PDA

View Full Version : How is the A6 2.7TT?

AriciU
April 7th, 2004, 15:05
Compared to a BMW 530i or A6 3.0? How's the suspension? Does it act like a big boat when jerking the steering wheel (like a Passat for example)? Lots of balance in the corners? How is the 6speed compared to the auto? I mean, is the tiptronic much slower (i prefer manual cars) then the manual? What's the fuel consumption in city driving? Do both turbos spool at the same time or are they sequential? What RPM does the car really come alive?

Ah... one last question. How is Audi's Quattro compared to VW's 4motion? What's the difference and witch one is better during winter time?

ZCD2.7T
April 7th, 2004, 15:44
Good questions, though they may not belong on this specific forum, but I'll let Erik decide that. :hihi:

As an owner of 2 of these cars, I'll attempt some answers:

The 2002 and newer 2.7Ts are fairly well-balanced, with good handling and steering feel. That is, as well balanced as a seriously nose-heavy car can be. The 2000-2001 models are not as well sorted, but are still very nice.

The 2.7T engine is a torquey mill, which makes the car feel even faster than it is. Tiptronics run 0-60mph (100Kph+/-) in about 6.6 seconds, whereas the 6 speeds run about 5.9 seconds. So, both are pretty fast cars.

I get about 19 miles per gallon in my normal driving. Not sure how to translate that to the Euro standard of liters/100km. The fuel economy is probably the car's weakest point, but we are talking about a fairly powerful AWD car that weighs 4000 lbs/1818kg.

quattro and VW 4motion are IDENTICAL.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I liked the car well enough to buy 2 of them - 2001 Pearl White/Melange Tiptronic Sedan(hers), and 2000 Brilliant Black/Melange Tiptronic Sedan(his/mine)

AriciU
April 7th, 2004, 15:51
19mpg isn't that bad. 5.9s is really fast! Wasn't expecting that considering it's weight. Thanks for the answers!

Aronis
April 7th, 2004, 17:43
That car is slated as the S6 to fill the model line. That is what I was told when I asked why there was an S6 Avant and not an S6 sedan. I don't understand why they did not just badge it as an S6 and beef up the suspension etc.....

The 4.2 only is available with the TIP which is a major disappointment. The 4.2 with manual 6 speed would rock.....

Anyway I have driven the 2.7 t with 6 speed, and it is very nice....I just prefered the styling of the 4.2, more creature comforts, and a V8....

Mike

enjoy it, you will...

of course if BMW gets their head of their ass and puts all wheel drive in a 540 or similar, ouch that would hurt Audi...a lot...

AriciU
April 7th, 2004, 20:37
Hehe. I don't ever see BMW using AWD for their more powerfull models (except 330 that is). I heard BMW's "iX" sistem isn't that good and you're better off sticking with the RWD.

Aronis
April 7th, 2004, 20:49
the iX system uses ABS to apply brakes to spinning wheel which looses traction, this take power away, wears the brakes etc.

The Audi system actually mechanically takes power away from slipping wheel, so no net loss of power.

But, if BMW gets it's act together and copies the Audi system, OUCH..

Mike

AriciU
April 7th, 2004, 22:54
Yea but i guess it's a mentality thing. When i think of a BMW i think RWD, when i think of Audi i think Quattro, when i think of VW's i think FWD. Personally i wouldn't want to see BMW going the AWD route and abandoning RWD. That's what BMW's are IMO, nicely powered and balanced, N/A, RWD performance machines.

gjg
April 8th, 2004, 08:16
2002 A6q 2.7tt with Sports package, 6 speed stick and MTM's stage 1 is very nice setup

306 HP 225 kW Modified MTM-motronic computer with improved max. torque about 480 Nm

djinn
April 8th, 2004, 15:15
I heard the avveleration of the 2.7tt tiptronik as 7.4 secs and multitronic 6.8 secs. I don't know the manuel one's acceleration because they don't sell A6 with manuel transmission in Turkey. Do you guys know the max speed of the manuel one?

ZCD2.7T
April 8th, 2004, 16:58
Originally posted by djinn
I heard the avveleration of the 2.7tt tiptronik as 7.4 secs and multitronic 6.8 secs. I don't know the manuel one's acceleration because they don't sell A6 with manuel transmission in Turkey. Do you guys know the max speed of the manuel one?

In the US, Audi quotes 6.6 sec. 0-60mph Tip and 6.0 for the 6 speed. Magazine road tests have confirmed those numbers to be accurate.

The Euro version of the 2.7T originally had 230 hp, but now has 250 hp. The US version has had 250 hp all along.

I don't think that the 2.7T engine has ever been offered with the Mutitronic transmission anywhere in the world.

Perhaps the numbers you're quoting are for a 230 hp Avant?

As for top speed, Audi UK quoted 152 mph for the 230 hp version at one time. US models are limited to 130 mph. I've never seen a definitive top speed test of a 250 hp 2.7T sedan, but logically, it should be capable of about 155-157 mph, I should think, if offered without the electronic speed limiter.

AriciU
April 9th, 2004, 02:52
Audi.ro quotes (i think they are the same number from the German site witch doesn't have the C5 A6 anymore) 7.5s for the tiptronic and 6.8s for the 6speed. I didn't hear of a multitronic transmission either. It's used only for the B6 A4's i think.

djinn
April 9th, 2004, 15:22
2.7t is certainly offered in Turkey and there is a nice difference in accelerations between tiptronic and multitronic. Maybe multitronic transmission is only offered in Turkey. Is 6.6 secs for the tiptronic Audi quote or a car magazine quote because there is a big difference btw 6.6 secs and 7.5 secs. :confused: