PDA

View Full Version : Help... some advice would really help!

nomis
April 12th, 2004, 18:29
Hello!

This is my first post on here and I'd like some advice. I tried posting a similar question on RS246.com and the response really surprised me - a very bland replies to my question about whether people were happy with their RS6's and could they offer any advice... :vhmmm:

I'm hoping I'll gain a little more knowledge and info from this site.

I presently own an E46 M3 coupe (6-months old) and due to a change in my job, the M3 is going to be replaced with a company car, something a little larger - with 4-doors and suitable for long-drive comfort. After owning 2 RWD cars in a row, I'd like to go back to 4WD as I'm sick of the over-nannying of traction control when the wheels start to spin on 2WD cars.

Having owned an X5 in the past, I am considering the new 4.8is as my last X5 was a pleasure to own. However, I am also tempted by the RS6 (especially the fabled RS6+ if Audi actually deliver on the hype - RS6+ link (http://www.autocar.co.uk/news_article.asp?na_id=207469) . I did also consider the new A8 W12 SWB but after driving the new 4.2 extensively, decided while a brilliant car, the A8 is one better suited to someone a little more mature :hahahehe:

I sometimes feel like I'm 60 but most days enjoy being in my mid 30's and would like a car to help me retain that feeling.

So, back to the RS6 - any horror stories? Any aspects of ownership I should consider, or worry about?

I should mention the car will be bought by the company and fully expensed by the company - except for personal use petrol. So the fact they eat tires and aren't cheap to maintain isn't of concern (well not to be but perhaps to our accountant :D )

Does anyone know anything more about the RS6+ ?

All advice and thoughts welcome!

Thanks in advance

Simon

Bauer
April 12th, 2004, 18:58
Simon-

Welcome the the board and I hope you get better responses then you have had in the past.

Here is my 2 cents.

I love almost all aspects of the RS6 with the exception of the following.

1. US spec seats suck and are uncomfortable on long trips. But you will not have to worry about this since the UK / European RS6's come with Recaros which are a huge improvement.

2. I have had very few real problems (15k miles) except breaks wearing quickly (due to track use). An over boost issue which I think my dealer has tracked down and the car is going in tomorrow for the fix (they had to order a part). On-star keeps going out (dont think you have this in the UK). Squeaky front drivers seat...again you don't have to worry about this.

Things I love about the car would take way too long but here is a short list.

1. Confidence inspiring traction and handeling in any type of weather. It is amazing how well the quattro system puts down 450hp. I can't tell you how many times I have looked down at the speedo and been shocked that I was going 100 mph without any effort. The DRC on the road works great to keep body roll in check but on the track it takes a little getting used to.

2. The car is very stealth here in the states, which is nice to keep the long arm of the law not looking for you. Plus, it is always fun to play with sports cars who end up in most cases getting their egos a little damaged.

3. The sound of the sport exhaust (this one deserves its own line)

3. Room for 4 and has folding rear seats to increase cargo area.

To me it is the best all around package for every day use. I hope this helps and good luck.

Erik
April 12th, 2004, 19:24
Simon, welcome to RS6.com!

The A8 W12 is probably the best Audi available. And it's fast, around 17 secs to 200 km/h.
But it is a big car and it doesn't handle as well as the RS6.
I have driven the A8 4.2 on an airfield and it feels like a big comfortable boat. But then, do you need it to perform like a track car or do you enjoy beeing comfortable more?

I think the RS6 is an excellent mixture between luxury, comfort and performance. It is also stealhty. Both the RS6 and the A8 W12 would be as fast as your M3.

If I had any more on the RS6+ I'd post it. But there is no official info available. I suggest you try your dealer since they seem to know more.

grizzly
April 12th, 2004, 22:21
Hi,
because of RS6+: look @ the german Audi Konfigurator and Website.
RS6+ will come 350 pieces strictly limited. only as Avant.
only delivered in Germany.

JAXRS6
April 12th, 2004, 22:56
nomis, I concur with everything said above @ 18,300 miles. You're a lucky guy on several counts: You don't have to put up with the sub-par seats we got here in the US; and if you won't be tracking the car (seems doubtful if company owns it), you won't have to worry about the brakes either. The brakes work great when the RS6 is used as a daily driver, business or touring car; their weakness becomes apparent only at the track or during other extended aggressive driving. That's where repeated turns, the car's weight and the forward bias of that weight create heat and wear problems for pads and rotors.

But your biggest stroke of luck leads me to this question: Does your new employer have any job openings?

Just kidding, but I'm sure I'm not the only one envious of any firm that would provide an RS6 as the company car!:hihi: :rs6kiss:

nomis
April 12th, 2004, 23:18
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice thus far!

As for the RS6+ being a GmbH only edition - that seems contrary to what UK press and dealers have said. But you may be right grizzly and I'll find out tomorrow as I have a call in to my local Audi dealer. Fingers crossed because an extra 30bhp for very little money would be nice.

JAX, as for the company - thankfully I'm a director, so get to make my own choice on car. Sometimes the agro you get from managing staff is worthwhile :doh: :D

All joking aside, I never try to forget that I'm lucky to be in this situation. I opted out of the company car plan because the UK tax man was making it harder and harder to justify + I was doing less driving.

Now that I'll be doing a lot more driving, it's worth it to go with the company car again.

Benman
April 13th, 2004, 04:54
nomis:cheers:

Welocome to the forum. As Bauer already stated the only real complaints are things you won't have to worry about in the UK. And if I may add, get the avant. It always makes us out inthe States JELOUS!
Ben:addict:

nomis
April 13th, 2004, 10:34
Cheers Ben :cheers:

Well, I've just spoken with Audi UK and they are bringing 35 RHD UK spec RS6+ Avants into the country. They are no longer making the sedan as the production line has been shifted over to the new A6; however, as the A6 Avant won't be out until 2005 (ish), Audi will continue to make the RS6 Avant until approx. week 33.

So, in essence, that really puts the :snow: on the RS6 sedan idea... As we already have an Audi avant - my wife has the A4 2.8 Quattro Sport - I'm not sure I really want another... especially as I have no real need for it (don't have a dog, don't go hunting, and don't do garage sales :D )

Hmmn... one to think about really.

Audi GB has added the W12 SWB to the order system this week and my dealer has said he could get the options I wanted done by Quattro GmbH (Avus exterior, black sport seats trimed with silver and black piano wood trim...). I'm getting a little tempted again as I'm really sick of the bad service and poor quality I've had from BMW dealers and products in the past 2 years. So despite being very fond of the X5, I'd love to take my business else where this time.

What to do?!? :confused:

Erik
April 13th, 2004, 10:49
Originally posted by nomis

RS6 Plus, no question about it. You'll forget about the 'wagon' in no time, the second you floor it. It'll also be one of 35 very unique cars. Even the M3 CSL will be mass-produced in comparison ;)

Basically what you are saying is that you don't want another BMW.

Benman
April 13th, 2004, 20:23
Originally posted by nomis
Cheers Ben :cheers:

Well, I've just spoken with Audi UK and they are bringing 35 RHD UK spec RS6+ Avants into the country.
THE RS 6 PLUS AVANT!!!!!! I would jump all over that in A HOT TUNA SECOND!!!! 35 cars?!? WOW, no question, an easy choice!:cheers:
Ben:addict: