PDA

View Full Version : Reverse and Turning

sprint Blue
March 26th, 2004, 02:48
Ok, I've developed a problem. When I put the car in reverse and turn the wheel to the right while backing up, there is a loud squeak/squeal that sounds like is coming from deep in the steering system. Anyone know what the heck could be causing it? I've mentioned it to the dealer and he'll take a look at it at the 5000 mile service (got a couple of thousand miles to go.) Also, my brakes still squeak when coming to a stop. I thought it would go away by now. Please help.

JAXRS6
March 26th, 2004, 02:54
I suggest you insist that the tech go for a ride with you so that you can identify the sound while it's happening, and so tech can hear it too. I just finished another post for another car making odd noises, and I've had some myself, and they never seem to be resolved unless the person with the complaint & the person assigned to fix it go for a ride togeter.

bilbozilla
March 26th, 2004, 02:57
Can't get it to stop (the squeaks, that is. It's all I can to to keep my tonsils from flying out of my mouth when my beast comes to a halt.)

gregoryindiana
March 26th, 2004, 03:00
I have the identical sound. The first time I heard it I was shocked at how loud it was; it seemed to almost vibrate the wheel with the noise.

It sounded like the sound some cars with powwer steering used to make when you were turning the wheel faster than the hydraulic pump could pressurize fluid, like during parallel parking when the engine was just idling.

I don't know what the noise is, but it only happened once really loud, a 2nd time less so. Since then I try not to turn the wheel real sharply while in reverse.

Not much help; I will mention it to the dealer at my first 5k service and see also if they can hear it with the tech in the car with me. That won't probably be until June, I'm guessing

sturs6
March 26th, 2004, 03:09
I may not have worded it as well as you did Sprint but check out my post It won't stop (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3715)...
-Stuart

Edit: Sorry Sprint I just saw your PM!!!

CarbonFibre
March 26th, 2004, 05:01
I don't know if this is related but a lot of cars make a louder sound when you have the wheel turned to its max in either direction. Are you holding it at the limit or does it stay there on its own? I have noticed that with cars there is a small amount of movement right before you get to lock on either side where if you let go of the wheel it will move back a bit. I hope this makes sense.

Benman
March 26th, 2004, 05:04
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I suggest you insist that the tech go for a ride with you so that you can identify the sound while it's happening, and so tech can hear it too. It never seem to be resolved unless the person with the complaint & the person assigned to fix it go for a ride togeter.

Always a good idea.

sturs6
March 26th, 2004, 12:06
Originally Posted by: CarbonFibre
Are you holding it at the limit or does it stay there on its own?
This is what another Audi owner asked but this problem is not a lock nor is it close in my case it can happen at any time during a low speed turn.
Is there anything in these cars that changes the steering according to how fast one is going?
-Stuart

Klint
March 26th, 2004, 12:56
Low level of powersteering fluid?

Dirt and grime build up in the powersteering parts?

Air pockets in the system?

Bad bearing in the steeriing column?

Lack of oil/grease on the parts?

Carbonfibre, is correct though, when the wheel if fully locked over, it strains the system just that bit more and causes the engine to rev a touch more to keep everything in touch.

It could be a design flaw? Anyone with a right hand drive RS6 have the same problem?

Try changing the pads to ones that are more focused towards street use, that may cure the squeeking brake problem, but you'll have to compromise on braking performance.

Bauer
March 26th, 2004, 16:46
I had a kind of groaning noise that would occure at low speeds going up hill and truning....noise has not been back in 8000 miles so I have not worried about it. Maybe the same deal...there was a thread on the subject earlier. I hope they figure it out.

audirs6sport
March 27th, 2004, 00:12
I dunno if this helps, but before when I used to own the a6, I had the same noise problem with the brakes; in addition, my front suspension portions were making a nasty grouchy squeaking noise (couldn't get this fixed). But as far as the brakes go, after I got the rotors replaced (because the car was pulsating when I brake from 60+ MPH), the squeaking noise went away. Maybe it's just braking system's wear and tear sound. :addict: :addict: :rs6kiss: :mech:

sturs6
March 27th, 2004, 12:32
My car has made this noise since I bought it. How about yours Sprint?
-Stuart