PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of "adaptive" performance?

JAXRS6
April 12th, 2004, 06:40
I think I understand WHAT Audi's adaptive performance is. It's a way to alter performance with performance -- that is, spirited driving produces faster performance (eventually), while a lighter foot on the accelerator results in lesser performance & better fuel economy.

The question for me is, WHY does it exist? I mean, I have a perfectly functioning right foot that responds to inputs from my brain, which -- while not perfect -- does know how to operate my foot. If I want to go fast, I step on it; if I want better fuel economy, I drive more slowly.

Among the 10 brands I've owned, US and European, only Audi is "adaptive." What is its purpose? What advantage does it offer over what I can do without it, i.e. drive slow or fast when I see fit -- rather than feel like I have to drive fast all the time just to keep performance up? Why not just have one "mode" and let my brain & foot do what they do with other brands -- that is, drive fast when I want, and slow when I want, without having to worry if the car is "adapting" & whether it might not be up to passing someone on the highway because I've been trying to conserve fuel?:confused:

Please don't answer by saying that as an RS6 owner, I must be so filthy rich that I don't care about fuel economy. Because 1) it's not true, and 2) it's not addressing the questions raised here.

nene
April 12th, 2004, 14:58
What you say JAX about your brain and right foot being in control is correct, but only when you've switched the gear knob to manually being able to change the gear settings.

When the car is on 'D' mode, the Tiptronic's adaptive program recognizes the driver's style at a particular moment, and varies the shift points accordingly. This is what gives the driver a sense of more power being available.

If you are using the gear selection yourself, you won't be taking advantage of the adaptive system. Your brain, left/right hand, and right foot will do the management of power.

Klint
April 12th, 2004, 15:25
Interesting stuff, Nene.

I've found that in my car ( a 325) which is a manual, adapts aswell, I know this because the car has flat spots in the powerband if I hover the revs around a certain rpm for such a duration, so really the car goes into "economy" mode when the car's power isn't being fully utilised. :confused:

Klint
April 12th, 2004, 15:30
Originally posted by Klint
Interesting stuff, Nene.

I've found that in my car ( a 325) which is a manual, adapts aswell, I know this because the car has flat spots in the powerband if I hover the revs around a certain rpm for such a duration, so really the car goes into "economy" mode when the car's power isn't being fully utilised. :confused:

Sorry, I forgot to include that the adaptive performance maybe deeper than just the gearbox ECU, there maybe some kind of firing sequence being changed within the engine and the engine's electronics.

JAXRS6
April 12th, 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by Klint
the adaptive performance maybe deeper than just the gearbox ECU, there maybe some kind of firing sequence being changed within the engine and the engine's electronics.

I think that's right; otherwise, why would APR's prez tell me at Sebring that driving more aggressively would resolve my issues of subpar performance, mild surging & hesitation? Which it did -- and I thank him for the suggestion!:thumb:

BUT -- my question is, what is the PURPOSE of adaptive performance? If it wasn't there in the first place, then (I suspect) I wouldn't have had surging & hesitation in the first place from driving conservatively.

I'll throw in the current Corvette for comparison. As far as I know, it has no "adaptive" characteristic. But it gets to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds and warrants an EPA rating of 29 mpg on the highway. Moreover, I've read that the EPA figure actually is being reached by Vette drivers.

So there you have it: a car that goes like hell, AND gets decent mileage, without "adaptive performance." Ergo, why adaptive performance?

eph94
April 12th, 2004, 22:19
My guess is that the adaptive performance is programmed in there so the shift points will suit the type of driver. For example, I tried some laps at LRP in "D" and in "S" mode to see what would happen. (By the way, even in "S" the shift points are downright weird.) When it was time to go home, the car would hold 2nd gear up at 4K+ RPMs and not shift, even in "D". I guess the car figured that's what I wanted. Now if I just liked cruising around town, I wouldn't want the car holding second gear that high, and I think the car does its best to recognize that through this "adaptive performance" programming. Just my guess.

While we're on the topic of the automatic transmission, it kills me how even if we're in "tiptronic" mode, the transmission will sometimes downshift. I was at an Evolution Autocross School this weekend in the RS6 and I wanted that darn transmission to stay in second but it kept telling me that I really wanted to be in first. No no no!! Other than that, it sure it fun throwing the Beast around. More than a few people were impressed at what 4200lbs could do. :thumb:

Klint
April 12th, 2004, 22:47
This is quite a tough question....I can't think of anything, other than either being pshycological or to prolong the life of the engine.

Benman
April 13th, 2004, 04:46
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I think I understand WHAT Audi's adaptive performance is. It's a way to alter performance with performance -- that is, spirited driving produces faster performance (eventually), while a lighter foot on the accelerator results in lesser performance & better fuel economy.

The question for me is, WHY does it exist? What is its purpose?
Unfortunately I think all cars will be going that way. Even Hondas (just check the brochure) offer "smart" transmissions that can "adapt" to the driver's needs and driving style. While I don't agree with the makers it seems to be their attemp at simulating a manual without the inconvienance (read laziness) of shifting for yourself. Personally I don't mind being lazy once in awhile. But when I use the Tip it does seem to listen but as JJV-MA states even then it will override you (then again so will a BMW with SMG!).

UrQ
April 13th, 2004, 16:26
Need a reset button that is quick and easy to use

JAXRS6
April 13th, 2004, 16:31
Originally posted by UrQ
Need a reset button that is quick and easy to use

Great idea! I may pass it on to AOA tech when I meet him at FL dealership on 4/26 (to discuss recurring OnStar red light issue).

GmbHouse
April 13th, 2004, 20:01
I wonder if it has something to do with helping manufacturers hit their CAFE limits. The EPA fuel economy ratings may be based on engine/transmission settings that change if the driver engages in "spirited" driving, but would not result in sufficiently high mileage if they were the default settings.

bilbozilla
April 14th, 2004, 00:11
I just read on AW where the A4 Tip owners are resetting theirs by turning the key on (but not turning over the engine), pressing the gas to the floor past the kickdown "block" for several seconds, releasing, then starting the engine.

Here's the original Post (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/574975.phtml)

I'm going to try it this evening and put this reset issue to rest.

Audihead
April 14th, 2004, 03:22
Bilbo, Just read about this technique in the latest issue of Quattro Quarterly. This seems to be the answer to unwanted tranny shifts. Let us know how this goes.:thumb:

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

bilbozilla
April 14th, 2004, 05:03
Seems to hold back on the shifts a bit more in S and pulls a little harder in D. I don't have quantitative data to back it up, but it seems to work. I'll have to start doing this every time I wash my beast.