PDA

View Full Version : Mods to front seats (for lateral support)

minimme
April 1st, 2004, 20:02
I'm a new RS6 owner and have an 04 S4 avant. i love the S4 Recaro and especially the lateral support.

Has anyone been succesful changing the seats in the RS6 for the Euro Recaros? S8 Seats? or better yet the new S4 Recaros? (I suspect the later will be too small for the car, can anyone confirm?)

Alternatively, do you think it is possible to have a profesional modify the existing seats to make the side bolsters more snug? if so any ideas of the kind of person to go to?

thanks!

Bauer
April 1st, 2004, 20:34
I am sure with enough $$$ you could farbricate something to work. I have even considered importing the European RS6 Recars but found that to be a little spendy $6000.00. I also think the S8 seat are far more comfortable then the US RS6 seats.....we got a little screwed on that IMO.

Good Luck

Erik
April 1st, 2004, 21:05
Recaro bucket seats - I'm not so sure they're such a good idea for everyday driving.

A picture is in its place:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_21/car_portal_pic_10791.jpg :hahahehe:

JAXRS6
April 2nd, 2004, 02:22
My FL dealer checked & said A8 seats won't work in the RS6. Michael Hoppen said he was expecting news about possible Recaro availability, but he didn't call me back & all I've heard since then is ridiculous prices from other sources.

As Erik points out, the Recaros may not be best for everyday driving anyway. I'm interested in a switch myself, but not for $6K or necessarily even for appearance; I'm looking for relief from mid-to-upper back pain on long trips, which never happened in my A4, my S4, or at any other time except after driving the RS6.

Why did Europe get Recaros and the US did not? Price & marketing differences, I would guess. Audi must've figured Europeans would prefer the Recaros, but US drivers -- already balking at the $82.7 base price, even tho it's lower than elsewhere -- would not want to pay more to get them.

I'll be following this post to see if anything else comes up that might help my pain. It's not bad on a daily basis, but longer trips bring it on.

DAB01
April 2nd, 2004, 02:40
I believe that the major reason that we don't get the good seats has to do with DOT clearance. Porsche went through this with the GT 3 seats and decided that given the cost involved in further crash testing, the more sensible (=profitable) alternative was to equip the GT-2 and GT-3 with the already approved sport seats. I would bet that Audi has followed their example. Have you considered Sparco and OMP seats? They both offer excellent alternatives and seem to have mounts to accomodate just about any car one can imagine.

DAB.

JAXRS6
April 2nd, 2004, 03:10
Originally posted by DAB01
Have you considered Sparco and OMP seats? They both offer excellent alternatives and seem to have mounts to accomodate just about any car one can imagine.

Thanks for the tip -- I've emailed Sparco & hope to call OMP tomorrow. Didn't know about them until your post, so thanks again!:thumb:

Benman
April 2nd, 2004, 05:43
Originally posted by minimme
Alternatively, do you think it is possible to have a profesional modify the existing seats to make the side bolsters more snug? if so any ideas of the kind of person to go to?

thanks!
Depending on where you live there are those who do nothing but modify interiors for a living. In Southern California they seem to be at every other street corner. One of the vendors our shop works with can do just about anything you can imagine, from more side padding (reshaping) to suede inserts (real, not alcantara). Just depends on what your looking for. And as Bauer states... $$$. Although a lot les than importing Recaros. :cheers:
Ben:addict:

nyrs6
April 2nd, 2004, 06:27
anybody have problems with the seats that come with the RS6. I know the recaros are better. but i find the ones that come with t he RS6 has no problem. We went on a 6 hour trip when we first got the car in august and they were very good. Unless someone is planning on driving it at the track all the time.

JAXRS6
April 2nd, 2004, 07:23
Originally posted by nyrs6
anybody have problems with the seats that come with the RS6.

Yes, as noted above I get mid-to-upper back pain on long drives. Didn't come up til halfway through a 6000 mile trip last summer, soon after I took delivery, but since then I get symptoms every time I spend more than about 2-3 hours behind the wheel.

Our anatomies are similar but not identical, so my guess is that different seats affect different folks in different ways. The most successful, comfort-wise, are those that accommodate the greatest number IMO.

Bauer
April 2nd, 2004, 17:42
I believe that the major reason that we don't get the good seats has to do with DOT clearance.

Yes that is exactly the reason we did not get them. From what I understand it would have added about $1500 to each car, which I would have HAPPLY :D paid. In fact I think the Alcantra roof liner is a nice touch but if it were between the Recaros and the roof liner....well by by roof liner (the two are about the same cost).

As for the Recaros, after sitting/riding in an RS4 which has the same seats....I still am considering a purchase. If fact I will be in Ireland / France in July and I am thinking of taking a small detour to Germany while I am there to see if I can get the seats at a better price.

The US spec seats put my right leg to sleep after about 1.5 hours of driving. FYI, I am 6'3" 230lbs...so I don't know if my size has anything to do with it. I know that the Recaros in our S8 are just about the best seats I have had my a$$ in:thumb: . I think that they are slightly better then the RS6 European Recaros as the S8 Recaros have more adjustmens and memory.

RobertV
April 2nd, 2004, 17:51
The seats put my right leg to sleep after about 1.5 hours of driving too. My thought is that the US spec RS6 and S6 seats are the same. Can anyone confirm?
Please keep us informed about any upgrades you do.

Bauer
April 2nd, 2004, 18:00
My thought is that the US spec RS6 and S6 seats are the same.

They are the exact same seat so already DOT.:vgrumpy: approved.

Aronis
April 2nd, 2004, 18:23
Just a question...

Did you ever try your long drive at the speed limit? (no one on this board speeds, ever LOL)

I think stress over having to watch every tree as you speed along above the limit adds to back pain.

I get back pain too on long rides when in the US. But when I visit the in-laws in ole Canada, I don't get much pain! I speed even faster there LOL.....Canadian Mounties can't afford laser speed detectors LOLOLOLOL....

Mike