PDA

View Full Version : Performace of a "non chiped" RS6

tgroeger
April 5th, 2004, 21:50
Hi!
Has anyone measured the performace of his/her RS6 ?
I did it today, and I was realy surprised!

This is a "non chiped" , original RS6. 355.3kw and 658NM.
Anyone the same experience.

UrQ
April 6th, 2004, 03:47
So like 476 hp ? How many miles do you have on engine ? Do you have enhanced exhaust ? This is also a non US version ?

Erik
April 6th, 2004, 07:53
Hi tgroeger and thanks a lot for the dyno.

355.3kw equals:

476 US hp

483 Metric hp.

That and 658 Nm seem a little high.

tgroeger
April 6th, 2004, 08:05
I drove 15000km.
The car is equipped with standard exhaust pipes.
And it is a german RS6 from November 2003.

I am wondering a little bit about Audi, selling their RS6 plus with 480hp, when the "normal" version has the same performance

So I am searching for RS6 owners, who did a performance test.

But more impressive is the maximum engine torque with 658 NM (485 lbf ft)
About 100NM more than stock values.

(BTW 355,3kw are 483hp)

tgroeger
April 6th, 2004, 08:19
Originally posted by Erik
Hi tgroeger and thanks a lot for the dyno.

355.3kw equals:

476 US hp

483 Metric hp.

That and 658 Nm seem a little high.

The testing device ist a Bosch FLA 206 (max 600hp+ / 270km/h)
It is calibrated every year, with a tolerance of +/- 1%.

Did you any measurement?

Erik
April 6th, 2004, 08:20
I actually think the RS6 Plus is a 500 hp car. But that is only a guess. :hahahehe:

Erik
April 6th, 2004, 08:22
Originally posted by tgroeger
Did you any measurement?

OK.

From this article. http://www.rs6.com/articles/008.html

I don't know what this computer is called, but according to the readings before chipping the car put out MAX 560 Nm which
is according to the book. After chipping, if I remember correct, I saw about 650-680 Nm. (Hohenester Stage 1)

http://www.rs6.com/gfx/articles/008d-l.jpg

Aronis
April 6th, 2004, 16:26
nice little story on chipping...

hey, can we just buy the chip and install it ourselves? Sounds like it was a simple swap, much like a Dinan Chip for the older BMWs, before the security bs was put on the same fricken chip...bastards....

looks like the board in the picture had a removable chip, no soldering needed?

Mike

Gustav
April 6th, 2004, 18:35
483 HP standard :MTM:

Wow.

Erik
April 6th, 2004, 21:08
Originally posted by Aronis
looks like the board in the picture had a removable chip, no soldering needed?

That is just the computer to read what's going on in the car, same as your mechanic would use. :mech:

Aronis
April 6th, 2004, 21:37
I was refering to the pictures in the article about the process.....

Mike

Erik
April 6th, 2004, 21:47
Originally posted by Aronis
I was refering to the pictures in the article about the process.....

Mike

OK. Soldering still needed. That little extra thing is what some would call 'copy protection' I guess.

Nordschleife
April 7th, 2004, 09:42
Guys

You CANNOT get reliable absolute performance figures from a chassis dynamometer. Rolling roads are good at giving yyou the deltas, but not the absolute values.

The only way to callibrate a chassis dyno is to take the engine out of the car and put in on an engine dynamometer. This will tell you the correction for that one car (note car, not model).

There are so many variables to contend with, even between otherwise identical cars, that you are deluding yourself looking at anything apart from torque (and horsepower) at the wheels. There is simply too much variation between engines to accurately calculate gross hp based on the figures from a different engine.

This why serious engine shops tune engines on an engine dyno and the rolling road gathers dust.

I have two printouts beside me, one is from a run on a chassis dyno and the other is the result of being put on the engine dyno, there is a 12 per cent error between the two.

So to be on the safe side, its much better just to compare at the wheel figures, if you are using a rolling road. Results from hydro dynos are more reliable than roller dynos as there is no slip on the rollers.

HTH

R+C

Benman
April 7th, 2004, 15:17
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Guys

I have two printouts beside me, one is from a run on a chassis dyno and the other is the result of being put on the engine dyno, there is a 12 per cent error between the two.

HTH

R+C
Car & Driver did a recent Dyno test with the exact same M5. Just by incresing the air flow of the fan in front the results changed dramaticly. Froma puny fan blowing 5-10mph in front of the car to a turbine fan blowing 75mph changed the results from @330 at the wheels to over 410!:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Benman
April 7th, 2004, 15:18
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Guys

HTH

R+C
Car & Driver did a recent Dyno test with the exact same M5. Just by incresing the air flow of the fan in front the results changed dramaticly. Froma puny fan blowing 5-10mph in front of the car to a turbine fan blowing 75mph changed the results from @330 at the wheels to over 410!:cheers: (and no the M5 wasn't stock)
Ben:addict:

AlanN
April 7th, 2004, 15:29
Yep, chassis dynos are only really good for seeing "before and after" results of a bit of tweaking, and only then if you use the SAME one and the weather and setup is the same.