PDA

View Full Version : Cts-v

UrQ
March 23rd, 2004, 05:48
Anyone run across a CTS-V yet that egged you on ?

sturs6
March 23rd, 2004, 14:47
The local Caddy dealer called me yesterday and said there is one coming in on Thursday. I plan on taking it for a little spin :hihi:. It will be interesting.
But to answer your question... no... but I have been looking for one or anything here lately.

-Stuart

Aronis
March 23rd, 2004, 16:30
Charlette, NC...

My brother lives near you! I am heading down for a visit this Summer and willl contact you when I am heading your way!

Mike

sturs6
March 23rd, 2004, 20:32
Cool Mike that would be great. I am lonely down here with no local RS6ers.
You know how to reach me.:addict:
:rs6kiss:
-Stuart

Audihead
March 23rd, 2004, 20:52
Live near Detroit, close to GM HQ. There are so many around here, they are like flies on poop. Saw a C-5 Vette and CTS-V go at it, Vette won. Although it was entertaining to watch. Couldn't do more than that in my Disco, too slow.:p

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

Audihead
April 4th, 2004, 23:36
Just picked up the brochure on the new CTS-V. Comming in the fall they will add some fimilar items as options like the RS6. Split spoke rims, Corsa sound enhancing exaust, Carbon fiber pieces for some under hood applications, and cross drilled rotors. Sound similar to anyone. Cadillac seems to be getting good at the game.:thumb:

UrQ
April 4th, 2004, 23:43
Price increase ? Interior was a liitle to plush for me.

StoneIslandS4
April 5th, 2004, 13:55
cts-v???????????????:vhmmm:

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 15:59
Originally posted by UrQ
Price increase ? Interior was a liitle to plush for me.

No word on the price for the options as they will be available in the fall as an '05 model. Yes it's a little soft, it's a Caddy after all, but very comfortable though. There is only one option for the car right now, that takes the price to I believe $51,195.00. That option is a sunroof.

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 16:03
Originally posted by StoneIslandS4
cts-v???????????????:vhmmm:

It's a Cadillac CTS with a 400 HP LS6 Vette motor, 6-Speed manual, and German tuned suspension. Pretty cool. :cool2:

StoneIslandS4
April 5th, 2004, 16:13
Us brits dont know much about US motors!!:confused:
Other than they dont like the twisties:D

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 18:21
CTS-V Pic 1

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 18:22
CTS-V Pic 2

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 18:23
CTS-V Pic 3

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 18:26
CTS-V Pic 4 Hope these help.

JAXRS6
April 5th, 2004, 18:45
Originally posted by StoneIslandS4
Us brits dont know much about US motors!!:confused:
Other than they dont like the twisties:D

Yoy might be surprised at this particular "US motor." I drove one briefly & it seemed to handle very well. Also keep in mind that in racing form it beat the RS6 at Sebring. Although there's recently been news that Caddy will have to scale down its specs, the suspension will be pretty much left alone if I recall correctly -- which is to say, left to perform very well.

At the same time I'd be the first to acknowledge that in years past, US cars generally have not handled well. But that appears to be changing -- not just with the Caddy CTS-V but also a new Chrysler 300M Hemi that is just now arriving & will be available with AWD in the fall. Both have RWD for now, which of course is an mprovement over FWD for handling. FWD appears to be on the way out in Detroit. Should be interesting, too, cuz although RWD offers advantages in dry weather handling, and ESP can help in the wet, RWD even with ESP may not measure up to FWD in the snow. At least it didn't with a physician acquaintance who bought a BMW 5 series and loved it...except in the snow.

Bauer
April 5th, 2004, 18:54
I for one actually think the new 300 Hemi looks pretty darn good for an american car. Saw one for the first time in Carmel this weekend. It would appear the US auto makers are trying to get their act together. It is only about time....although I still prefer my RS6 to anything comparable to it.:rs6kiss:

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 19:50
300C Pic 1

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 19:51
300C Pic 2

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 19:51
300C Pic 3

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 19:52
300C Last Pic

Aronis
April 5th, 2004, 20:01
WOW

A HEMI ENGINE.....

how (&)&*() Retro....

Hemispherical Combustion Chamber, two valves per cylinder....

A hemi is so dated it isn't funny....

LOL....

give me a 5 valve per cylinder high tech engine any day....higher specific output, better gas milage....

LOL

Bauer
April 5th, 2004, 20:07
A hemi is so dated it isn't funny....

LOL....

Appearently it is....I laughed when I read this.:D :D

and yes

give me a 5 valve per cylinder high tech engine any day....higher specific output, better gas milage....

:rs6kiss:

nyrs6
April 5th, 2004, 20:38
you cannot compare the the hemi with the rs6 i dont know what you are thinking the CTS-V you can compare but not the Chrysler

and btw its a mercedes anyway

Aronis
April 5th, 2004, 21:21
Simply because MB bought Chrysler does not make the 300C a MB.

Now if the 300C had the ML 55 V8, then you could say that. It's A HEMI for godsake. 1950 technology. Hell why bother with fuel injection and put a four barrel carb on it!...

:)

Mike

Audihead
April 5th, 2004, 22:22
Maybe they could put it in NASCAR.:hihi:

Benman
April 6th, 2004, 04:36
Originally posted by Aronis
Simply because MB bought Chrysler does not make the 300C a MB.
Mike
It is much more than MB buying Chrysler. It is built on the SAME platform. It has the SAME suspension. It has the SAME transmission. It has the SAME steering rack and column. And it has HUNDREDS of the SAME parts as the E class. What nyrs6 says is NOT just because the company was bought by MB. This car OWES its very existense to MB!
Ben:addict:

rs6w
April 6th, 2004, 06:20
Isn't the CTS an opel with a cadilliac name plate on it so it's german by design anyway...

StoneIslandS4
April 6th, 2004, 08:29
That looks quality.Love that big "Escalade..esque" front end!!!!!!:heart:
Sometimes i miss that we dont get "the better" US models released in the UK.Maybe we fear change or something:hihi:

Aronis
April 6th, 2004, 13:34
Cross over parts....

Perhaps the new 300 C shares some parts with MB's cars, much like the VW's share parts with Audi's, be it older parts, that still does not impart on a Chrysler the quality of a Mercedes.

Only time will tell, lets see if the 300C will go 200,000 miles without falling apart!

So, the CTS is an Opel? Another fine car LOL....

Perhaps Ford can buy Renault and use Renault parts and tech in the next Mustang LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

Mike

Audihead
April 6th, 2004, 16:45
Cross over parts....

Perhaps the new 300 C shares some parts with MB's cars, much like the VW's share parts with Audi's, be it older parts, that still does not impart on a Chrysler the quality of a Mercedes.

Only time will tell, lets see if the 300C will go 200,000 miles without falling apart!

So, the CTS is an Opel? Another fine car LOL....

Perhaps Ford can buy Renault and use Renault parts and tech in the next Mustang LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

Mike

The Cadillac Catera was a rebaged Opel even though they said it wasn't. The only thing the early CTS had in common with the Opel was its drivetrain. This CTS-V and the CTS 3.6 V-6 have nothing to do with Opel anymore.

Aronis
April 7th, 2004, 20:17
Just reading the article in Car and Driver on 300c,

Oh For Christ's Sake,

Iron Block, push rods, Hemi, 2 valves per cylinder,

Blistering 60 hp per liter...

Ya, that sounds like a MB protect...

Ya RIght..

Mike

Benman
April 9th, 2004, 01:45

Oh For Christ's Sake,
Ya, that sounds like a MB protect...

Ya RIght..

Mike
About the only thing they DIDN'T use:hihi: And would have been better off using that from MB as well.

DoctorV8
April 23rd, 2004, 21:49
Had to register on this forum just to respond to this:

Oh For Christ's Sake,

Blistering 60 hp per liter...

I always laugh when I hear people equate multivalve technology and higher specific output with better mileage. Did you know the 300C gets 25 mpg on the highway?

That's WAY better than either my M5 (21 mpg) or an RS6 (22 mpg)...even better that the far less powerful A6 2.7TT. It incorporates displacement on demand, as well as a tall 5th gear to take advantage of the big "antiquated" motor's 390 ft-lbs of torque. Which, BTW, is within spitting distance (25 ft-lbs) of the RS6's peak torque, without resorting to the complexity of unnatural aspiration!

Now, I'm not suggesting that the 300C is comparable to an RS6, but give credit where it is due...this is a two ton luxury car with a 120" wheelbase that runs between 14.2 and 13.9s at 100+ mph in the quarter mile, and gets 25 mpg on the highway!

The C5 Corvette Z06 illustrates the same rule: acceleration virtually equivalent to a 996 TT or F360, and near 30 mpg on the highway, from a pushrod motor. And it pulls strongly to 6500 rpm.

Show me a "high tech" gasoline motored car that can do that.

We won't even get into how much more physically compact and mechanically simpler the Hemi and LS1 5.7 L motors are, and how much cheaper they are to manufacture and maintain. Hp/per liter may matter in F1 racing, but in the real world, it's a meaningless statistic.

Who cares if your motor is smaller, when the only "benefit" to a smaller motor is better fuel economy...and my big 5.7 beats you there? And it's physically smaller to boot!

I love the free revving DOHC motors in my cars, esp the 7500 rpm 660 HP ZR-1, but don't reflexively bash pushrods. Go drive a 300C or Z06, and then we'll talk.

Erik
April 23rd, 2004, 21:57
Dr V8....please tell me more about your Lingenfelter... :0:

DoctorV8
April 23rd, 2004, 22:17
Erik,

It is a 6.8L stroker motor. Based on a stock 375 HP 5.7 DOHC Lotus motor, bored and stroked to 6.8L, and with the aid of LPE's excellent port work and a 12:1 CR, 4 high lift cams, bigger valves, and a custom plenum, it made 660 hp with open pipes on the engine dyno, and with "quiet" dual 3" street exhaust, makes 550 rwhp, no power adders.

It's a tribute to the efficiency of the 4 valve combustion chamber that a 12:1 motor lives happily on pump gas. The car is a bit more powerful than the one that won Car and Driver's 0-150-0 competition in 1998 with a time of 23.3 seconds.

http://www.alteredrealms.com/hotcars/c_lingzr1.html

Mine runs the quarter mile in the low-mid elevens on street tires, but the 130+ mph trap speed in the 1/4 really shows the top end potential. I run the stock 3.45 gears, so it will hit 60 in first gear, 95 in second. And at 90 mph, it turns 2000 rpm and gives 20 mpg.

We added coilovers, Wilwood brakes, etc... More details on the build can be seen here:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/doctorv8

Thanks,

Sanjay

Klint
April 23rd, 2004, 22:22
Hey Sanjay,

A very informative post indeed!

I love the colour combo of your M5, le mans blue or caramel interior (?), looks sensational.

Didn't you also put a Corvette motor into a coffee table?

DoctorV8
April 23rd, 2004, 22:26
Hey Sanjay,

A very informative post indeed!

I love the colour combo of your M5, le mans blue or caramel interior (?), looks sensational.

Didn't you also put a Corvette motor into a coffee table?

Thanks, man. Yes, the stock motor from my ZR-1 is in my living room. See my homepage for pics.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/doctorv8/lt5_table_and_plasma_7-2003.jpg

Klint
April 23rd, 2004, 22:58
It amazes me each time I see that coffee table, unfortunately i'm not too aroused by the Corvette engine as I am by some other automotive rarities, but the fact that your spouse and commitment to your interest has led to it actually happening is astonishing.

It's extremely rare to see anyone be soo fanatical (or have the resources) about their interest to go so far as having their coffee table modelled around it.

Impressive!! :D

Great work, Sanjay!

P.S Welcome aboard.

JAXRS6
April 24th, 2004, 08:56
Originally posted by DoctorV8
I'm not suggesting that the 300C is comparable to an RS6, but give credit where it is due...this is a two ton luxury car with a 120" wheelbase that runs between 14.2 and 13.9s at 100+ mph in the quarter mile, and gets 25 mpg on the highway!

I'm with you on this. To me, it doesn't matter how the mfr gets there; what matters is performance, with a strong preference for reliability. And when fast can be combined with economical, all the better -- especially considering the price of fuel these days. Not to mention that the 300C, in photos at least, looks good inside & out -- and costs less than half the price of an RS6.

Don't misunderstand; now that my RS6 is running good I love it. And the exclusivity is nice. But for me at least, exclusivity is worth maybe ten grand, not forty-five.

I didn't buy my RS6 because it's made in Germany, or has twin turbo, or is exclusive. I bought it because it's a great looking barn-burner with room & AWD -- and if someone else comes along with something comparable for a lot less dough, I'm interested.

Audi has done a great job with build quality & styling, and those have been problematical in US products for many years. However, the quality is much improved on the GTO and CTS-V I drove recently, and the GTO interior is flat-out beautiful. But I don't like the CTS-V interior styling or the exterior styling of either.

Chrysler seems to have gotten the styling right in the 300, at least judging by the photos. If build quality is improved, too, look for an impact on US Audi sales once it becomes available with AWD in the fall -- assuming it doesn't lose too much zip in AWD form, which remains to be seen.

Aronis
April 24th, 2004, 22:22
Originally posted by DoctorV8
Had to register on this forum just to respond to this:

I always laugh when I hear people equate multivalve technology and higher specific output with better mileage. Did you know the 300C gets 25 mpg on the highway?

That's WAY better than either my M5 (21 mpg) or an RS6 (22 mpg)...even better that the far less powerful A6 2.7TT. It incorporates displacement on demand, as well as a tall 5th gear to take advantage of the big "antiquated" motor's 390 ft-lbs of torque. Which, BTW, is within spitting distance (25 ft-lbs) of the RS6's peak torque, without resorting to the complexity of unnatural aspiration!

Now, I'm not suggesting that the 300C is comparable to an RS6, but give credit where it is due...this is a two ton luxury car with a 120" wheelbase that runs between 14.2 and 13.9s at 100+ mph in the quarter mile, and gets 25 mpg on the highway!

The C5 Corvette Z06 illustrates the same rule: acceleration virtually equivalent to a 996 TT or F360, and near 30 mpg on the highway, from a pushrod motor. And it pulls strongly to 6500 rpm.

Show me a "high tech" gasoline motored car that can do that.

We won't even get into how much more physically compact and mechanically simpler the Hemi and LS1 5.7 L motors are, and how much cheaper they are to manufacture and maintain. Hp/per liter may matter in F1 racing, but in the real world, it's a meaningless statistic.

Who cares if your motor is smaller, when the only "benefit" to a smaller motor is better fuel economy...and my big 5.7 beats you there? And it's physically smaller to boot!

I love the free revving DOHC motors in my cars, esp the 7500 rpm 660 HP ZR-1, but don't reflexively bash pushrods. Go drive a 300C or Z06, and then we'll talk.

I hear you...did anyone say VIPER....big displacement, big power, but low tech!

Mike

Aronis
April 24th, 2004, 22:26
DoctorV8,

Your speakers are too close together.

Just Kidding...

Nice end table...

Mike

DoctorV8
April 26th, 2004, 18:11
Originally posted by Klint
It amazes me each time I see that coffee table, unfortunately i'm not too aroused by the Corvette engine as I am by some other automotive rarities

Thanks Klint,

Don't know how much you know about the Corvette ZR-1 engine, designed by Lotus, built by Mercury Marine, but this DOHC jewel is unlike any Vette mill before or since. It was truly way ahead of its time.

Check out www.zr1.net for more details, and you may understand why it's in my living room.

Sanjay

DoctorV8
April 26th, 2004, 18:19
I hear you...did anyone say VIPER....big displacement, big power, but low tech!

Mike

And crude. Very much unlike the refined Vette.

Sanjay

DoctorV8
April 26th, 2004, 18:26
DoctorV8,

Your speakers are too close together.

Just Kidding...

Nice end table...

Mike

Yeah, I know....stupid oddly shaped rooms.... :D

McP
May 27th, 2004, 17:40
a faster CTS (Super V) is comming: 600bhp!:

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=09818491

Audihead
May 27th, 2004, 19:40
Can't wait, if it is true i'll see it on the roads of Detroit in camo soon. There are so many CTS-V's on the road right now they are like flies on s**t around here.

:s4addict:-Bimmerhead

Aronis
May 27th, 2004, 22:14
Originally posted by McP
a faster CTS (Super V) is comming: 600bhp!:

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=09818491

It should be very interesting to see how that heavily tweeked engine holds up...

Mike