PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS6 Avant chasing a Porsche 996 C4 on Nürburgring

Erik
April 14th, 2004, 10:11
A Porsche Carrera 4 being chased by an Audi RS6 Avant on Nürburgring.

Down Fuchsröhre. Can you imagine how irritating it is for a Porsche driver to see the Beast in the rear view all the time?

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/NS2004/Chasing-C4-1.jpg

Through Adenauer Forst - still in his rear view.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/NS2004/Chasing-C4-2.jpg

Bye bye! :bye:

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/NS2004/Chasing-C4-3.jpg

Very bye bye! :bye2:

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/NS2004/Chasing-C4-4.jpg

A view from the parking lot, before the crowd arrived.

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/NS2004/Chasing-C4-5.jpg

After the lap the driver approached us.

P-car driver: "This car is tuned, isn't it?" :confused:
RS-driver: "No it is stock apart from r-tires."
PRICELESS!

:rs6kiss:

Som more info.

According to sport auto the RS6 is 3 secs faster than the 996 C4 in a full lap (which we don't drive).

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=35

Another disturbing fact for the Porsche: :)
Fuchsroehre 232 Km/h (RS6) 207 Km/h (C4)

Benman
April 14th, 2004, 15:07
Very nice:D I'm sure he wanted that "wagon" out of his rear view!

Ben:addict: :addict:

TaTaPiRaTa
April 14th, 2004, 19:59
I can see you drove minimum 3 persons, do you know if the P guy was alone or not?

Erik
April 14th, 2004, 20:02
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
I can see you drove minimum 3 persons, do you know if the P guy was alone or not?

We were 4 in the RS6.

The P-car had 2 people in it.

jgun81
April 16th, 2004, 03:15
Damn, damn...I wish I could be there with you

urquattro83
April 17th, 2004, 09:31
:hahahehe: :hahahehe:

Had the porsche-drive never meet a RS6 before?

It's very funny 4 persons in a avant going faster than de 2 persons in a Porsche911. What would that boy thought on the moment?

Erik
April 22nd, 2004, 13:27
I got a lap in his 996 C4 (GT3 wing) on a swedish track last Friday.
It's a nice car. Not just as fast in a straight line... :)

TaTaPiRaTa
April 22nd, 2004, 13:57
very nice stuff, but where is the VIDEO :w:

Erik
April 22nd, 2004, 13:59
Originally posted by TaTaPiRaTa
very nice stuff, but where is the VIDEO :w:

I came back from Germany less than 1 hour ago...

It will be ready when it's ready.

April 22nd, 2004, 17:51
Originally posted by Erik
Very bye bye! :bye2:

Very :dance:

iconcls
April 22nd, 2004, 20:34
And a wagon no less!

Good stuff.

Erik
April 26th, 2004, 20:40
Oooppss!!!

The C4 is 4 sale. I guess he's in the market for an RS6. :applause: :lovl: :rotflmao:

http://www.porsche.nu/photoads/cgi-bin/view.cgi?action=photo&AdNum=7994

jgun81
April 28th, 2004, 04:53
lol
Selling his P-car after get beaten by a wagon?
lol

Erik
December 15th, 2004, 08:42
Ahhh :p

Some memories from the Spring of 2004 :D

Definetly not :boring:

marks6
December 15th, 2004, 12:26
Heresy I realise, but I can't help thinking that the P will feel better than the Audi around the RING. The RS6 is a great car, but it is very heavy and is more an autobahn cruiser (very high speed) than a nurburgring slayer!! I watched the video of the stock RS6 (excepting the tyres) slaying porsches, superbikes etc and can only comment that the drivers of those had more to do with the outcome than the cars/bikes themselves. In equal hands the RS6 would not be able to compete with a GT3, GT2 or virtually any high powered bike around the RING... I am prepared to be proved wrong but don't think it possible. In fact, a £27000 Impreza Spec C would leave an RS6 behind around the RING and so it should with an equal power to weight ratio and significantly less mass.

Sims
December 15th, 2004, 13:09
Originally posted by marks6
Heresy The RS6 is a great car, but it is very heavy and is more an autobahn cruiser (very high speed) than a nurburgring slayer!!

In fact, the 'Ring is quite damaging to the RS6 - brakes, tyres more so than say a GT3, M3 CSL

quattro
December 15th, 2004, 13:30
Of course many P-cars are faster than the RS6, but if you look at sport auto times the RS6 did 8.22 - not bad for what it is!
And many Porsches will do 8.00 - 8.25 times (same driver as the RS6), with the RS6 beinge less difficult to drive many people will get theirselves a BIG surprised and their prejudice is clearly shown in the parking lot.

The BIGGEST difference is that you can't do several low-time laps after each other in the RS6, but you can in a Porsche.

Driving fast, close to the limit and your pads will be gone in 20-30 laps.
Same for the M5 and any other similar car.

Similes says it all:

* :incar: :brag: P-car owner on car park before experiencing the RS6 competition. :argue: Your RS6 = :boring: + slow

* :vhmmm: same P-car owner after being overtaken, good driver too. With 150+ laps in the luggage.

Later, same P-car driver said I have to go :mech: on my car to improve it :D

quattro
December 15th, 2004, 13:31
Some data:

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=35

Round Time Nuerburgring 8.20 min 8.23 min
Round Time Hockenheim 1.17,6 min 1.16,6 min

But good for one lap only, the RS6 brakes will happily overheat.

marks6
December 15th, 2004, 15:57
Quattro, I think we agree. There is no doubting the RS6 is quick, relatively easy to drive etc, but its weight will tell at the Ring. Interestingly a Spec C will lap the ring in absolute standard form in sub 8 minutes... however like most road cars the brakes won't last very long! I doubt Audi will do it for the next RS6 but one of the best things they could upgrade (apart from the brakes) would be the gearchange. A manual gearbox would in my view make it much more of a drivers car and offer greater control when pressing on. :dance:

tailpipe
December 15th, 2004, 16:09
The brilliant thing about any RS car isn't its sheer performance, which by any objective standard is mind-blowing, but that it excels when driven by ordinary drivers in extraordinary conditions.

Yes. I am sure with two equal drivers on the Ring in dry conditions. the Porsche would probably slightly faster than the Audi RS6. But in adverse weather conditions, the driver in the Porsche would struggle whereas the Audi driver would just keep on going.

BTW. I hear the new RS4 has lapped the Ring in UNDER eight minutes. Anyone know if this is true?

Nordschleife
December 15th, 2004, 16:29
Why would the Porsche struggle under adverse conditions?

R+C

Sims
December 15th, 2004, 16:53
Originally posted by tailpipe
But in adverse weather conditions, the driver in the Porsche would struggle whereas the Audi driver would just keep on going.

BTW. I hear the new RS4 has lapped the Ring in UNDER eight minutes. Anyone know if this is true?

The Porsche is 4WD and has the same if not better driving dynamics and gizmos.

The RS4 needs to be a real driver's car like an M3 CSL, GT3. And provided it does not understeer, I shall buy it.

Nordschleife
December 15th, 2004, 17:08
Originally posted by PP
And provided it does not understeer, I shall buy it.

SOP for Audi is to take the understeer out of the driver! Do you want to be booked in for the operation with Sepp this winter?

R+C

Sims
December 15th, 2004, 17:18
Originally posted by Nordschleife
SOP for Audi is to take the understeer out of the driver! Do you want to be booked in for the operation with Sepp this winter?

R+C

You know what - I shall practice like hell to try to remove my understeer by practicing on the king of understeerers - the Smart Coupe. Then I can consider other operations. Who is Sepp?

Benman
December 15th, 2004, 17:41
one of the best things they could upgrade (apart from the brakes) would be the gearchange. A manual gearbox would in my view make it much more of a drivers car and offer greater control when pressing on. :dance:
True, but I think we all realize this is next to impossible. Now that the new M5 no longer offers a manual, the rest of the manufactures will use this as an excuse (instead of an opportunity) to only have "autos" (manumatics) in their Hi Po cars. The upcoming RS 4 will be the last RS model IMHO to have the manual option (if it indeed even does).
Ben:addict:

Nordschleife
December 15th, 2004, 18:08
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PP
You know what - I shall practice like hell to try to remove my understeer by practicing on the king of understeerers - the Smart Coupe. Then I can consider other operations. Who is Sepp? [/QUOTE

Sepp Haider, former European rally champion, development driver and instructor to the great and the good (including Schoomie).

Very very competent.
R+C

Sims
December 15th, 2004, 18:36
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Do you want to be booked in for the operation with Sepp this winter?

R+C

I shall send you a PM. thanks

7:53 RS6
December 15th, 2004, 20:17
Originally posted by quattro

Driving fast, close to the limit and your pads will be gone in 20-30 laps.
Same for the M5 and any other similar car.

:D

Acctually stock pads wont last moore than say six laps whit r-tiers. They will burn if you do 8:30 laps or better. Sure if you go 10min laps they would last a life time :D
Sure its depending some on how your driving style is and many peopel sitting in car, and coling time in pit or not.

Put black pagids and its fine. Accualy whit stock pads and street tiers I dont think you can make 20-30 laps if going 8:00-8:30min laps
If I remember corret when living at Sabines house last summer we talked about this and her Ring taxi E39 made it 20-30 laps but whit harder Pagid on.

About understeer the most common I guess is abuse understeear and its for sure not the cars fault :) Wouldent you agree on that quattro.

gord
December 15th, 2004, 20:40
Great photos and thread. But the C4S is in its own way by Porsche standards a 'fat' car... what i want to know is how the mean looking rubystone red 964RS parked next to you in the photo fared....now that's a car in which to have REAL fun on the Nurburgring!
Nice one though, guys!
GM

December 15th, 2004, 20:56
Originally posted by gord
Great photos and thread. But the C4S is in its own way by Porsche standards a 'fat' car... what i want to know is how the mean looking rubystone red 964RS parked next to you in the photo fared....now that's a car in which to have REAL fun on the Nurburgring!
Nice one though, guys!
GM

This is also a friend of mine. A big ring fan, he is allways down laping the green hell whit his RS. He have plenty of laps done A tru gentelmen and I sitt in whit him often. And he is fast around, but not keeping up whit me and my stock RS6 Avant ;) :brag:

JAXRS6
December 15th, 2004, 20:58
Originally posted by quattro
Some data:

The "Detailed" tab at this link shows air temp to be much warmer (September) for the RS6, as compared to the colder (February) test date for the Porsche. What are 12 and 38 degrees celcius, anyway, when converted to F?

And if the test dates had been reversed for these cars, I wonder how much better the RS6 might have done....:incar:

gjg
December 15th, 2004, 21:04
What are 12 and 38 degrees celcius, anyway, when converted to F?

12 C is about 54 F
38 C is about 100 F

December 15th, 2004, 21:07
Originally posted by JAXRS6
The "Detailed" tab at this link shows air temp to be much warmer (September) for the RS6, as compared to the colder (February) test date for the Porsche. What are 12 and 38 degrees celcius, anyway, when converted to F?

And if the test dates had been reversed for these cars, I wonder how much better the RS6 might have done....:incar:

Cant aswer that one.

As the sedan RS6 is 3 sec faster than the Pc4. I wounder how the Avant would turn out if tested? As sedan RS6 is 1908kg the Avant is, as my registrations paper say 2050kg.
One thing is sure the extra pork wont make it faster :D

December 15th, 2004, 21:43
Heresy I realise, but I can't help thinking that the P will feel better than the Audi around the RING. The RS6 is a great car, but it is very heavy and is more an autobahn cruiser (very high speed) than a nurburgring slayer!! I watched the video of the stock RS6 (excepting the tyres) slaying porsches, superbikes etc and can only comment that the drivers of those had more to do with the outcome than the cars/bikes themselves. In equal hands the RS6 would not be able to compete with a GT3, GT2 or virtually any high powered bike around the RING... I am prepared to be proved wrong but don't think it possible. In fact, a £27000 Impreza Spec C would leave an RS6 behind around the RING and so it should with an equal power to weight ratio and significantly less mass.

Of course you are right marks6, when I driving by this cars and bikes it do not mean anything more than I rather not wait behind them a lap to get round(the cam was just in rec a long time). Its of course mostley driving abilety that matters and not the car you drive.
And im confident I would drive by and pass my self in a lap here if I did drive a GT3 or CSL and my RS6 at the same time if you know what I mean.

As far as RS cars beeing easy to drive, I think its not like Porsches of today and CSL are any diffrent. On the opposit they can feel more secure and easy to drive and manover fast around a track. They are made to go fast around a track and RS6 is not.

And that says it all, its more scary to drive a car fast around a track when its not build to do so.
Just my 2cents:)

JAXRS6
December 15th, 2004, 23:23
Originally posted by gjg
12 C is about 54 F
38 C is about 100 F

These temp differences make such a HUGE difference, at least on my car. It weakens considerably once temps reach the 90s F, while in the mid-50s it is close to maximum performance. I experience both conditions frequently each year so there is no doubt in my mind about this. The only question is how to quantify it.

My own guess would be that if I am putting out 450 hp at 54 degrees F, the output at 100 F would be in the mid-300s -- around 100 hp less. That's about how it feels, at least. The difference is definitely dramatic.:eye:No doubt about it!

incognito
December 16th, 2004, 04:20
Temperatures are barely passing 30 degrees farenheit where I live. My beast is performing without hesitation. Hope summer takes a little longer to come by this year