PDA

View Full Version : Making life easier getting the ECU out

Dark Knight
May 2nd, 2004, 21:32
Spoke with some of the chip tuners and also looked at their online instructions on how to get to and then remove the engine ECU, which they say is approx. 30 min job (have read some owners having a "bit of time" with removing the bolts however!).

Anyway, took my car to the guy who used to work on my race bikes because every single time I've asked him to work on my mods he's found a quicker and easier way of doing things.

Within ten minutes, he removed the weather stripping and perforated cover in the engine bay, got the five bolts out (without removing the driver side windshield wiper as some tuners suggest . . . he used a small socket to get to the one under the wiper, then gently took it out by hand), opened the casing, then using a lightweight hammer gently tapped a SMALL chisel made for soft metals into the head of the bolt pushing it counter clockwise and viola! Took the bolts out by hand! No need for drilling out the bolts or a drummel to make a screw head in the top of the bolt!

He got yet another giggle at how people have recommended doing the job and how difficult they make things.

Just thought I'd pass this approach on so it hopefully saves some others some time!!