PDA

View Full Version : O.CT Tiptronic Chip News.....m.....

Speed Technik
March 29th, 2004, 18:09
O.CT Tip Chips are now available to the public. One word, WOW!!!

I have one in stock ready to go, just completed two of the production units and they work great. The TIP CHIP would be a great compliment to ecu software.

Pricing:
$500 plus labor

Time Frame:
No need to send the TCU box out anymore so I would only need to have the car 1 day.

Email or call for more info.

Brian

ming 2.7t
March 30th, 2004, 02:04
Does that chip speed up the shifts?

CarbonFibre
March 30th, 2004, 08:01
So they're better than the GIAC tip chips?

Finnus
March 30th, 2004, 14:00
Brian,

I hate to show my ignorance, but what does the tip chip do? Change shift points? Is it beneficial with chipped cars with higher hp? If so, how?

Finnus
:addict:

Speed Technik
March 30th, 2004, 15:04
We can do GIAC software but have not tested it in our RS6. That DOES NOT MEAN that it isn't good stuff, we just did not chose it for our setup. After comparing other tip software with other ecu's, I would say that a matched set seems to perform the best. We have mixed and matched and have discovered that going with one company for both yeilds the best results. Did I just repeat myself, not awake yet.....

What does tip software do you ask.....

1. Allows you to tach out higher
2. Snappier shifts, less delay
3. Boost tranny line pressure yeilding the quicker shifts
4. Takes care of gear hunting in some RS6's

I hope I was able to answer your questions. If anyone has anything else to ask, email or call me.

:s4addict: Gotta represent my tribe every now and then....

nyrs6
March 30th, 2004, 15:06
does it take off the rev limiter? That will help alot at the track.

Speed Technik
March 30th, 2004, 15:13
To put it bluntly, we would never intentionally hit the rev limiter on a client's car. However, when I was testing your dad's car, she would shift right before redline in "S" mode. The bit dyno says he should be in the 11's w/no problem. :wo:

EternalX
March 30th, 2004, 19:09
so this just lets it shift differenty but doesnt increase hp? do modified ecus that increase hp & tq also have these tip chips to help the car shift differently? how is a tip chip different from different tranny software?

CarbonFibre
March 30th, 2004, 22:34
Let me just start off by saying that I am not a technical genius or anything. I can't see a tip chip every increasing horsepower or torque. It may give the sensation of more hp/trq and allow the engine mods to perform to their full potential, but I don't understand how it would make more power. The chip modifies that transmission control software. I suppose that a tranny could be modified to allow more power delivery to the wheels than originally allowed mechanically if the software can control how certain hardware behaves. This, if it were possible, sounds like it could potentially weaken or damage the driveline components.

I apologize if my post is somewhat hard to follow as I am trying to make an observation based on my very limited knowledge in this field.

CarbonFibre
March 30th, 2004, 22:36
Also, I did not know that you guys had never installed the GIAC tip chip. I guess you're right in that it would be a safe assumtion that each TCU mod works better with its respective ECU upgrade from that same tuner.

Erik
March 30th, 2004, 22:36
Isn't the tip chip needed for the tranny to use the new engine performance to the full?

You change the character of the engine, hence you need a new program for the gearbox.

Bauer
March 30th, 2004, 23:48
The TCU upgrade is recommended at different levels of ECU upgrades. MTM states the TCU is not needed until 535hp but they have told me that they have done TCU upgrades on stock ECU cars.

From what I understand the TCU quickens the shift and holds the gears longer for better performance. The TCU also increses the pressure of the fluid in the transmission. To my understanding this actually helps prevent wear on the unit. If you have noticed under hard driving or if caught in the wrong gear the transmission can give a 'thud' noise and doesn't feel too nice either. The TCU upgrade helps prevent this becasue the 'slack' in the system due to low pressure is reduced by the increase in pressure. Therefor actually creating smoother shifts. Also holding the gears longer lets the hp work and saves the transmission on the lower end where more torque is used. Torque is what typically destroys transmissions. This is atleast how it was explianed to me.

nyrs6
March 31st, 2004, 02:28
Just picked up the beast from speedtechnik and exactly what bauer says it does.

except that thud you are talking about got harder. not smoother. but of course thats at full throttle when you are just crusing it shifts smooth. Also when u downshift it makes that big thud.

we hopefully should be going to the track soon. I will keep you guys posted. I hope it will go into the 11s

Bauer
March 31st, 2004, 02:55
I would have thought the upgrade would have taken some of the "slack" out? I guess not.

NYRS6-

Does the car seem quicker? Is the hard shifting worrisom? Or is not extreme just a little harder?

nyrs6
March 31st, 2004, 03:35
Well actually its my dads RS6 he said it happend when it was stock but i awalys ride in the car it got a drop harder not too much. Mostly on down shifts i dont think its anything to worry about. Again we will have to take it to the track to see how much of a diffrence there is. You can see there is a difference. And it definetly shifts faster and higher rpm we can see that. so it makes a difference its worth it. And if you brake toruqe it holds at 2500 rpm as before it only went to 2000 and didnt hold soo that should make a big difference at the track.

well we will keep u posted:deal:

hogan
March 31st, 2004, 07:12
PLease give us a update in 7 days from install. I heard the car will go into dummy mode, turbos turn off. I have driven a chpped RS6 with the tranny chip and with all do respect the tranny chip should not make a thud worsen. The chip merley is suppose to change the shifting points and its only in the sport mode. I suggest driving to a all-wheel drive dyno and see what you paid for. Also the RS6 is a horrible drag car! Unless you get a rolling start! Becasue of the turbos it is impossible to create the proper start, but its still fun trying!

CarbonFibre
March 31st, 2004, 07:31
That doesn't mean that if there was a problem with ihs transmission already that the tip chip wouldn't make it worse or more noticeable.

Nordschleife
March 31st, 2004, 08:52
As I have said before, there is a fundemental problem with the transmission.
Reprogramming the transmission to perform better under maximum acceleration conditions appears to solve the problem. However, as I discovered when driving with over 800 NM (read way more than is offered currently by tuners) of torque, the thump just moved to the 'lets take it quietly' mode of driving. So changing from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 on the lightest of throttles (if you accelerate lightly in 3rd, say, you can force the change to 4th by just lifting the throttle), there would be the most appalling thump, that shook not only the drive train but the fillings in your teeth as well!
A lot of work by a real expert resulted in the torque being reduced, but he was able to rearrange the torque curve so that the bhp remained the same, albeit, as you would expect, higher up the rev range. This did solve the thump problem, you can still feel it sometimes, but only if you look for it.

HTH

R+C

nyrs6
March 31st, 2004, 14:58
Originally posted by hogan
PLease give us a update in 7 days from install. I heard the car will go into dummy mode, turbos turn off. I have driven a chpped RS6 with the tranny chip and with all do respect the tranny chip should not make a thud worsen. The chip merley is suppose to change the shifting points and its only in the sport mode. I suggest driving to a all-wheel drive dyno and see what you paid for. Also the RS6 is a horrible drag car! Unless you get a rolling start! Becasue of the turbos it is impossible to create the proper start, but its still fun trying!

About the rs6 not being a drag car. Is not true, its all wheel drive very easy to hookup. Before the tip chip there was a delay when you would slam the gas. After the tip chip there is no delay it feels faster for that reason. Thats why it should do good at the track. Plus the perf chip and diverter valves should help the turbo lag.

and for the thug i dont think it got harder then before the tip chip all i am saying is since its shifting so fast it happens more often.

the car you drove that went into "dummy mode" which tip chip did it have

nyrs6
March 31st, 2004, 15:00
Originally posted by Nordschleife
As I have said before, there is a fundemental problem with the transmission.
Reprogramming the transmission to perform better under maximum acceleration conditions appears to solve the problem. However, as I discovered when driving with over 800 NM (read way more than is offered currently by tuners) of torque, the thump just moved to the 'lets take it quietly' mode of driving. So changing from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 on the lightest of throttles (if you accelerate lightly in 3rd, say, you can force the change to 4th by just lifting the throttle), there would be the most appalling thump, that shook not only the drive train but the fillings in your teeth as well!
A lot of work by a real expert resulted in the torque being reduced, but he was able to rearrange the torque curve so that the bhp remained the same, albeit, as you would expect, higher up the rev range. This did solve the thump problem, you can still feel it sometimes, but only if you look for it.

HTH

R+C

maybe you can suggest it to oct to make a chip that will update it.

Nordschleife
March 31st, 2004, 15:12
to get to the bottom of this problem, you would have to modify the gearbox internals, so you don't have to 'program around' it. Nobody is going to do that - the gearbox is obsolete.
Anybody wanting real torque should consider swapiing the box out and installing a manual box, which is stupid expensive.

R+C

Erik
March 31st, 2004, 15:16
Nordschleife, is it true Audi wanted a 6-speed auto-box but the new one (A8?) couldn't be done in time?

hogan
March 31st, 2004, 19:02
I dont care what you say the Audi sucks as a drag car, and I own one. Put a 6 speed manual and it would be the best drag car. If you hold the brake and try to bring the RPM up the car floods. If only we had a launch mode like the SMG M3. we wouldnt have this discussion.

nyrs6
March 31st, 2004, 20:12
btw thats exactly what the tip chip did it doesnt do that anymore.
it holds at 2500 :revs: steady doesnt go back down like it did before. So that makes it a good drag car. That was the big problem with launching the car. and now its solved.

CarbonFibre
March 31st, 2004, 20:13
Let me just say that Audi would probably never give us launch control on a car with as expensive of an engine and drivetrain as this. The reason for this is the fact that they have free scheduled maintinence for their vehicles. This would just cost them much more with people launching their cars at every other stoplight. Another reason they probably wouldn't do this is because of that whole "unintended acceleration" fiasco.

An yes it's true that Audi wanted to put the 6 speed autobox like that of the A8 in the RS6. There wasn't one that could handle the power and torque of the RS6 ready in time for the car's production.

nyrs6
March 31st, 2004, 20:19
btw about the 6 speed. they were only planning on having the 6spd for europe only :nono: not US.

2nd is that are dealer told us that in europe they have no limiter on the launch control. and that it would hold at 3000:revs:.
imagine that :incar: the 1/4 would be crazy. Plus he said he drove and was able to get a four wheel burnout.

nyrs6
April 1st, 2004, 15:14
Originally posted by nyrs6
btw thats exactly what the tip chip did it doesnt do that anymore.
it holds at 2500 :revs: steady doesnt go back down like it did before. So that makes it a good drag car. That was the big problem with launching the car. and now its solved.

does anybody in europe have this problem of keeping the tach up when break torqueing. and what rpm does it rev too

EternalX
April 1st, 2004, 21:48
you may not want to say launch control because the rs6 does not have that. its an automatic, the launch control is as follows:

put tranny into drive
let go of brake
push gas

now, the ecu might be different to not allow the engine the brake tq, and i imagine this would be an easy problem to fix. has anyone looked into having their stock USA ecu flashing with european programming? ive heard of this being done numerous times on other audis. that may solve the torque converter lockup problem!

CarbonFibre
April 2nd, 2004, 01:42
Well yes when I mean launch control I am talking about on a car like the TT 3.2 DSG and in reference to future Audis. I'm almost certain that depressing the brakes will cut the throttle on any newer Audi be it automatic or manual. I'm not sure if it is this way in Europe. If not, you can blame 60 Minutes for it.

nyrs6
April 2nd, 2004, 04:28
the tip chip makes it possible