PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Buying new HRE Wheels

noushy
May 6th, 2004, 03:02
Hello to my fellow RS6 owners, need some advice and help. I have finally decided to take the plunge and buy a set of HRE wheels for my RS6. Here are the choices and the rational behind it. Option 1: buy 18 inch wheels, retain stock tires, retain ride quality (or improved due to decreased unsprung weight), retain durability due to bad roads in michigan, best overall value. Option 2: buy 19 inch wheels, able to go to HRE R series reverse drop center wheels (ie: 540R series, 440R series, 840R series), more european look, sportier, less durability, much more cost (about $2000 more due to size and new tires), slight increase in weight. I have been looking at the 543 and 547 wheels. Most likely in high polished finish. The advantage of the normal drop centers is less vibration with rain and ughh snow. Granted I do not drive the car in the winter, it tends to be monsoon season in michigan most of the time. My wife has the 449R wheels on her S6 and when driven in heavy rain above 70mph, the vehicle will begin to shake. This is because rain gets trapped between the forged center and the drop center indentation. Once they dry out, they run perfectly again. I verified this with the HRE rep. So please, tell me what to do, I am planning on buying the 18 inch HRE 547 wheels and just making my life simpler unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

Noushy

audirs6sport
May 6th, 2004, 06:53
i say get hre 20's, 18's look tiny. i have my hre set ordered as 20's. but yeah def go with hre's, im glad i got sponsorship from them. their wheels are great =) :addict: :addict: :addict: :rs6kiss:

gnomik007
May 6th, 2004, 11:10
Guys,I am thinking of getting HREs too.I heard that they r good quality and custom built for each vehicle.I was thinking 840R series,but what width and offset do 20 wheels have to be to fit the beast?

BlackRS6
May 6th, 2004, 12:42
I am planning on buying the 18 inch HRE 547 wheels and just making my life simpler unless you guys can convince me

I would check with the HRE rep again on the 18" HRE wheels, when I discussed this with HRE (Mike Duffy 760-598-1960 x 206)
he said that only the 19" HREs would fit over the brakes on on the RS6 (I was looking at the 545R model. I had the concerns of going to 19" wheels as well. This was one of the reasons I decided to order 18" Fikse wheels (Profile 5) as they do fit the RS6 and are significantly lighter than the HRE wheels. I am currently waiting for wheels, they should be delivered in a couple of weeks.

noushy
May 6th, 2004, 14:13
It seems that several of you are looking at getting the wheels. The problem with all of the 'R' wheels (440R, 540R, 840R) is that they are a reverse drop center wheel. The 540 series is not. The hump for the drop center hits the the front rotors using an 18 inch wheel. Only the 540 series will fit in an 18 inch. If you want the other styles, must go to a 19 inch. The problem however with the reverse drop center wheels is that they trap water at high speed. If driving in the rain, it causes the car to shake. I had this problem on my wife's S6 with the 449R wheels. However if you do not drive in rain or snow, no problem. This is the reason I was choosing the 540 series, instead of the 540R series, and also because I did not want to deal with bent rims. For those of you who do not know the repair costs, it is quite expensive. Bend the front lip, around 200 to fix, bend both lips, around 600. I spend 1150 to repair two wheels on my wife's car when she hit road damage on the freeway. Not cheap, and takes about 6 weeks to repair. Just remember these issues.

Now, please help me choose, since I am going to order today or tommorow. :)

nene
May 6th, 2004, 15:31
I'd say the repair costs don't worry me too much, however the repair time does!

Thanks for the info on the R series wheels.

Did you ever think of getting Maya STM?