PDA

View Full Version : Navigation

smehairbi
March 19th, 2004, 16:15
hi guys
i got my Rs6 without a navigation system .... and i want to put one on it .... can you guys help me .... i would like to know its price.:addict:

Nordschleife
March 19th, 2004, 16:26
Hi
First question - are there navigation disks which work with the Audi Navigation system for your country, or do you need a third party nav system?

R+C

Erik
March 19th, 2004, 16:33
I used the DVD CyberNavi system. Works great, with touch screen etc.!

Klint
March 19th, 2004, 17:27
Might aswell go aftermarket and fit a "slave unit" touch screen up front where the factory unit would go and have the guts of the system, like the dvd drive in built into the boot.

I would go full out and replace the whole audio system, like installing Alpine AMPs, subs, Front and rear speakers etc but that's me. The F#1 range of Alpine looks interesting but the MBquartz speakers are supposed to be quite decent too...so many to choose from.

I reccommend Alpine (http://www.alpine-europe.com) :thumb:

grizzly
March 19th, 2004, 22:41
Installing the original Audi Navi+ is very simpel.
Ive done this a lot of times.

Question is, is there a navigation Software for your country.
Im not shure...

Do you know?

smehairbi
March 20th, 2004, 06:32
i dont have the navigation screen or the cd box in the trunk.... but i have the antenna and the place for it in the trunk... and i want to install one now... so i wanted to know the price of the screen and its player .... so i want suggestions from you guys and links if you can provide me and prices too.... and yeah the A8 navigation cd works in the UAE
:addict:

Nordschleife
March 20th, 2004, 10:50
Originally posted by smehairbi
i dont have the navigation screen or the cd box in the trunk.... but i have the antenna and the place for it in the trunk... and i want to install one now... so i wanted to know the price of the screen and its player .... so i want suggestions from you guys and links if you can provide me and prices too.... and yeah the A8 navigation cd works in the UAE
:addict:

The navigation system in the new A8 uses different discs than the factory system in thre RS6. The navigation system in the old A8 uses the same system.

You will find instructions for what you need to do at this web site:

http://www.tvwiz.net/navigation/

You can buy navigation Plus systems easily on German EBay.

HTH
R+C

grizzly
March 20th, 2004, 11:54
oki,
so i think, the old Audi Navigation Plus, which is delivered with RS6 will not fit in UAE, cause there are no CDs for it.
But if your shure there are DVD discs for the new A8.
Than the new Audi Navi+ DVD will work for you.

Installing is quite simple.
1. You need a GPS Antenne (we call it a Triplex Antenna) for Radio, GSM and GPS. costs about 150Euros
2. You need the new Audi Navi+ DVD. about 2500 Euros
3. a DVD for your country about 300 Euros

you get all from this stuff for about 1/2 of this prices via www.ebay.de.

than about 200 Euros for new cabling, cause the new Navi has different plugs. but is all applicable.
And a guy who knows the cabling. Work is some hours cause it is to change a lot.
Ive done this change 1time. no Problem.

smehairbi
March 21st, 2004, 04:42
[QUOTE]Originally posted by grizzly
[B]oki,

Installing is quite simple.
1. You need a GPS Antenne (we call it a Triplex Antenna) for Radio, GSM and GPS. costs about 150Euros

is it the black antenna on top of the car..... by the way when i called my dealer he said i should change also the back mirror cause their are antenna wires in it ..... is this right ?

Nordschleife
March 21st, 2004, 08:08
The external aerial is for the telephone.

The aerials are in the rear windows - back and side windows.

I would be very careful about trying to make the new A8 DVD based Navigation Sysytem work in the RS6. Unless you know somebody who has done this, don't try.

If you can make the standard Navigation Plus system work in thre UAE, then this is the best approach.

Otherwise, I would suggest the Alpine DVD based system, which I havew used and found to be excellent.

R+C

grizzly
March 21st, 2004, 08:41
For the new DVD Navi+ there is more mechanical work (Front).
and some more changes in plugs.
but it should work.

I think, there is no Nav Data for the old Navi+ with Teleatlas MAP Data.
but you can check this at the Teleatlas Website Support.

Nordschleife
March 21st, 2004, 09:14
Grizzly

But can you interface the new A8 Navigation system to the RS6 CAN bus?

Can anybody demonstrate that they have installed the A8 DVD system in an RS6?

It way be better to fit the Alpine DVD system and not try to interface to the CAN bus.

R+C

grizzly
March 21st, 2004, 09:21
oki,
maybe, we speak different.
I dont mean the A8 Navi.
I speak about the New Audi Navi+ DVD from Aisin.
It is delivered since 3/04 in all models also the A4 B6 and the RS6.

Look at the Audi Website Konfigurator.

The A8 Navi is not in Double DIN Format this is not applicable to a different Modell then the A8.

And there is also a difference to the Navigation from the New A6.

Nordschleife
March 21st, 2004, 10:03
Grizzly

Yes, the new DVD system now fitted to the RS6, should be reasonably easy to instal. That would be best, if there is a DVD for UAE.

R+C

Erik
March 21st, 2004, 10:08
Try this link for Pioneer in your area:

http://www.pioneer-uae.com/

http://www.pioneer-uae.com/products3.htm

DVD Navi
http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=7308&taxonomy_id=25-112

audirs6sport
March 28th, 2004, 07:26
hmm. im kinda lost. are u guys talking about the new 2004 audi a8l dvd based navigation system being installed in the 2003 audi rs6? or aftermarket dvd system being installed?

grizzly
March 28th, 2004, 10:16
@audirs6sport:
yes im talking about the new Audi original Navi+, MMI Based ;
Manufacturer is Aisin.

Nordschleife
March 28th, 2004, 10:24
Originally posted by audirs6sport
hmm. im kinda lost. are u guys talking about the new 2004 audi a8l dvd based navigation system being installed in the 2003 audi rs6? or aftermarket dvd system being installed?

There is a new DVD based Navigation Plus system being fitted by Audi into the latest RS6s

R+C

steve
March 28th, 2004, 11:01
indeed, here's a pic of it.

http://www.excellentcarrent.com/upload/A6AVANTQU2004ZZZINT.NAVPLLEDER1.JPG

DAB01
April 1st, 2004, 18:23
Is there any way for those of us in America to order this part fromEurope and have it installed and function properly over here? I would assume that the discs for either the current or previous A8 system should be available. My car has the factory navigation system, but perhaps it is wishful thinking to hope that this might facilitate matters. I traded a Cayenne TT when I got my RS 6 and the navigation system is about the only thing I will miss. I really like the integrated look of the unit in Steves' post and would like to stay away from an aftermarket approach. So my question is this: Is this a reasonably "do-able" project?

Many Thanks,

DAB.

Erik
April 1st, 2004, 18:28
I've seen pictures of the widescreen Navi on japanese Rs6s as well.

Did a search for you on the forum, but all the old pics are gone.

grizzly
April 1st, 2004, 23:32
ok guys, i think installing is really easy, but to get the perfect "original" look, you have to change the Plastic around (how is it called) also.
It is different shape to the one without Navi.
if you have radio Symphonie the one with CD Changer it should only be the Frontblades.

Electrical it shouldnt be a great Problem.
there shouldnt be a large difference in wiring between German and US Models.

Whether the FIS Display in the gauges works is a bit tricky. I installed a Navi in a S4 B5 US Modell and the Software of Instrument Cluster didnt show any.
Audi guys left this part of SW/FW in US Models. Maybe the same with US RS6.

The part you should check first whether there is Navigation Data for this Navi available.
The new DVD Navi works with Navtech Data not like the old ones with Teleatlas (which is a Bosch/BP Daughter).
Maybe the Data from new A8 will fit but im not shure.

GoFastKindaGuy
April 1st, 2004, 23:44
I use a Navman iCN 630 stuck to the windshield with a nice mount and plugged into the cigarette lighter. (I run a cord from the back seat lighter outlet to keep the front one closed. The unit can be moved car-to-car -- even into rentals when I away. I think it is a nice package, even though not integrated. It loads from CDs via my lap top computer. I have an additional 125M memory card installed to cover the states I travel most.

:incar:

GTi 1.8Turbo
April 3rd, 2004, 07:57
Salam!

In 2002+, Audi starts to use Symphony II in the A6... So, i assume that your car comes with 6-Indash CD changer and a tape... In this case, all what you have to do is to run three extra wires... Two to the headlight swtich (illumination+switch 12V)... The thrid wire should goes to the back of the cluster or the ABS circuit... You need a GPS antenna... Audi CD changer is optional but i think you need one to hear your music ( your car should be pre-wired for the CD changer in the trunk)...

About the maps... If you mean the NEW A8 maps (DVD), they will not work... Does any of these cars have a "working" nav in the UAE? (Mercedes-Benz, Audi, or VW)?? You can use any of these CDs (most likely, Mercedes-Benz or Touareg have a working Nav in UAE) with few modifications (or even without any modifications)...

I'm not sure if you can find this, but try to find a junk yard with A6 with Nav+... If you can't, let me know!

If you need any more help, just email me... :)
gti18turbo@yahoo.com

DAB01
April 5th, 2004, 18:06
Hello Grizzly,
Many thanks for all of your helpful information. I have been tracking several units on German Ebay and, once I ascertain that I will be able to find the correct discs, I will give it a try. If anyone is interested, I will share whatever comes of this. Thanks again.

Regards,

DAB.

grizzly
April 5th, 2004, 21:08
:-)

give us feedback please...