PDA

View Full Version : New RS6 model details

tailpipe
April 15th, 2004, 13:41
According to the UK magazine Autocar - a reasonably reliable source of new model information - the next Audi RS6 model based on the new A6 platform will not have the V-10 engine from the Gallardo. Apparently, the packaging cannot be optimised for the new chassis. Therefore, it will utilise a turbocharged version of the new V-8 4.2 litre fsi engine. I find this disappointing, not only because I prefer the instaneous throttle response you get from a naturally aspirated engine, but also the forthcoming BMW M5 will have a V-10 good for 500 bhp. I find it to believe that the V-10 won't work in the new A6, especially as there have been rumours on this website of a V-10 in the S4 platform.

I wonder whether Audi is saving the V-10 for the S8?

absent
April 15th, 2004, 14:21
Non turbo V10 would be unacceptable for S8 because of lack of sufficient torque.(at least for me)

djinn
April 25th, 2004, 09:47
Don't worry guys. Rs6 will have manuel transmission option

gnomik007
April 25th, 2004, 16:19
I would prefer seven speed DSG tranny with paddles behind the wheel. And if Audi will make next RS6 a bit more percise, so you'd be able not just to cruise on high speeds, but to change lanes on such speeds with according percision, I know what my next vehicle will be. The only alternative to it in my case would be new BMW M6.

Erik
April 25th, 2004, 17:51
Originally posted by djinn
Don't worry guys. Rs6 will have manuel transmission option

djinn, unless you have very good sources I suggest you don't write things you wish as things 100% sure. OK?

djinn
April 26th, 2004, 17:08
Audi would probably have to use the Manual Transmission used on Gallardo or Murcielago.

From the "manuel rs6" thread.

Even if I say anything from my mind (I never) firstly I think than say it. Audi would probably have no chance against the new m5 just with automatic transmission. It should and for sure will have automatic transmission. Ok?

Bauer
April 30th, 2004, 23:57
My feeling on all of this is that it is somke and mirrors. Audi wants to keep EVERYONE guessing and if they want people guessing they want them to do it on the disapointing side. Why tell your competition we are going to come out with a twin turbo V10 with 600hp 3 to 4 years before it happens??? this would give the competition time to make changes to compete. It is much more likely that Audi says stuff like "we can't fit it in the car, therfore we won't do it" Then the competition has no idea if it is true or not. My guess is the RS4 will be a 3.2(or so) TT, RS6 will NOT be a 4.2 fsi TT with 500hp. Why bother....hell a chipped RS6 will yeild 500hp to 520hp....why would people spend another 90k for 50hp when you can get it for $2600.00? Sure, Sure there will be other advances but trust me Hp/Tq matters even if it is only a marketing tool. Just my 2cents:D :D

absent
May 1st, 2004, 21:20
I hope you're right.....

Benman
May 3rd, 2004, 02:04
Originally posted by absent
I hope you're right.....
Bauer's logic is sound. Why would Audi give us just a10% increase in output when the boys down in Munich went from a 397hp V8 to a 500hp V10? We will all find out as the time gets closer.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Audihead
May 3rd, 2004, 18:32
Hooray for the horsepower wars! It is fun to speculate about upcomming models.:wo:

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

tailpipe
May 4th, 2004, 11:55
Originally posted by Bauer
My feeling on all of this is that it is somke and mirrors. Audi wants to keep EVERYONE guessing and if they want people guessing they want them to do it on the disapointing side. Why tell your competition we are going to come out with a twin turbo V10 with 600hp 3 to 4 years before it happens??? this would give the competition time to make changes to compete. It is much more likely that Audi says stuff like "we can't fit it in the car, therfore we won't do it" Then the competition has no idea if it is true or not. My guess is the RS4 will be a 3.2(or so) TT, RS6 will NOT be a 4.2 fsi TT with 500hp. Why bother....hell a chipped RS6 will yeild 500hp to 520hp....why would people spend another 90k for 50hp when you can get it for $2600.00? Sure, Sure there will be other advances but trust me Hp/Tq matters even if it is only a marketing tool. Just my 2cents:D :D

I think this is a very interesting and intelligent post. Thank you. On reflection, I am sure you must be right. But now that it is certain that the new BMW M5 will have a V-10, I am convinced that the next RS6 will have one too. I suspect that it may even be the rumoured FSI version, with 550 bhp. (The S8 will apparently have the W12.) Which leaves the V-8 for the RS4 . After fitting a V-8 to the S4, I think it unlikely that Audi would downgrade it to V-6, even if it were a turbo-charged version of the excellent new 3.2 FSI engine.

We can probably assume with a reasonable degree of certainty that the RS4 will therefore have a V8 4.2 engine. The question is whether it will be the naturally aspirated new 4.2 FSI or a turbocharged version of current engine. My money is on the new 4.2 FSI, because in addition to endowing the car with a lot more grunt, FSIs swallow much less petrol. The S4's big downside IMHO is its consumption. While the new 4.2 FSI is smaller than the current 4.2 engine, there may not be enough room to fit a turbo in the engine bay of the A4 chassis. But who knows.

In my book and given Audi's track record, both the V-10 FSI and V-8 FSI will be superb engines. Both the RS6 and the RS4 look like being fantastic cars. We should definitely be excited! Going back to the new M5, I think this will really raise the stakes in this category. But it isn't just a horsepower race. I think the challenge with both Audi models is to improve the ride and handling. In engineering terms, my biggest request is to move the engine as far back as you can get it.

The revised A4 according to last week's article in Auto Motor und Sport, is shaping up to be a great car. In addition to engineering tweaks that will make what is an already good vehicle even better, the revised styling looks great IMHO.

All will be revealed at the Paris autoshow this Fall, although we won't see the new RS 4 until Geneva next Spring.