PDA

View Full Version : Interior condensation...anyone else?

AlanN
April 29th, 2004, 20:51
Hi all,

I have a *very* bad problem with my RS6 Avant.
When the weather is as it has been here in the UK today, as in raining, if I drive the RS6 and then park it, when I come back to the car it is *really* badly condensated on the inside of the windows.

I'm not talking a bit of mist that clears in seconds as soon as the aircon kicks in, it's FLOODS of running water on the inside.
The aircon doesn't touch it, even if I hit the demist button :eye:

Now I know I am not alone with this because I know of another owner near me with the same problem?

I plan on demonstrating this problem to my local dealer tomorrow but just wondered if anyone else had/has the same.

nene
April 29th, 2004, 21:02
I've had 'similar' issues, where a couple of times, I came back to the car, and all the windows were fogged up badly.
It's as if it was the car where the Titanic Birds made love in!!!

No running water though...at least not that bad yet!

Erik
April 29th, 2004, 21:08
I had the same on my A6.

The problem is well known. Can't really describe it in the correct terms, but check the floor for water. The interior of my car was flooded but the remedy is simple. There's some rubber xxx (liner?) which is lose where the water enters from the eninge bay.

:cry:

Aronis
April 29th, 2004, 21:13
I have seen this in another car before.

Are all you carpets dry, especially front passenger side?

I had service on a car before and they pinched the drainage hose on the air conditioner condenser.

So when the hot weather came and I was using the A/C the condenser filled with water, thus the extra moisture was trapped in the car. SOooo the windows showed it! Especially in the hot sun.

So check the carpets for overflow water...
Could be as simple as dirt in the drain line.

Mike

Bauer
April 29th, 2004, 22:18
Yep,

I have a similar problem...however I had my windshield replaced and it is leaking so it only happend last time it rained....getting fixed soon.

RS6FEVR
April 29th, 2004, 22:37
Cheers All:
I can tell you that you never want to go to a car wash (touchless of course LOL) with the A/C on auto. My experience in both Chicago (cold weather) and Tucson (hot weather) results in interior condensation only if the A/C has been on and restarted right after the car emerges from the wash. Put it on Econ, and not a trace of a problem? I never wound up with puddles like AlanN, but, all of the windoows wound up totally fogged in this condition. Interested to hear other A/C stories and dealer explanations.
:addict: FEVR :addict:

Klint
April 29th, 2004, 22:43
So it isn't condensation but rain actually getting into the car? If so, find out where the water is coming in, mihgt mean some monkying around the inside of the car, but that can be fun.

If it's a case of severe condensation then a good tip is to keep the sunroof in tilt mode, even when it is raining. Works with the 325. :0:

gnomik007
April 29th, 2004, 23:21
I got the same thing ans it is definately not leaking.

nyrs6
April 30th, 2004, 00:35
Yup i see it mostly when i wash the car.

TheBrit
April 30th, 2004, 10:42
Alan,

I get some misting occasionally when the car's been used in the rain and the temperature then drops low enough that the AC shuts off (<3C I think?), then next time it comes on, the trapped moisture all comes back out.

Apart from that, it's usually just a light patch or two that clear up with a few seconds of full blowers.

Interesting that you and another local owner both have a problem, you don't go to the same dealer for service do you? My dealer offer me an AC health check/disinfection every service but I don't let them do it - I've never had a stagnation problem in any of my Audis (the Vectra SRi I had before the A4 was terrible though, but that's another story!). Your dealer haven't already tinkered have they?

nene
April 30th, 2004, 14:10
I've never take the beast through the car wash, thus I have no idea if it's leaking. However, the car has been outside and runnign around the past few days, and it's been raining in the Northeast USA quite hard. No water coming inside.

The only I noticed, mostly on those rainy days however, is tha all the windows fog'd up after the car was stopped. So, if I came back to the vehicle about 2 hours later, I'd have to use full blowers to clean the windshield.

Maybe it's just different from what some of you folks have noticed.

AlanN
April 30th, 2004, 14:41
Well the plot thickens.

I might add that this has been a problem since I have had the car but seems to be getting worse.

This morning was dry, and I was out most of the morning and no problem.

It has been raining this afternoon, and lo and behold I parked the car for 30 minutes and when I got back it was dripping :vgrumpy:

Imagine every time you leave the car for more than 10-15 minutes you come back to it and you have to use industrial paper wipes (that you are carrying a roll of in the back of the car for the purpose) to mop the windows on the inside of the car first, then clean the inside of the windscreen properly (i.e. so you can see through it properly).
As I said that I am not talking about mist, you can leave the demist and aircon on for 20 minutes and it will not touch it.
This performance itself take 10 minutes.

The inside of the car is bone dry (carpets etc) so I'm pretty sure there's no leaks as such.

My car hasn't been to a dealer as such yet (only 6000 miles) so it can't be anything they've "done".

My dealer of course deny all knowledge of this being a known problem (which of course may be the case).

I'm off to Cyprus :bye: for two weeks next week so I'll have to try and got this sorted when I get back :D

TheBrit
April 30th, 2004, 17:06
If it's dripping after 10-15 minutes, it'll be like a swimming pool after 2 weeks standing about! :bigeyes:

I've not long got back off holiday, but I already feel ready for another one. Enjoy Cyprus you lucky b****r!

AlanN
April 30th, 2004, 18:27
Thanks Chris I will...I'm going out there for the WRC...do every year :D