what the Gallardo accomplish in terms of performance.

avdh
May 7th, 2004, 17:00
Originally posted by iconcls
You've probably never been blown.

Not by a car, no :)

Aronis
May 9th, 2004, 00:24
The RS6 engine is a rather large displacement, 4.2 liters, is high reving 7000 rpm, and just happens to also be turbo charged.

Audi has years of experience with Turbo's and years of experience servicing them.

If you treat it right it will last for 100,000 miles or more....

Mike

RS6 OOOO
May 9th, 2004, 01:07
personally i would rather have a larger engine. the Lambo V10 would be wonderful. plus is i ever want turbos i can find someway to add a pair. :D

Aronis
May 9th, 2004, 01:34
There are advantages of a turbo charged engine that are not being considered in this thread.

WEIGHT.

A Big V10 is heavier.....changes the dynamics of the car.

For example, if you want big displacement get a Viper.....of course the handling depends on very wide tires, low slung car, and by the way its only a two seater....

Or a Corvette, same thing.

The lighter V8 TT lends itself well to a well ballanced (weight front to back) sedan.

The V10 will be heavier....what else can they move to the back to change the weight distribuition? The Driver..

Mike

tailpipe
May 10th, 2004, 11:50
I owned a Lancia Delta Integrale, Audi Quattro and Audi TT 1.8T. The Audis were infinitely superior in terms of reliability. The Lancia was infinitely superior in terms of power in a lightweight package. I exchanged the Integrale for a VW Golf VR6 when it first came out, the VR6 was replaced by the TT and the TT was replaced by my current M3 coupe.

In my experience, the power delivery of a naturally aspirated engine seems so much more linear. The gently-blown turbo options of the latest Audis and Mercs are very serious bits of kit, but there is something about the raw appeal of a naturally aspirated motor that is more seductive.

Aronis
May 10th, 2004, 15:38
The linear power of an M Engine is fantastic...but I wanted a four door with more room, and all-wheel drive, so the M5 was out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a turbo, but I have to agree that if BMW decides to do turbos or superchargers, the rest are in great trouble to keep up!

But the headline 'turbos suck' is a bit harsh.

Mike

avdh
May 10th, 2004, 15:54
Originally posted by Aronis
but I have to agree that if BMW decides to do turbos or superchargers, the rest are in great trouble to keep up!

Mike

So far, BMW has not been very unsuccesful with their turbo engines. Here, because of the altitude, the turbos spin more to give the same boost. BMW have had endless troubles with the 320 diesel.....

So when it comes to Turbos, I'll trust Audi rather than BMW.

tailpipe
May 10th, 2004, 16:49

Mike [/B][/QUOTE]

Mike,

You're quite right and I was just being a tad contraversial for the fun of the responese that have followed it, although I do genuinely prefer NA engines.

Like you, I would prefer a more practical 4-door car and would happily swap my M3 for an RS6 today were it not for the fact that this model has now been sperceded by the new version.

I had a look at the S4 Avant. This is a blinding machine! And no turbo! I may just get one...

Aronis
May 10th, 2004, 17:00
S4,

drove one, they are very nice, but not big enough for my family.....

the RS6 is faster anyway LOL..

Mike