PDA

View Full Version : Should I spring for Clear Bra treatment?

JA
April 20th, 2004, 20:52
I am considering having Clear Bra applied to the front of my RS6. It would run apprx $770 for what the shop calls "full frontal" treatment. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the money? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. TIA.

:addict:

Benman
April 20th, 2004, 21:07
Originally posted by JA
I am considering having Clear Bra applied to the front of my RS6. It would run apprx $770 for what the shop calls "full frontal" treatment. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the money? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. TIA.

:addict:
I had it installed on my Beast and think it to be well worth it. Won't stop an accident but rock chips can't touch it. After 3 or 4 years you will need to think about replacing it as they tend to get yellow.

nene
April 20th, 2004, 21:54
Living in MA, I had chosen not to put it on the S4. After the almost 4 years I owned it, i regreted it.

On the RS6, I did full frontal and rear. Most definitely no regrets once-however!!!

You can't even tell on the pix as seen below:

http://www.coe.neu.edu/~nelson/rs6roolz/stinkiedetailing3.jpg

http://www.coe.neu.edu/~nelson/rs6roolz/stinkiedetailing1.jpg

JA
April 20th, 2004, 23:46
Thanks for your replies, guys. It seems like a lot of money, but if I no longer have to wince when I hear pebbles being kicked up from the road, it's probably money well spent.

Nene -- your beast looks great. Is that Daytona Grey with the lighter interior?

Johfra
April 20th, 2004, 23:52
If it will prevent the small stones from chipping the heck out of the front bumper, then it is well worth the money. I wish I had known about it when I got my RS6. I picked it up in Nov2003, now have about 8100miles on it and the front bumper is chipped badly. Thank god I didn't get black (Avus Silver).

Most of mine happened in one day traveling on the NJ Turnpike when I came up on a series of dump trucks. They hit one bump and it was all over. Like a shotgun all over the front bumper. I got around them as fast as I could, but the damage was done. And believe me, you notice everything that happens to your RS6.

Just Do It!

john hulbrock
April 21st, 2004, 02:01
I had the clear protection done front and rear- cost me almost 900 dollars- One work of caution- it is a bit tricky doing the RS6 front down near
the air dam and fog lights- the installer had to do it 3 times to get
it and it still has some wrinkles in it- Be sure to check out the installer
and see some of his jobs. if you e mail me I can steer you away from
some bad installers.
johnhulbrock@hotmail.com

nene
April 21st, 2004, 14:08
JA,
You're all the way in NYC, so I don't think you would want to come all the way to Boston, Billerica actually, to have Tint King do your front. However, they do an amazing job.

My car is the Daytone Gray with the light interior.
It probably looks so good because I had one of the Audi enthusiasts in the Boston area do a full detail on the car. He washed it, buffed it, and waxed it. He also did the interior.

I usually do this stuff myself, but this guy is really good, and does it much better.

JP4
April 21st, 2004, 14:15
Yes...Yes...Yes...

I had an A6 4.2 and only applied the protection to the headlights and fog lights. 3.5 years and 54k miles later I was really regretting not installing the full package. All exposed frontal painted areas were chipped-up pretty good. Headlight and fog lenses were perfect.

When I got the RS6 I immediately had the full front bra installed. Total cost installed was ~$500. Well worth it IMHO.

FYI...the headlights and fogs are pretty easy to do if you use proper technique BUT the clear bra is NOT, I repeat IS NOT a DIY project for the average or even slightly above average person. It's takes lots of time and lots of patience and expertise to do properly.

DO IT, DO IT....IMO! :thumb:

Aronis
April 21st, 2004, 16:39
Must also cover the fender behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheels.

That is my major wear problem. They car comes with a small patch of such a covering alhtough I think it's body colored, but this does not protect the entire area.

Since such applications exist, I don't undertand way they dealers don't put it on for you or offer it as an option, I would have gotten it in a heart beat even for $1000.00 since from what I have been reading there is no downside of such a clear protective covering....

nene
April 21st, 2004, 18:34
My dealer offered the clear bra package when I purchased my car.
Because our cars were so new, and quite difficult to install the package, it's possible that most dealers did not want to offer this because they could not find a good installer.

Got mine done before I picked her up for the first time.

Aronis
April 21st, 2004, 18:42
how much?

nene
April 21st, 2004, 18:48
Front and rear cost me about $800 installed.

Aronis
April 21st, 2004, 19:10
Originally posted by nene
JA,
You're all the way in NYC, so I don't think you would want to come all the way to Boston, Billerica actually, to have Tint King do your front.

Hey, please stop reminding me of what I am missing in BOSTON....

I am from Boston, banashed to the north end of hell.....The North Country......

LOL

I know Billerica well LOL....

:cry:

Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere
The Hilltop in Saugus
The Kaloon in Saugus
etc

jimmy94507
April 22nd, 2004, 17:06
Here is a thread from last summer. Since then I have learned there are other suppliers of kits but they don't necessarily have many trained installers. So, they recommend you got to the XPel site, enter your ZIP code and look for an installer in your area.

/www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1806

I am very plesed with the XPel kit and other custom applications I had done on my car last August! (I made the mistake of not having it installed on my 2000 A6 4.2 and made sure I treated the RS 6 with the protection!) Worth the money, IMHO!

Regards, Jim

JAXRS6
April 24th, 2004, 03:41
JA, you also might want to check another thread here titled "Fender paint wear." In it I describe a 3M product that has served me well @18,800 miles, plus I gave info in my last post there on how to reach US & European sources for a company that makes a pattern for the RS6 & has a four year guarantee..

If I recall correctly I researched Clear Bra last August, when my car was new, and their response was that they could do an installation in SE Michigan (my northern home) only if I got three or four others involved, to make a trip by them worthwhile. Not sure about their situation for NYC at this time.

I don't know if what I got is better than Clear Bra, but I do know I'm happy with it -- and glad I got it done when my RS6 was new. I also have a black 2000 S4 without the protection, and now it looks like it has zits.:doh:

Whatever else you do, stay well behind gravel trucks. You can usually spot them because they have vertical structural components for strength & either canvas or nothing on top. One of those little rocks can do damage even to a car that's protected, if it happens to bounce onto your hood, roof or trunk. :cry: