PDA

View Full Version : My first glimpse of perfection...

garetjax
April 22nd, 2004, 21:00
I have always liked Audi, in particular the A6. Clean lines, smooth transition from front flow of the car to the back, and though some might say that the looks of the car may be dreary, I find it exciting, possibly the best looking car I've ever seen in terms of sheer elegance.

Last week in Los Angeles, I was driving my '98 Passat to see a movie with my wife. Now, I have always loved the way the modern VW's look, as well as the fresher, cleaner look of the Audi's as well. However, when I saw a slate grey Audi zipping through traffic, I was like, WTF! I've never seen an Audi like that before! And lo and behold, it was an RS6 in full glory.

The first thing I noticed were its wheels. They were huge and you could see the sizable bright red brakes through the spoked wheels. Oh my god, I thought, this car has balls. My gaze traveled to the rear of the car now as it passed me in an instant, and the back end with the spoiler took my breath away. The rounded rear end with a subdued spoiler looked sexy as hell, and the RS6 designation was burned in my mind forever.

I coaxed my aging Passat up to 95mph in order to get a look at it more closely, instead of the glancing glimpse I had of it at first. When I arrived broadside of it, I realized that it was basically an A6/A8, but there were definite differences in the front and back end that I found to be impressive. The best thing I loved about this car was that it had the almost the same exact styling as the A6, but you could tell, very subtlely, that this car was for kicking ass. Maybe it was the chromed dual exhaust pipes blurting with a throaty roar as it accelerated from past me (no doubt because I was gaping at the car, and the driver was getting nervous). Or perhaps it was the way it floated, gripped, ran over the concrete, the road seemingly trying to run away, scared, from a car it was supposed to provide a suitable driving surface for.

I kid you not, when I saw that car I was in complete awe. My dreams of one day owning an A6 were quickly drowned with the perfection and elegance of possibly the best looking sports sedan I have ever seen in my life.

Those of you lucky to have this beautiful car, I salute and envy you. You guys and gals are the TRUE king of the road. I liken the RS6 to a phrase I often use to describe a rare characteristic trait with some of the people I meet:

Quiet Strength.

This car is unimposing, could almost be labeled as 'ordinary looking' if werent for the certain... facets that belied its real purpose: eating other cars for breakfast, leaving only tailpipe, muffler and steering wheel behind, the driver consumed in the ensuing eating frenzy.

I love this car.

I want one.

Thanks for reading my rambling, incoherent post. =)

iconcls
April 22nd, 2004, 21:09
With an opening post like that, one of our LA RS 6 comrades should certainly give you a ride.:0:

Bauer
April 22nd, 2004, 21:57
garetjax,

Welcome to the board and thanks for the great write up of your impressions on the RS6.....hell if you are ever in NorCal (Bay Area) let me know and we can go out for a drive:incar:

garetjax
April 22nd, 2004, 22:19
Originally posted by iconcls
With an opening post like that, one of our LA RS 6 comrades should certainly give you a ride.:0: ROFL! I hope you make good on that promise! I am originally from Hayward, although I have been based at Edwards AFB for the last 3 years. =)

NorCal is my backyard, and as such, still manage to take my Passat every once in awhile to visit the folks back home. =)

I do apologize for the lengthy post, but after seeing my first ever RS6 (and never knowing they existed) I feel giddy just reliving the experience of seeing one again. I think that is why I sought out this RS6 site to share my experience with. Theres no way I could have contained that kind of enthusiasm for this car... I wanted to share it with everyone!

gmbh6
April 23rd, 2004, 00:02
Originally posted by iconcls
With an opening post like that, one of our LA RS 6 comrades should certainly give you a ride.:0:
hell......if his wife has a cute sister i'll let him take it for a spin by himself. :vhmmm:

....hmmmm I don't think any women is that fine :hihi:

....although there was this green-eyed bulgarian beauty at a food show in Korea last week.........bada-bing-bada-boom! :thumb:

bilbozilla
April 23rd, 2004, 01:26
Nice write up, by the way. Welcome to the board.

nene
April 23rd, 2004, 04:05
Welcome to the board.
If I lived anywhere within 400 miles of you, I'd come by and let you drive the beast for at least 3 hours.
If you think the car is an unforgettable site, just wait until you get to ride or drive one.
Bring extra pair of undies.

Truthfully though, you are correct on all your statements.
I don't mean to be tooting my own horn as I own an RS6, but the car is just plain awesome. I'm sure M5 and E55 owners say the same about their cars, and in all truthfullness, they are correct as well.

We are all very lucky to own one of the best sport sedans made thus far.

garetjax
April 23rd, 2004, 16:05
Thanks for all the positive feedback thus far in this thread you guys!

Nene:

"I'm sure M5 and E55 owners say the same about their cars, and in all truthfullness, they are correct as well."

Yes, they are. However, when one goes to L.A. or any large city for that matter, one will always see M5's or E55's literally in gaggles. I mean seriously, they are everywhere, you dont have to wait long but for a few minutes before you see them zipping through traffic again. After awhile, you become immune to the beauty and the elegance of the car because you see them so often.

You can attribute this same phenomenon with vehicles such as the 'new' Mustangs, the Lexus RX-series SUV's and of course, the aforementioned BMW's and Benz's.

And that my friends, is the rub! That's the REAL beauty of the RS6 or any Audi for that matter. Not many people own or drive an RS6; hell, I read somewhere that Audi only shipped 650 RS6's to the United States last year alone. They, (Audis and RS6's) are rare gems in a sea of monotony and dullness, as evidenced by the increasing numbers one sees of people driving the same exact vehicle (such as M5's and E55's) as everyone else is.

I'm not saying that M5's and E55's are bad cars, far from it. I'm just saying variety is fun, and knowing that you drive something that not everyone else is driving is a treat indeed!

nene
April 23rd, 2004, 18:19
That is one of the main reasons I chose the RS6.
Living in Boston, I do see quite a few M5s and E55s. However, certainly not a whole lot of RS6s coming around!!!

Exclusive made me open my wallet nice and wide!

garetjax
April 23rd, 2004, 23:12
I started shopping around seeing what I could get a used RS6 for, maybe even trade in my paid off '98 Passat.

*cringe*

/sigh

You guys are freaking loaded. As long as I'm in the Air Force, there will be no RS6 for me. =(

Benman
April 25th, 2004, 00:31
Garet:cheers:

I'm always up for a drive. Feel free to send me a P.M. if you want to schedule a drive:hahahehe:
Ben:addict:

Wang
April 25th, 2004, 08:47
I have made comments on my recent posts regarding the RS6s exclusivity. This is why I own one. Exclusive chassis work to fit the big tranny, bulging wheel wells, Cosworth engine, the list goes on. An around a thousand units in the U.S. Even in a metro area like L.A. there are so few in the know about the RS6.
We need to congregate one of these Saturdays for a cruise through the Metro and then out to the PCH....

garetjax
April 26th, 2004, 16:34
Originally posted by Wang
We need to congregate one of these Saturdays for a cruise through the Metro and then out to the PCH.... Oh hell yes, PCH is a blast to drive! I took a trip to Monterey Bay a couple months back drving the PCH in my Passat (1.8L, turbo - I know it isnt much, but it was still fun!) and had a rip roaring good time! I try to avoid taking the trip on weekends as the 5th wheels tend to slow things down, but my god, the view and the smell of the ocean blowing in off the pacific as you race through a 30 mph turn at 60 mph is about the closest you can be to pure and unabated exhiliration and happiness. =)

Benman, thank you kindly for the offer, sir! I'll see what I can do. =)

jimmy94507
April 27th, 2004, 07:20
Ben and Garet,

I'm sure all of us will appreciate a full report on the "checkout" drive. I really hope you can get together and have that drive. These cars are really worth sharing with those who can't manage to own one. Especially one who appreciate the understated prowess of the car.

Enjoy!

Regards, Jim
P.S. Garet, let us know if you're headed up here to visit your parents. Perhaps a few of us RS 6 owners up here can host a meeting.

garetjax
April 27th, 2004, 14:51
Originally posted by jimmy94507
P.S. Garet, let us know if you're headed up here to visit your parents. Perhaps a few of us RS 6 owners up here can host a meeting. Good deal! I saw on the main site that a few people got together on the east coast in Massachusetts and had a really great time. Unless I am mistaken, there has yet to be a west coast meeting? I think that it would be nice if the second ever U.S. RS6 get together happened here, kinda allow those that were too far away for the first one to attend the second.

This might even spawn a 'tradition' of sorts, bringing the RS6 community that much closer together. Ya'll are some nice peeps, and I think that its a shame that the only way most of you guys who own RS6's can meet each other is on a forum instead of real life. Not saying that the forum isnt good enough, just pointing out that for enthusiasts, half the fun is being able meet new people who share the love of the best sports sedan ever created. =)

Benman
April 27th, 2004, 15:17
Originally posted by garetjax
Good deal! I saw on the main site that a few people got together on the east coast in Massachusetts and had a really great time. Unless I am mistaken, there has yet to be a west coast meeting?

This might even spawn a 'tradition' of sorts, bringing the RS6 community that much closer together.
I think Garet is on to something here. Maybe a West / East Coast tradition! And I would for sure be in for a Santa Barbara - Pismo Beach meet!:cheers:
Ben:addict:

nene
April 27th, 2004, 16:42
It might be more difficult to replicate the same on the West Coast. After all, Massachusetts is only like the size of Los Angeles metropolitan area.
I only have to take a 2 hour drive, and I can meet up with the folks in New York. Same (or less time) makes it true for Connecticut/Vermont/New Jersey peeps.

But given that Cali might have a lot of RS6s, you could replicate a gathering for folks within a 2-3 hour drive.

There was the Nor-Cal/So-Cal meet recently. That was the place to really shine.

I'm still upset I did not get to go on the NE Spring Meet, but I'll just keep kicking myself until another chance takes place.
But that won't be until either the Waterfest, or the NE Aftermarket Meet!!!

garetjax
April 28th, 2004, 18:52
Originally posted by nene
There was the Nor-Cal/So-Cal meet recently. That was the place to really shine.Are there plans to update the Articles section on the main site with the recent Nor-Cal meet? Maybe post some pictures that were taken there, and possibly a nice review written about the experience? The east coast meet (Massachusetts) was very well done and I think it would be a blast to see and read what went on at the Nor-Cal meet. =)

Erik
April 28th, 2004, 20:16
Originally posted by garetjax
Are there plans to update the Articles section on the main site with the recent Nor-Cal meet?

Sure. Just need to rework the whole main page... :rolleyes:

garetjax
May 6th, 2004, 18:06
Originally posted by Erik
Sure. Just need to rework the whole main page... :rolleyes:
I take that to mean it won't happen then? =(