PDA

View Full Version : Well that was quick!!!

Bauer
April 15th, 2004, 01:27
Turbos being replaced @15k miles:doh: . They are making noise at around 3k rpms under power..sounded like a input bearing in the diff/s or trans but turned out to be the turbos (both). The car is not modded at all. I am very suprised at this as I have had several Turbo Audis and some modded without ever having any problems. Some with as many as 150k miles. I am woundering if this was a result of my over-boost probelm which they think they have fixed. I will be picking the car up tomorrow minus 2 new turbos (they are on order). The tech replaced a valve (I will get all of the details for you) that he thinks was causing the over-boost problem.

There was no loss of power just the noise and the very occasional over-boost problem that would put the car into limp mode. Again I am VERY suprised at this, especially with only 15k in miles. I am going to talk at length with the tech about it tomorrow.

On a side note AoA and my dealer / tech have been fantastic. The response and turn times make me have faith in AoA and the people I am dealing with. Very professional I am delighted to report.:thumb:

jimmy94507
April 15th, 2004, 01:32
Ben,

When you get the lowdown from Ray, give me a call. I'd like to hear what he had to say about the overboost problem and the loss of turbos.

Regrads, Jim

nyrs6
April 15th, 2004, 01:38
Originally posted by Bauer
Turbos being replaced @15k miles:doh: . They are making noise at around 3k rpms under power..sounded like a input bearing in the diff/s or trans but turned out to be the turbos (both). The car is not modded at all. I am very suprised at this as I have had several Turbo Audis and some modded without ever having any problems. Some with as many as 150k miles. I am woundering if this was a result of my over-boost probelm which they think they have fixed. I will be picking the car up tomorrow minus 2 new turbos (they are on order). The tech replaced a valve (I will get all of the details for you) that he thinks was causing the over-boost problem.

There was no loss of power just the noise and the very occasional over-boost problem that would put the car into limp mode. Again I am VERY suprised at this, especially with only 15k in miles. I am going to talk at length with the tech about it tomorrow.

On a side note AoA and my dealer / tech have been fantastic. The response and turn times make me have faith in AoA and the people I am dealing with. Very professional I am delighted to report.:thumb:

did they ask you if you modded youre car (chipped)

Bauer
April 15th, 2004, 01:42
did they ask you if you modded youre car (chipped)

When the car went in for the original over-boost problem.

jgun81
April 15th, 2004, 05:03
I am sorry to hear that.
It's gotta hurt after over boost problem
but good thing is it's getting fixed :thumb:

Bauer
April 16th, 2004, 00:40
Tech replaced SOP valve which as I understand it controls when the bypass valve opens to release extra boost. Tech ordered both turbos as one was noisy. They will have to pull the motor to do the turbo replacement. Also will have to see if the over-boost problem is fixed by the SOP valve replacement.

Nordschleife
April 16th, 2004, 15:01
Based on my own experience, a load of possibly crap gas caused the exhaust manifolds to melt which made the turbos ingest bits of metal which resulted in turbo failure. All covered under warranty despite being chipped.
Incidentally, I don't entirely buy the crap gas reason, I would have noticed.
Whern they but the car back together, they 'claimed' the gearbox was 'stuffed', so they put in a new one of those as well. Funny that, i wonder who else needed a box.

R+C

gjg
April 16th, 2004, 16:09
the gearbox was 'stuffed'

what does that mean???

Nordschleife
April 16th, 2004, 16:24
George
I was told "the internals were totally destroyed". Struck me as odd as there we4re no problems when it went in. At this point I made an executive decision to get out of RS6s.

The repair took place at a skunk works close to Ingolstadt, under warranty.

R+C

gjg
April 16th, 2004, 16:27
that is strange ...... you drive with totaly destroyed gearbox and it is only noticed during sevice .....

Oh well, I'm missing floor bolts on rear seabelts, for a change ....

Bauer
April 16th, 2004, 18:03
Maybe the manifold is what caused the problem seeing as all of our gas is crap gas (91). I will have to ask the tech once he gets the thing apart. At this point there does not seem to be any power loss just some noise. Thanks for the input, oh and the autobox story seems a little odd:vhmmm: ...maybe the dealer was just tryign to hit Audi up for some warranty work...who knows.

Bauer
April 16th, 2004, 18:14
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a Audi mechanic (not dealer)...he said that there is an internal wastgate in the turbo which if not working properly could cause the over-boost problem. Also the turbos are always replaced as a pair so even though the other could and most likely is fine they still need to replace it. The Audi tech (dealer) said he was hearing a spring noise in one of the turbos so sounds like the internal wastegate is most likely the problem for the over-boost. Will have to wait and see.:mech:

Benman
April 16th, 2004, 21:14
Sorry to hear the problems mate. Definately a shame that your motor needs to be pulled at only 15K. Keep us posted.:cheers:
Ben:addict: