PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the RS6 and its brakes

audiracer
April 11th, 2004, 20:10
I've been reading on this board as well as the audiworld.com board that the stock 8 piston brembos aren't sufficient enough to use at the track. Can anyone that has taken their RS6 to the track please provide some insight? A while back I saw and Tivo'd Tommy Kendall's test drive on Speed Channel of the RS6 at the track but funny thing is that it was raining so I don't think over heating the brakes were a problem. I don't know if Audi wanted them to test in the rain to prove the ability of the quattro and not bring up the braking issues?

One of the major reasons why I'm seriously looking at getting a RS6 is the ability to be used at the track a lot. (Some background on me, I'm a semi-professional racer, I'm professionally SCCA licensed and have about 5 years of racing experience, so I have a good idea of what I'm doing). :)

FYI: my friend with a M5 nuked his stock brakes within a day at the track. The car's performance was good but his brakes wasn't able to keep up with the rest of the car. I hope that makes some RS6 owners feel better.

So far the cars that I have experience with that are good at the track with stock brakes are Honda S2000, Porsche 993 C2S, Acura NSX, and BMW M3 SMGII.

Thanks in advance for your input!:)

gregoryindiana
April 12th, 2004, 00:33
Tab to the thread entitled " Brake Upgrades, should I spend $$$ or $$ or $0.

That thread should give you a good place to start.

avdh
April 12th, 2004, 07:32
I have been on the track a few weeks ago, and on a 4.5 km course (2.8 miles) I had hints of brake fade at the end of the second lap, and more serious brake fade by the third lap.

The RS6 brakes are great for the road, even for fast driving in mountain passes, but I'm afraid that on the track I have not much confidence in them.

Next time I go to the track I will replace the brake fluid with Castrol SRF, which has a much higher boiling point than than standard Dot 4.

I had excellent results on the S6 on the track with Castrol SRF, however even so I had to be careful on how hard I was on the brakes. Also, I had to change the discs several time. Hence using SRF improves or rather delays brake fade, but does not prevent your discs (rotors) to warp due to the heat.

BTW, the RS6 is too easy on the track..... :) even though it is very fast.
Pushing very hard, does not seem to improve times, but hell it understeers like a bitch!

Erik
April 12th, 2004, 18:57
Originally posted by audiracer
FYI: my friend with a M5 nuked his stock brakes within a day at the track. The car's performance was good but his brakes wasn't able to keep up with the rest of the car. I hope that makes some RS6 owners feel better.

You will experience similar things with the RS6.

A lot of cooling is needed between laps, it's not a 1200 kg Porsche RS after all... Braking is very good, but it eats pads.
Come prepared with pads :)

7:53 RS6
April 12th, 2004, 19:58
Originally posted by audiracer
I've been reading on this board as well as the audiworld.com board that the stock 8 piston brembos aren't sufficient enough to use at the track. Can anyone that has taken their RS6 to the track please provide some insight? A while back I saw and Tivo'd Tommy Kendall's test drive on Speed Channel of the RS6 at the track but funny thing is that it was raining so I don't think over heating the brakes were a problem. I don't know if Audi wanted them to test in the rain to prove the ability of the quattro and not bring up the braking issues?

One of the major reasons why I'm seriously looking at getting a RS6 is the ability to be used at the track a lot. (Some background on me, I'm a semi-professional racer, I'm professionally SCCA licensed and have about 5 years of racing experience, so I have a good idea of what I'm doing). :)

So far the cars that I have experience with that are good at the track with stock brakes are Honda S2000, Porsche 993 C2S, Acura NSX, and BMW M3 SMGII.

Thanks in advance for your input!:)

Even the best brakes could easely be destroyed if used wrong. Its not so hard to fade destroy brakes. Its much moore hard to use them at the right spot at track and then let them breed as much as possible at track before braking again. Sabine drives the M5 ring taxi ca 40 laps at nurburgring before change pads. (that is a lot of laps)
The brake setup is stock but PAGID Race pads are used.

A common thing on track is that brakes are overbreaked!

"learn by Doing":race:

Benman
April 13th, 2004, 04:36
Originally posted by Erik
You will experience similar things with the RS6.

A lot of cooling is needed between laps, it's not a 1200 kg Porsche RS after all...
Ditto. The brakes are good for what the car does. Use them reasonably and they'll last a lot longer (engine braking is a must in this Beast!)

Ben:addict: