PDA

View Full Version : Sebring Speed GT morning practice results: Pobst quickest, Galati 3rd!

ZCD2.7T
March 17th, 2004, 17:25
Looks like a promising start, even though it's only the first practice session:

http://leaderboard.vfx.com/SCCA/GT/LiveTiming_800.asp

(Link may not work later when afternoon practice starts)

:race: :thumb:

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 17:55
Thanks!
But is there a link so I know what car they drive...?

Like how did the Volvo S60Rs perform?

http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/entrylist-gt.html

http://www.world-challenge.com/
http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/NewsEvents/News/

Nordschleife
March 17th, 2004, 18:01
Volvo - No sho

they lost the keys and can't get any new ones until Lime Rock, I think they caught some nasty disease from Jaguar

R+C

ZCD2.7T
March 17th, 2004, 20:48
Originally posted by Erik
Thanks!
But is there a link so I know what car they drive...?

Like how did the Volvo S60Rs perform?

http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/entrylist-gt.html

http://www.world-challenge.com/
http://www.volvocars.us/_Tier2/NewsEvents/News/

Point taken.

Actually, I thought most on this board (It IS "RS6.com", after all) would know that Pobst and Galati drive the Champion Racing RS 6s. Nonetheless, I guess I could have taken the time to link the other info. Thanks for doing this for me! :thumb:

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 21:13
I know Pobst and Galati, kind of learnt that in 2003. :D

But I was looking for the Volvo drivers. Kept looking and looking.

No wonder I couldn't find them ;)

Benman
March 18th, 2004, 01:36
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Volvo - No sho

they lost the keys and can't get any new ones until Lime Rock, I think they caught some nasty disease from Jaguar

R+C
:D Maybe they figured out that they can't compete and this way now have an excuse for why they can't win the championship!

Ben:addict: :race:

ZCD2.7T
March 18th, 2004, 15:23
So, the CTS-Vs are quick, indeed. Qualifying is today, so those results will be VERY interesting.

Read all about it at:

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/04press49.html

:race:

JAXRS6
March 19th, 2004, 00:32
Unfortunately, the day did not end as well as it began for Audiphiles:

http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events/seb/gt-qual.html

Just hope it goes better Friday afternoon, when I'll be joining other speed freaks at the Audi Corral (Saturday too). About 80 Audis, their owners & guests are expected at the end of turn 17, including 2 or 3 RS6s.

Benman
March 19th, 2004, 02:04
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Unfortunately, the day did not end as well as it began for Audiphiles:

3rd & 9th aren't exactly stunning but still promising. Looks like Caddy has got their stuff together. One thing though, i noticed that the field has grown alot @ 30%!!! Last year there was @ 22 cars starting each race, now up to over 30!!! More competition, more excitment!:race:

Ben:addict:

oswald
March 19th, 2004, 04:32
DAMN! I'm starting to like the CTS-V even more. ;-)

ZCD2.7T
March 19th, 2004, 13:05
Originally posted by JAXRS6
Just hope it goes better Friday afternoon, when I'll be joining other speed freaks at the Audi Corral (Saturday too). About 80 Audis, their owners & guests are expected at the end of turn 17, including 2 or 3 RS6s.

Oooooh - I'm JEALOUS! This is FUN racing to watch live - enjoy it! Personally, I've had the Road America date on my calendar since it was announced in December. Only problem is, I hafta wait until August! :(

iconcls
March 19th, 2004, 20:21
Originally posted by ZCD2.7T
Personally, I've had the Road America date on my calendar since it was announced in December. :(

Not TOO dorky!

;)

ZCD2.7T
March 19th, 2004, 20:31
Originally posted by iconcls
Not TOO dorky!

;)

Pshaw - and you call yourself an ENTHUSIAST!?!?!?! :doh:

Dorky??? I prefer to think of myself as good at planning ahead! :hahahehe:

Benman
March 21st, 2004, 19:06
WOW. After actually watching the race (on Speed Channel) instead of just going by the stats you can see that Cadillac COMPLETELY dominated the event. At one point Pilgram (who started DEAD last) was running 3-4 seconds PER lap FASTER than any one else!!!!:bigeyes: :bigeyes: . It shows that Caddy was sandbagging to say the least!

It is as if this is Cadillac's way of getting revenge for the THRASHING they got from Audi in the Le Mans. It seems to be indeed pay back time!

Ben:addict: :addict:

Bauer
March 21st, 2004, 22:51
Read on Audiworld that the Caddy is not really set up the way it is supposed to be.....do not know if true or not here is the link

http://www.audiworld.com/forum/a6.html

Don't really care about the tranny....but engine placement would be huge compared to a stock set up for balance.

I do think that GM has learned a lot from their Le Mans Corvettes and probably applied that knowladge with the caddy team and it shows.

Nordschleife
March 22nd, 2004, 09:15
Guys

I don't think it really matters too much - its a Hollywood series.

The good guy wins in the end and gets the gal.

Seriously, its a race series that looks to be cheap to run in, on paper. In reality, the teams have turned into stalking horses for the factory marketing departments, the costs have ballooned and many of the shoes are expensive pros - like Andy Pilgrim.

The series suffers from delusions of grandeur http://www.world-challenge.com/ its all about getting an amazing mixture of cars running in company in front of a large audience and making it look exciting and entertaining. To do this the officials fiddle with the specifications of each car until they are all approximately as fast as each other. There is no reward for innovation - do something clever and go faster - you will be penalised.

Its the same for those hot-shoes pedalling the cars, drive well and you get lead added, take a pull and you're on the Atkins Diet!

Champion could have built a couple of real monsters, but there was no point they would have been strangled by their restrictors back to about 550 bhp.

So, to really enjoy this "World Challenge", all we have to do is figure out who the hero is and wait for the drama to unfold over the next few months.

R+C

Finnus
March 22nd, 2004, 12:35
Champion could have built a couple of real monsters, but there was no point they would have been strangled by their restrictors back to about 550 bhp.

I always wondered why they limited the Champion Beasts to about 475 hp when the car is so "tunable". Even so, didn't they have some new restrictions placed on their RS6 this year?

Finnus
:addict:

Nordschleife
March 22nd, 2004, 12:49
Originally posted by Finnus
I always wondered why they limited the Champion Beasts to about 475 hp when the car is so "tunable". Even so, didn't they have some new restrictions placed on their RS6 this year?

Finnus
:addict:

Yes, this season they traded some boost for fatter tyres so they can go faster around the corners rather than just sprinting between them.

R+C

Benman
March 22nd, 2004, 14:40
Guys

I don't think it really matters too much - its a Hollywood series.

The good guy wins in the end and gets the gal.

Seriously, its a race series that looks to be cheap to run in, on paper. In reality, the teams have turned into stalking horses for the factory marketing departments, the costs have ballooned and many of the shoes are expensive pros - like Andy Pilgrim.

There is no reward for innovation - do something clever and go faster - you will be penalised.

R+C

It is true that they give no rewards to the fastest team (only penalties) however it is "justified" by them to keep costs down. Even though this doesn't work.

It is about making it "look" good. You won't see the first place runner lapping the field like in F1. There if the team (in that case Ferrari) is doing well then it really shows. In world speed challenge the first place team (Cadillac) sand bags the lead to make it look like he not that much quicker even though Pilgram clearly showed otherwise!:cheers:

Audihead
March 22nd, 2004, 22:13
Let's just put it this way, the Caddys smoked the competion. Everyone needs to get their sh*t together to keep up. The CTS-V's will be reigned in somewhat by victory ballast. But man they are fast!

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

Benman
March 23rd, 2004, 01:39
The 75lbs "rewards" weight will do little to slow down the Cadillacs when they're 3-4 seconds quicker then the field.:cheers:
Ben :addict:

Nordschleife
March 23rd, 2004, 07:59
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
Let's just put it this way, the Caddys smoked the competion. Everyone needs to get their sh*t together to keep up. The CTS-V's will be reigned in somewhat by victory ballast. But man they are fast!

Bimmerhead

I think you misunderstand - Cadillac screwed up.

All of the other cars can be made to go a whole lot faster, but that isn't what this series is about - its about looking like racing, all the others have got their shit together and were making it look like racing. Cadillac shows it up as a farce this time.

In future they are going to get their restrictors made smaller, their weight will go up and they will be back in mid-field; it might take one or two more races to find the right level.

Had Cadillac got their shit together, they would have qualified 2 and 4, run a quiet race about 3 and 4 and then maybe just edged ahead to finish 1 and 3. If they kept doing this sort of thing they would take the championship at the end of the season without having had the book thrown at them. Now every time they do well, they will be scrutinised extra hard. To make matters worse, as the pilots get more stick time, they will be going faster anyway.

R+C

Audihead
March 23rd, 2004, 15:17
So let me get this straight, you race to lose. You dump millions in a racing program to look foolish. I don't think so. You win as much as you can. Then overcome anything the competition and whatever the rule book can throw at you. That is racing. Nordo, you might want to rethink what you said, because according to your statement someone like Ferrari should never go out and try to spank the field. This just does not make any sense.:vhmmm:

Benman
March 23rd, 2004, 15:29
So let me get this straight, you race to lose. You dump millions in a racing program to look foolish. I don't think so. You win as much as you can. Then overcome anything the competition and whatever the rule book can throw at you. That is racing. Nordo, you might want to rethink what you said, because according to your statement someone like Ferrari should never go out and try to spank the field. This just does not make any sense.:vhmmm:

Actually what Nordschleife says has a lot of truth to it. Remember, the World Speed Challenge works WAY differrent than the FIA F1 series.:cheers:

Nordschleife
March 23rd, 2004, 16:08

Go and read the the regulations for this series. You cannot compare this series to Formula One, that is real racing.

Its handicap racing, the rules are arranged to ensure that each car has roughly the same performance on track, then as various drivers show themselves to be better or worse than the others, so they have weight added or taken away.

If one model of car is clearly faster than the others, then the series organisers will alter the car's running configuration so that it no longer has an advantage.

If you look at the entrants in this series you will see, for example, that there are Corvettes entered, amongst others. Now Corvettes are fast enough to come 4th overall in the 12 Hour race. Haven't you wondered why they don't do better in this "World Challenge" Series?

To win this Championship, a team has to have a strategy for the whole season, not just the first race.

All of the cars competing could be made to go much much faster than are doing, however, strange as it may seem to you, that is not what it is all about. If you let your ego get out of hand and show just how fast you really can run, then you will have cause to regret it later in the season.

The race is not always to the swiftest.

R+C

Benman
March 23rd, 2004, 16:45
The race is not always to the swiftest.

R+C
In the World Speed Challenge that is SO true.

Audihead
March 23rd, 2004, 18:34
Guys, I understand what you are trying to say. The point is, no matter what the series is, you try to win as much as possible. There are too many varibles to let even one race get away from you, especially in the Speed GT Series. I know the rules of the series, they want to make it as even as possible for everyone. That's when the cream rises to the surface. That's racing in any form. Like many mechanics say, "It's our job to cheat & their job to catch us". Well let's see if Cadillac can do it. One thing is for sure it's going to put butts in the seats, that's what it's all about. With the interest up that keeps racing alive and well. Too bad Champ cars couldn't figure that out on many different levels.

audifan
March 23rd, 2004, 22:35
I think the speed GT series should be re-worked for next year. Let each of the cars be developed to their max performance at all levels. I think this would lead to more race car developement and more exciting racing. Sure one car might take the series one year by a large margin but after a few races teams will gradully prepare their cars to be even with the leaders.
The cadillacs are awsome cars and would flourish in an open series as would the other cars. But for now we can just sit back and watch the caddys win and sandbag for the championship.

Benman
March 24th, 2004, 00:23
Originally posted by audifan
I think the speed GT series should be re-worked for next year. Let each of the cars be developed to their max performance at all levels.
The problem with that is the RS 6s can develop over 600-700 HP.
So then next year all the cars would be bringing MONSTER motors to compete. The costs would spiral out of control and so on.

They (World Speed Challenge) feel it's the way to keep things fair.

Erik
July 31st, 2005, 19:52
To win this Championship, a team has to have a strategy for the whole season, not just the first race.

Seems like their strategy holds

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2005/gt-standings.html

Hot Volvo btw

http://www.speedarena.com/gallery/albums//Sportscar/Speed%20GT/2005/07%20Infineon%20Raceway/016.jpg

Benman
August 1st, 2005, 15:21
Originally posted by Erik
Seems like their strategy holds

http://www.speedvisionwc.com/2005/gt-standings.html

So... after two seasons, Cadillac came away with ONE driver's championship.

After two seasons the RS 6 came away with a Driver's Championship AND a manufature's Championship! And spent LESS!:hahahehe: :harass: :harass: :thumb: :rs6kiss: :addict: