PDA

View Full Version : Oettinger . . . I searched, and I searched, and I searched!

Dark Knight
April 25th, 2004, 21:23
Before anyone jumps to write "use search" I did, extensively. I know this is an addiction when I sit down at 1pm to read one post and here I ma 4 hrs later!! LOL! From reading most (it feels like it!) of the posts about RS6 tuner I feel I've got a pretty good handle on the chip sets available out there.

AWE Tuning is 20 mins down the road from me and I do like what I hear about GIAC. However! I really like the sound of the German tuners in particular Oettinger and here's why A) their extensive history with VAG tuning, and B) they keep torque below 500 Ibs (I hear ZF says the RS6 gearbox is really engineered for up to 517 Ibs??).

So the question is: does anyone know how to get hold of the Oettinger chip set in North America? Also, does anyone have this chip set and if you do what do think and how long have you had it?

Ps. I've sent an email to CEC Wheels which is the official importer but I don't see anything about chip sets. THANKS!

CarbonFibre
April 25th, 2004, 22:01
You'd probably be better off calling CEC rather than e-mailing them if you want info fast.

Dark Knight
April 26th, 2004, 01:39
Thanks. I'll give them a call in the week if no email response.

Bauer
April 26th, 2004, 21:41
Not happy with APR?

Erik
April 26th, 2004, 22:00
This is all I can do to help.

http://www.rs6.com/articles/010.html

Dark Knight
April 27th, 2004, 01:22
Bauer -

I didn't read anything particularly damaging about APR, they seemed solid and certainly having a "battle" going with GIAC. I like the Euro tuners because of their long-term relationship with Audi plus (a big point for me) Oettinger doesn't take the torque over 500; I've got real concerns of long-term transmission reliability especially if the car is regularly "driven." It's OK all the tuners stating they have reliable chips, I believe they do, but the RS6 transmission seems to have a little bit of concern following it around. Additionally, no one has had a chipped RS6 for more than 20, 30, or 40,000 miles so no one knows how the tranny is going to hold up. And besides, I don't want a chip for more power, I just want that damn speed governor removed!!! LOL!

Do you have or are you thinking of going with APR?

Dark Knight
April 27th, 2004, 01:29
Eric -

Thanks for the article, I'd read that as part of my research. Good info.

Bauer
April 27th, 2004, 01:38
Dark night,

Sorry, I thought you had APR..my mistake:doh:

jimmy94507
April 27th, 2004, 06:50
I just got the June 2004 issue of European Car which contains Interesting Dyno results on the RS 6. In that article they also mention ABD has ordered an RS 6 with a six-speed manual transmission to do further development testing. Where do you suppose they are getting a car with a six-speed manual??

Jim

CarbonFibre
April 28th, 2004, 02:06
If you are worried about your car's long-term reliability and warranty, you can get chips that only remove the speed limiter and don't change engine behavior/performance.

nyrs6
April 28th, 2004, 03:37
OCT makes a chip that will ONLY take the limiter off and it cost alot less to. You can get it through stratmosphere

PS Why do you need the speed limiter removed? You hit 164 MPH already :thumb: :addict:

Dark Knight
April 28th, 2004, 14:24
Hey thanks guys!

Really good info and really excellent news nyrs6 about the speed limiter, I'll get in touch with Stratmosphere! Yep, I actually hit the limiter most weekends on a stretch of road when I'm heading to meet friends to go mountain biking. I used to race motorcycles so 155mph is comfortable and it's such a stable car . . . just don't like knowing that governor is there!

Thanks again for the info!!!

nene
April 28th, 2004, 14:26
I am in the NE USA too...please tell me where to play!!!

Dark Knight
April 28th, 2004, 14:26
Hey nyrs6 - what's experience with the OCT chips so far?????? Happy?? Any differences in driveability compared to stock??

Dark Knight
April 28th, 2004, 14:31
nene -

I'm in PA, the stretch of road is in NJ (THE worst place to get caught speeding!) and can't be setup for speed traps or radar, there's enough road to be up at the limiter for a minute or so. There are also a couple of nice stretches on the PA turnpike where cops can't hide, the road is straight and visibility really excellent, only thing is it's tough to get a clear stretch of road on the turnpike unless it's real early in the morning or at night -- then there are deer!!!! So no speeding then . . .

Summit Point raceway I hear you can get a stock RS6 up to 145 on the straight, that's not bad and much more fun and safer.

Later!