PDA

View Full Version : RS4 Summary of fact/ rumour concerning likely spec

ndrummond
April 4th, 2004, 18:49
This subject has been discussed on a variety of other performance car forums. In case you don't have the time to trawl through them all, I thought it might be helpful to include a synthesis of what other people are saying we should expect of the next RS4:

1. 4.2.naturally aspirated V-8 Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) engine good for about 400bhp.

2. New engine expected to be smaller/ more compact than current V-8 and mated to a new shorter length gearbox will allow engine to fit further back in chassis improving overall weight distribution - but it still won't be 50:50.

3. Torsen differential altered so that power now split 40:60 between front: rear, versus current 50:50. (I expect this will improve handling and turn in, but I'd be grateful if the real petrolheads out there could explain the benefits of this to amateur enthusiasts like me.)

4. Given overall quality of B6 chassis, the handling should be better than the current RS6, even though it will have less power.

5. Expected to be shown at March 2005 Geneva Autoshow and made available soon after.

There a some other unconfirmed factors that are interesting if not yet certain:

6. Audi is developing a DSG gearbox for its higher performance cars which may be avaiable on the RS4.

7. Everyone agrees that the RS4 needs to shed some weight. Weight savings could come from including aluminium bonnet, boot and miscellaneous other body panels. The suspension could also utilise aluminium. This is likely to be costly without a significant gain. What it really needs is an aluminium platform, but this won't happen because of the time/ cost to engineer one.

8. Expect beefed up brakes that force induct air to ensure efficient cooling, hence large inlet ducts on protype seen lapping the Ring.

One thing everyone agrees on is that this car cannot come soon enough. Some people think it is coming too late in the model cycle.

Given recent developments across the high-performance category, this car should be a mighty beast. Whereas the current S4 may not comprehensively eclipse the M3 - a debate that is sure to continue - I think we can all be sure that the RS4 will definitely eat it for breakfast.

Many people who saw the new A6 at Geneva are surpised at how god the new grille looks in the flesh. The overall lines show that Audi's design language is progressive without being too contraversial. The new grille with more agressive additions to the current A4 body shape should result in a car that looks sensational.

My own personal hope is that the RS4 will have a DSG gearbox and better fuel consumption. (FSI technology does deliver greater economy as well as meeting Euro 4 emission requirements.)

I welcome any additions or corrections to this data - it is just an edited version of what others are saying - not fact from an industry source - so please, anyone close to Quattro Gmbh, give us the scoop - and Audi, if you're listening please release the RS4 as soon as you can. As soon as the final specification is officially announced, my order is going in. ('Bye 'bye M3)!

Benman
April 4th, 2004, 20:18
The naturally aspirated V8 sounds realistic (although I think quite a few of us will be sad to see the first RS model that does not have a turbo configuration:cry: ). The new 40/60 torque split sounds promising. As you state the weight savings seems unlikely due to costs so it will be interesting to see if the car weights any less than the S4. But we do want it to come soon!
Ben:addict:

grizzly
April 5th, 2004, 22:03
In the new German Auto Bild, there is some info about a N/A 4,2l FSI with 420PS. for the RS4 coming early 2005.

remedy
April 6th, 2004, 12:58
One thing everyone agrees on is that this car cannot come soon enough. Some people think it is coming too late in the model cycle.

Audi always makes the RS-editions late in the model cycle. Probably to boost the line's image before a new model is launched.

ndrummond
April 6th, 2004, 14:42
Originally posted by Benman
[B. As you state the weight savings seems unlikely due to costs so it will be interesting to see if the car weights any less than the S4. Ben:addict: [/B]

What do you think: A lighter engine and transmission; aluminium for suspension components; aluminium for bonnet, front wings and bootlid/ tailgate; plus lighter seats could save about 100 -150 kgs in total? This reduction might not make much difference overall, but would certainly help if the weight were reduced from front end?

Benman
April 6th, 2004, 21:35
Originally posted by ndrummond
What do you think: A lighter engine and transmission; aluminium for suspension components; aluminium for bonnet, front wings and bootlid/ tailgate; plus lighter seats could save about 100 -150 kgs in total? This reduction might not make much difference overall, but would certainly help if the weight were reduced from front end?
I doubt much weight will be saved through the engine and transmission. The suspension already has some aluminium in it's construction (although they could certainly use more). The front fenders and hood could shave some wieght but again, not much. I predict that the RS 4 will NOT weight 100 LBS ( let alone KGS) less than the S4. Feel free to quote me. And I will be HAPPY to eat crow if I'm wrong. Because it will mean a better driver's car for all of us!:cheers:

tailpipe
April 15th, 2004, 13:51
According to the story in Autobild, quoted elsewhere on this website, ndrummond's summary of likely RS4 spec appears to be verified. It will have the new 4.2 litre V8 FSI engine. However, an automatic option for the gearbox will not be offered. I find this disappointing because the many positive reports about both DSG and the new 6-speed autobox fitted on the S4, make such an option highly desirable. By the way, it is worth checking out the facelifted A4 range - it looks sensational. I can't wait to see it in the flesh. I think it is likely to be very successful.

Nordschleife
April 15th, 2004, 15:34
if you have DSG, you don't need automatic. There is also the possibility of a sequential type gearbox, possibly from Australia (no do your own research).
With Audi's present quattro arrangement, he problem with a shorter gearbox is that it doesn't matter what you do, you still have the engine ahead of the front axle. Until Audi solves this problem, there will always be handling compromises, so there are limits as to what anybody is capable of achieving. One way of getting round this problem, for a race car, is to set the engine behind the front axle and then fix a device rather like a chain saw to the front wheel take-offs to another set of takeoffs monted in front of the engine.

R+C

TheBrit
April 18th, 2004, 15:00
Originally posted by Nordschleife
With Audi's present quattro arrangement...
Do you think use of the Torsen T3 (type C) diff could improve packaging options? As an aside, the T3 also allows nominal torque splits other than 50/50, so it could be an option if the rumours of rear-weighted splits are true.

Benman
April 18th, 2004, 19:24
Originally posted by TheBrit
Do you think use of the Torsen T3 (type C) diff could improve packaging options? As an aside, the T3 also allows nominal torque splits other than 50/50, so it could be an option if the rumours of rear-weighted splits are true.
That's interesting. That could be what they're looking for to better the rear wheel feel.:cheers: