PDA

View Full Version : "Adapting" performance helped improve it

JAXRS6
March 24th, 2004, 07:16
As many of you know I've had on-and-off subpar performance issues since December. But a recent, simple, do-it-yourself suggestion seems to have produced significant improvement.

The suggestion came up during a chat with a tuner, who said the RS6 has "adaptive performance" qualities: If you drive fast or accelerate harder over a period of several days, the car (actually its computer I guess) responds by running faster/better. His suggestion was to simply "drive like a madman" for a few days & see if performance improves.

My pattern had been to drive more like Mr. Milktoast most of the time, with only occasional use of the power available. But now that I've been accelerating faster (when safe to do so) and keeping RPMs up by staying in S or using theTip, I can definitely feel significant improvement.

Then again, this technique was preceded by a tankful with a bottle of Techron added, and another with octane booster -- per dealer recommendations for periodic maintenance. So, that may be helping too.

But I wonder: Has anyone else experimented with simply accelerating faster to see if it results in being able to...accelerate faster?! :incar:

Ironically, my car is running so good now that I don't feel I need the chip that the tuner who told me this sells!

nene
March 24th, 2004, 14:24
I believe the same is true for other S-line cars such as the B5-S4.

Erik
March 24th, 2004, 14:27
The tiptronic sure is adaptive. Perhaps other functions as well(?)

If you drive on track the gearbox gets hyper for a while in normal traffic. :revs:

JA
March 24th, 2004, 14:48
First, it's good to hear that your performance is improving so dramatically. Enjoy!

As far as the RS6s' "adaptive performance" capabilities, I definitely think you are on to something there.

I am a relatively new RS6 owner (I brought her home from the dealership 12/18).

I have remarked somewhat recently that my car has felt like an entirely different (and exhilarating) animal since around the 1,100-1,200 mile mark. I have 1,700 on her now.

Looking back, I strictly observed the recommended break-in period, rarely hitting even 4,500 rpm, and did almost all of my driving in "D" mode.

Once I crossed the 1,100 mile mark, I began driving considerably more aggressively. I drive most of the time now in "S" mode or Tiptronic (usually on the highway; 3rd and 4th speeds).

When I am in "S" mode, I can feel the power; the engine seems all torqued up and ready to go at the slightest "step-down" on the pedal.

Given that I have heard more than once that the car is "pre-broken in" and crossing 1,000 miles shouldn't make such a massive difference in performance, I find it interesting how much more peppy and powerful she feels now. I think you are definitely on to something with the car adapting to how it's being driven.

:rs6kiss:

nene
March 24th, 2004, 14:54
If you own a VAG tool, you can do the same thing to your ECU as the dealerships do. They run the ECU adaptation, which basically resets it.
I did the same on my S4 when I would change the ECU from non-chip'd to chip'd. Sometimes I would do it to the stock ECU when I felt the car sluggish. It always seemed to work.

But one thing I've found about Audi cars, is that they are somewhat temperamental. One day it seems to be running like a wild animal, other times it seems tame.
One example: yesterday during lunch hour, the beast just seemed her normal self. But on my way home, she seemed more powerful, even during my regular driving habbits. Is it me? Is it the car?
I don't know, but the same thing used to happen to the S4.

I will try running the adaptation on the RS6 ECU and run some 'butt-dyno' to see if I can tell difference.

avdh
March 24th, 2004, 15:06
Three flat out runs to 200 + from stanstill (with left foot braking) normally "wake" the ECU up, and then the throttle response is very, how shall I say? Nervous? and the performance is improved. A few laps around the track does the same.

I wish they had a "stay awake all the time" mode/switch, so the car does not become lasy after driving sedately for a while.

All Audi's (and BMW's as well) seem to have that same feature, which for me is actually not a feature at all, but an annoyance....

However, since we found the electrical fault and fixed it, my RS6 is far more consistent, anyday except when the outside temperature is very hot.

JAXRS6
March 24th, 2004, 16:03
Originally posted by nene
I will try running the adaptation on the RS6 ECU and run some 'butt-dyno' to see if I can tell difference.

Good -- thanks! Please post results. :) :)

Sometimes I think about getting a VAG tool, but when it comes to operating computer programs, smart and me are not in the same room.

JAXRS6
March 24th, 2004, 16:23
Originally posted by avdh
I wish they had a "stay awake all the time" mode/switch, so the car does not become lasy after driving sedately for a while....All Audi's (and BMW's as well) seem to have that same feature, which for me is actually not a feature at all, but an annoyance....

I tend to agree; I mean, what could be the purpose of allowing the car to slip into a "slower" mode?

Just look at my situation: I've had the car in service three times for subpar performance issues. Each time the only thing showing up on the ECM recording was sporadic misfiring of all 8 cylinders. Numerous cures were tried, none with long lasting results. MAF and ECM both were replaced, and "bad fuel" was blamed -- causing me to become paranoid every time I fill up.

All that may have been in vain, if this adaptive driving was all that's needed. Moreover, I didn't learn of this cure (if that's what it is, too early to be sure IMO) from the dealer, or AOA, or my dealer in Michigan, who taken together have probably spent 4-5 hours on the phone with me.

No, I learned it from a tuner -- whose product might void my warranty! Kinda makes you wonder where the real brains are. Isn't Audi paying its techs well? They sure charge enough! Everything so far has been handled under warranty, true, but if I had gone through this out of warranty, I would have spent several thousand dollars in vain. (BTW this has happened before, i.e. incident occurred which showed that an aftermarket guy was smarter than the dealer's tech.)

So, given all the problems, I repeat the question: What could be the purpose of allowing the car to slip into a "slower" mode? I don't think they are trying reach the grandmother market with this car, or the S4 for that matter. And if there is no worthwhile purpose, why have it? Why not just have it running well all the time?

The increased performance I'm experiencing is not something that makes the car jump out of my control; it's the reason I bought the car! Why on earth try to hide it?

Just to clarify, I AM happy the car is running better & hope it continues to do so. But this experience has decreased my already declining faith in Audi's expertise on their own products.:D :alig: :D

JP4
March 24th, 2004, 17:59
Originally posted by Erik
If you drive on track the gearbox gets hyper for a while in normal traffic. :revs:

I can confirm that for sure. It takes a couple days for it to return to "normal" after a couple days of track use. :revs:

Aronis
March 24th, 2004, 18:48
One possible reason for the adaptive function of the car is to maximize fuel effeciency.

This has an effect on the fleet stats for a car and the effects on emission issues for the manufacturer.

If there are some (who) who don't drive the RS6 hard, then they don't miss the lost performance, but they get better gas milage.

Those who drive it hard, as it should, it's a sport car, then need to push their car to keep it at max power! Thus fuel efficiency is even worse, since you stand on it more often to 'Teach" it to run better...

D'ooh, who knows.

Mike

JAXRS6
March 24th, 2004, 19:27
Originally posted by Aronis
One possible reason for the adaptive function of the car is to maximize fuel effeciency.

Good point; maybe that's the reason. Still, I'd prefer an approach that keeps the car in top performance mode at all times. If the owner chose to drive below those threshholds, fine; wouldn't increased fuel economy from slower driving still take place?

I was advised once by the dealer to use S and maintain 3-4K rpm, which I did, but that alone didn't accomplish a lot. Now that I've added vigorous acceleration (when safe), I've noticed the improvement.

Re the tranny becoming "hyper" (per Erik) -- not sure what that means but in my case the tranny is shifting smoother now, along with the better engine performance. Before, during periods of subpar engine performance, shifts often were "clunky."

BTW I still can't rule out bad gas as a contributing factor. At the same time I've been driving more aggressively per the tuner's "adaptive" comment, I've also limited local gasoline purchases to one Chevron station that can & does produce a printout showing water content. The readings have been zero every time for the 93 octane that I use, with readings of very low water content for other grades at this particular station. So, presumably I'm using only "good gas" -- which might be helping performance. I have no way of knowing if it's a factor until I really do encounter "bad gas," which I'm obviously trying to avoid.

Aronis
March 24th, 2004, 20:05
Counterpoint on fuel efficiency.

The A6 4.2 which I had previous to my RS6 used to shift form 1st to 2nd at very low RPM's unless I hit it hard even with in Tip Mode. This was supposed to be for better fuel ecconomy, but my answer was if I want fuel ecconomy I will leave the car in full auto mode!

I searched for a reprogram to hold 1st gear longer, and found it after I had already bought my RS6, LOL....

In S or Tip MODE, DAM THE FUEL ECCONOMY.

In A, ok ok, let it sip the gas.

Mike

Bauer
March 25th, 2004, 01:30
let it sip the gas

Well.....I don't Think the RS6 ever sips gas.....just doesn't beer bong so much:wo: