PDA

View Full Version : Car Polish

sturs6
March 17th, 2004, 00:33
Has anyone used or heard of Zaino Bros. (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc)? What are your opinions of it? Is it worth the money? Is it an easy process?
-Stuart
Here is one of the pictures after an application that I found on the website. It is a reflection!!!
:rs6kiss:

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 00:37
Zymol worked for Dave's RS6. :)

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=289&highlight=zymol

Speedracer
March 17th, 2004, 00:48
I've heard great things about Zaino though I haven't used it myself.

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 01:13
wow. what color is the RS6? MIRROR SILVER?

What a great shine..

There is a great tutorial on car care on www.carecareonline.com

http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

I use Zymol Titanium which is listed as an SUV wax, what ever that means, it has extra carnuba and is great for protecting against the crap of winter - sand, salt, and hell we have cow shit on the roads here....

Mike

sprint Blue
March 17th, 2004, 01:41
I have only used Zaino for my RS6. I kept the car garaged initially for 1 month and put 5 coats of zfx and z6. It protects the finish like a bank vault in the Northeastern winters. I've driven my RS6 every day and when I wash it (quite the procedure with lambswool mitt, zaino wash, etc) it outshines and out lusters even the newest of cars. I highly recommend it. Expensive system though.

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 01:48
I thought that you can't really put on "Coats" of wax since each application simply lossens the first and does not add any actuall thickness of the wax?

Can you be more specific?

Mike

this car finish thing is an ongoing learning experience....my prior M3 shined like new after 5 years....zymol only LOL

sprint Blue
March 17th, 2004, 02:33
zaino is not wax. It is a polymer and therefore CAN be applied on top of subsequent coats, unlike wax.

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 02:44
oh, a polymer....

I have read more bad things about polymers than good....

I used one ONCE on my 325is....the bugs get really stuck in the polymer which is harder than a wax and thus harder to remove the bugs...

Are the newer polymers that much better?

I am tempted to try one again (on my wifes car of course or perhaps on my John Deere)....

I am going to research this Zaino...

thanks,

Mike

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 02:47
This is from Carcareonline.....

Their site has a how to section..

"The polymer-based waxes tend to last longer, yet do not seem to give the same depth of shine, as do the Carnauba waxes. As a general rule, depth of shine and longevity are opposite ends of the same scale. Polymer waxes are also usually less sensitive to excess car wash. They do seem to be somewhat more hydroscopic (absorb water and become cloudy) than the organic waxes. If you are using a polymer based wax on a German paint and have hazing or clouding of the wax, about the only thing that will work is to strip the polymer wax and rewax with a Carnauba based wax. German paints hate polymer-based waxes. I have spoken to paint chemists, the Glazurit people, Porsche, BMW and M/B people and to date have not gotten a viable reason for this. I have gotten a lot of mumbling and shuffling of feet, but no hard and fast answers. The American and Japanese paints can tolerate polymer waxes. The German paints just don't seem to react well with most of these products. There are also highly advertised Teflon based products on the market. It is my understanding that it requires a 600 plus degree environment to bond Teflon to your paint. So, unless you are applying it with a flamethrower, you may not be getting all you paid for. (In the same vein, just be glad you are not getting all the government you are paying for). The polymer-based products will also tend to build up with several applications and this buildup may turn off color over time. The solution to this problem is to strip everything off and start again.

"

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 02:49
I think this is the stuff my brother uses on his Cobra....

Interesting...

Zaino Bros'

reading up on it now...

LOL

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 03:02
Zaino Bros' site has some good info...

They do a great job of pitching their own product....

Perhaps I'll give it a try..

Thanks for the info...

JP4
March 17th, 2004, 06:02
Originally posted by sturs6
Has anyone used or heard of Zaino Bros. (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc)? What are your opinions of it? Is it worth the money? Is it an easy process?
-Stuart

1) yes
2) yes
3) good stuff
4) yes
5) yes it's an easy process but initial applications will take a while. Once you're using "the system" it's very easy to maintain.

I have been using Zaino products on my Audi's (2000 A6 4.2 & 2003 RS6) for 4 years and I'm quite happy with the products. I'll continue to use them until I find a good reason to change. As mentioned above, their web site is very helpful. If you have questions that the FAQ's don't answer give them a call. They're very helpful on the phone too.

I use the following Zaino products with great success and satisfaction:

Z-1, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7, Z-9, Z-10, Z-16, Z-18. (see the web site for details)

I especially recommend using a clay bar (Z-18) prior to polishing your car. For those who have never tried it, you'll be quite surprised with the results.

JP4 :rs6kiss:

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 13:03
Clay Bar,

Did you do the entire surface or just areas where it appear to 'need' it?

I have been cautioned about the clay due to the risk of actually scratching the surface if there is any debree under the clay....

I have some surface scratches which I can just barely feel with a finger nail, would the clay help me ease these scratches?

Mike

I wish I had time to spend on the complete system...looks like I will have to do it from 8pm to 8 am some night once my family is asleep....don't want to become a garage lepper....

LOL

JP4
March 17th, 2004, 14:17
Originally posted by Aronis
Clay Bar,

Did you do the entire surface or just areas where it appear to 'need' it?

I have been cautioned about the clay due to the risk of actually scratching the surface if there is any debree under the clay....

I have some surface scratches which I can just barely feel with a finger nail, would the clay help me ease these scratches?

Mike

I wish I had time to spend on the complete system...looks like I will have to do it from 8pm to 8 am some night once my family is asleep....don't want to become a garage lepper....

LOL

Your concerns are justified. If you don't follow the instructions precisely you WILL scratch the surface. :idea: Look at the tips and tricks section and the application instructions at the Zaino site to avoid problems. I too was VERY concerned about scratching the surface the first time I used the clay bar so I only did the hood using the Z-7 mixed 1:12 w/water as a lubricant. Works like a charm. NO scratches. It will even work on the clear bra. :0: So does the polish. Cleans the surface debris slick as a babies butte giving a nice surface to apply the polish too. I would clay the entire car once a year to remove surface grit then polish to your hearts content. The Z-5 is recommended for light surface scratches.

Hope this helps!

JP4

UrQ
March 17th, 2004, 15:02
I also have used Zaino products for years and no problems.

sprint Blue
March 18th, 2004, 01:05
I'll bring my sprint blue RS6 to the next Northeast meet. You guys can be the judge of whether zaino is for you.

bilbozilla
March 18th, 2004, 04:04
How long does it take you to detail your vehicle using Zaino? I know I'd like the results, but I've got a short attention span...

JP4
March 18th, 2004, 06:01
Originally posted by bilbozilla
How long does it take you to detail your vehicle using Zaino? I know I'd like the results, but I've got a short attention span...

Whether it's Zaino or most any other product, if you REALLY want to detail your car and you're doing it yourself, it's going to take the better part of 1 day start to finish.

The first thing I do is clean the engine compartment at a self service car wash using a pressure washer. From here I'm going to refer you to this link at Zaino for detailed instructions "from the horse's mouth"..... Link to Zaino application instructions (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=APPLICATION) :idea:

After you've done the complete process one time you can maintain the finish/look of your labors with minimal effort by using the gloss enhancer (Z-6) after the car wash which takes less than 15 minutes to do on our cars and or put another coat of polish on (Z-2) after the washing or both Z-2 & Z-6(another coat of polish also takes about 15 minutes to apply and another 15 minutes to remove.

Then I sometimes remove the wheels and completely clean them inside and out.

The up side to all this is that the Zaino products go on VERY easy and come off VERY easy with NO powdery residue to deal with. And the appearance and feel of the finish gets better and better with each step.

And there you have it! :0:

Aronis
March 18th, 2004, 16:30
How much to have you detail my car for me, including taking off the wheels and cleaning them?

LOL..

I wax my wheels inside and out before changing the winter or summer tires, that's the best time to give the wheels a good coat of wax in and out. After taking off the summer tires/wheels, I was them and then some quite day during the winter I wax them. Same with the snows, some rainy summer day wax those.

But since the Ziano polymer sounds like it holds up better, I am going to start with the wheels...

Mike

UrQ
March 18th, 2004, 16:49
What kind of wheel wax do you use, I use Wheel Wax and seemd to work fine, 1-2 times a year

Aronis
March 18th, 2004, 17:05
Its interesting that there are specific products for each area of the car.

I am a bit skeptical that there is a real difference between in a wax that is specifically Wheel Wax vs. say Zymol or similar.

Certainly different grades of waxs can have an easily measurable quality of shine and durability.

What is in Wheel Wax that makes it different? Holds up better to heat, brake dust, etc?

JP4
March 19th, 2004, 05:28
How much to have you detail my car for me, including taking off the wheels and cleaning them?

LOL..

Mike

I was going to ask YOU the same thing Mike! :hihi:

Aronis
March 19th, 2004, 22:20
Here's a deal...

I'll take out your Gallbladder for you if you detail my car!

Mike

sturs6
March 19th, 2004, 22:48
Good to see some bargaining happening. Trading one service for another...nice.
-Stuart

Aronis
March 19th, 2004, 22:53
bartering...

the US Tax law requires us to actually pay the taxes on the equivolent service value.

Let's use the NY Medicaid Rate for the tax calculation.

Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy $180.00 including admission, post op care, operation and office followup for 60 days.

Now thats a bargan for the Gov....

Let's see you get your car detailed with the multi step Zaino for $180.00 including rewashes weekly for 60 days.

LOL

Mike

JP4
March 20th, 2004, 00:02
Here's a deal...

Mike

Compelling indeed! :vhmmm: Now.....if I only needed a Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. :hahahehe:

JP4 :D

GoFastKindaGuy
March 20th, 2004, 02:50
I need immunospectroscopy...NOW!:vhmmm:

JP4
March 20th, 2004, 03:52
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
I need immunospectroscopy...NOW!:vhmmm:

You're killin me GoFast! :applause:

And a deposit on a DB9 too boot along with the rest of your substantial stable! U R TRULY da mannn! :bow:

JP4

GoFastKindaGuy
March 20th, 2004, 05:39
Thank yah. Thank yah very much.:alig:

nyrs6
April 9th, 2004, 18:03
Soo nobody answered the ? what wax do you use for the wheels?
How can i get the wheels to look new the same glossy look as new? And i keep on washing the wheels with wheel cleaner but there still is some brake dust that i cant get off what do i do?

Answers would be greatly appriciated

UrQ
April 9th, 2004, 18:41
I use a product called "Wheel Wax" and get it from CLASSIC MOTORING ACCESSORIES. Works very well, use it on all my cars.

I also use thier "big blue" towel (micro fiber), one towel does entire RS6.

nyrs6
April 9th, 2004, 19:06
Originally posted by UrQ
I use a product called "Wheel Wax" and get it from CLASSIC MOTORING ACCESSORIES. Works very well, use it on all my cars.

I also use thier "big blue" towel (micro fiber), one towel does entire RS6.

Cool

do you have a link for that site?

gjg
April 9th, 2004, 19:12
do you have a link for that site?

here ya go

http://www.properautocare.com/

JAXRS6
April 9th, 2004, 19:25
I've had good experience using a high pressure hose on the wheels at those do-it-yourself car washes. Also prevents me from having to kneel or squat to clean the wheels, which is not as easy for me now as it was years ago.

I also have an S4 with O-Z superlegarra wheels, now nearing four years old. Paint has started to come off, and a guy who restores wheels told me it's because I was using the spray-on cleaner available in several different brands. Over time, he said, it will take the paint off.

But the high pressure hoses are just water, with soap added if I choose. Also doesn't seem to matter if wheels are hot; cool wheels are needed for many wheel cleaning products.

I just drive into the bay, use the "soap" setting to clean all four wheels, then pull car forward about two feet to get to the half of the wheels that I couldn't reach the first time & finish up with the"rinse" mode. Seems to work great! Can't say what to use to increase their shine, but the spray keeps them clean without damaging the finish.:D

The high pressure hoses also are effective in getting bugs off the front, side mirrors, etc. without damaging the finish; no scrubbing required.

nyrs6
April 9th, 2004, 19:38
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I've had good experience using a high pressure hose on the wheels at those do-it-yourself car washes. Also prevents me from having to kneel or squat to clean the wheels, which is not as easy for me now as it was years ago.

I also have an S4 with O-Z superlegarra wheels, now nearing four years old. Paint has started to come off, and a guy who restores wheels told me it's because I was using the spray-on cleaner available in several different brands. Over time, he said, it will take the paint off.

But the high pressure hoses are just water, with soap added if I choose. Also doesn't seem to matter if wheels are hot; cool wheels are needed for many wheel cleaning products.

I just drive into the bay, use the "soap" setting to clean all four wheels, then pull car forward about two feet to get to the half of the wheels that I couldn't reach the first time & finish up with the"rinse" mode. Seems to work great! Can't say what to use to increase their shine, but the spray keeps them clean without damaging the finish.:D

The high pressure hoses also are effective in getting bugs off the front, side mirrors, etc. without damaging the finish; no scrubbing required.

are you shure about these chemical wheel cleaners ruin the finish? plus the P21S does not do this according to that site. has anybody tried P21S does it work

and btw those wheels they demonsrate it on is the same wheels as my A6 2.7t

one more thing how do i buff out the scratches on my wheel doesn anybody know?

JAXRS6
April 10th, 2004, 06:01
Originally posted by nyrs6
are you shure about these chemical wheel cleaners ruin the finish?

Not really, but the wheel restorer who told me that had nothing to gain by saying it. In fact he had something to lose -- my business -- because if I followed his suggestion & used high pressure water rather than the commercial spray chemicals, my wheels would not need restoring by him as soon as they would if I kept using the chemical sprays.

I don't know anything about P21S, or even what it is. The spray that the restorer was talking about is commonly available at AutoZone & similar stores; some made by Armor, some by Eagle, maybe some other brands too. In fact I have a new bottle of Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner that I may use OCCASIONALLY when it's inconvenient to visit a car wash bay for the high pressure water. Occasional use obviously is less harmful than constant use, which is what I was doing on my S4's O-Z Superlegarra wheels before I heard the wheel restorer's advice. The O-Zs looked fine until about 2-3 years after such constant use.

RS6FEVR
April 10th, 2004, 19:18
:hihi: all

With regard to PS21, I've been using it on my Fikse's on the Vette for four years now and it's absolutely tops. I started using it on my past MB wheels in the early 90's and it's the best IMHO. The first time I had to clean the nine spoke's on the beast the PS21 continued to be my choice and does an excellent job. I've tried some of the stuff available at the local auto stores, but none of those chemicals can touch the cleaning and gentleness of the 21. I don't like how much it costs (I buy the gallon refill size from autopia and it's like $58.00!) but my experience with the other chemicals is sub par at best. Pretty sure Porsche, MB and BMW all recommend it for their clear coated and painted wheels.
My personal take and have no affiliation or benefit from the manufacturer.
:addict: FEVR :addict: