PDA

View Full Version : Hemi: sometimes old is good

JAXRS6
April 13th, 2004, 04:19
Someone on this forum recently observed that hemi engine technology is old -- 1950s stuff. I tried a search but nothing came up for hemi this year, and I know the reference was recent.

Anyhow, tonight's episode of "Mail Call" on the History Channel involved a question about the fastest vehicle used by the US Army. In the answer, there was reference to tanks etc., but since the question didn't specify a vehicle used in combat, the correct answer was a US Army dragster that holds the National Hot Rod Assn (NHRA) record -- zero to 330+ mph in less than four seconds! Apparently it is used as a recruiting tool, which made me feel a little uneasy -- but that's another story.

Its engine, according to an Army guy who works on it, is a 7000 hp hemi. Which just goes to show that sometimes, old isn't so bad!

Aspirin comes to mind as another example: It's been around for a very long time, and if I ever have heart attack or stroke symptoms, chewing on one could save my life.:D

Not so with any of the newer drugs, as far as I know.

DoctorV8
April 23rd, 2004, 21:59
Your point is well taken.

Please see my post on this subject:

http://www2.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3684&perpage=17&pagenumber=2

though the term "hemi" in Chrysler's new cars is more arketing hype than anything else, as the combustion chambers are not truly hemispherical.