PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

smehairbi
March 15th, 2004, 13:52
hi... my car has done 12,200 in around 5 months now and the i already changed the brake pads once and their already finished.... i want to change the drum wheels and brake pads and im looking for suggestions on which brakes should i put .... i saw a MOV It add on the home page... what do you guys think of it ?:addict:

sturs6
March 15th, 2004, 14:23
I at the same point and I was wondering if I need to upgrade the whole breaking system (rotors, calipers & pads) or would just upgrading the pads do for none to possible little tracking?
:rs6kiss:

JP4
March 15th, 2004, 14:41
Originally posted by sturs6
I at the same point and I was wondering if I need to upgrade the whole breaking system (rotors, calipers & pads) or would just upgrading the pads do for none to possible little tracking?

IMHO...stick with OEM parts until Audi quits paying for the worn out parts. Unless of course you insist on upgraded performance albeit at a substantial cost.

JP4 :looking:

sturs6
March 15th, 2004, 14:46
Thanks JP that is exactlly what I was thinking about doing at this rate it will not belong before that happens because I have some big trips coming up this summer. :D
-Stuart

JP4
March 15th, 2004, 14:56
Originally posted by sturs6
Thanks JP that is exactlly what I was thinking about doing at this rate it will not belong before that happens because I have some big trips coming up this summer. :D
-Stuart

I hope they all go well for you.

I have four trips planned this year and I'm pretty sure I'll need pads at least after the second trip. Can't wait as I'm sure you can't either.

JP4 :rs6kiss: :incar:

smehairbi
March 15th, 2004, 15:00
hey guys
ive been racing alot by the way .....by pads are done... so anyone of changed his pads lately like to a diffrent kind then the audi's ones?

p.s. what do u think of my rs6 its on the avatar

Benman
March 15th, 2004, 15:07
I'm with JP4. However if you really insist on better brakes (Nordschleife insists that the factory brakes are only good for boat anchors) then try Movits. Not big in the States but big in Europe. The BMW Driving school at the Nurburgring uses them on all of their cars and they are proffesional drivers that race cars on a regular basis.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

nene
March 15th, 2004, 15:39
Your car in the avatar is nice.
If you plan on racing, maybe an upgrade in brake system is in order.

Bauer
March 15th, 2004, 16:19
Pagid makes ugraded pads for the stock RS6 caliper that might help....but the rotors are a different story. I think MTM makes an upgraded rotor that will fit as well. Might be worth a try...and then if that does not work, up grade the whole system. Good luck and keep us posted.:cheers:

eph94
March 15th, 2004, 16:29
Originally posted by Bauer
Pagid makes ugraded pads for the stock RS6 caliper that might help

Have you tried these Pagid pads yet? I went on to their website and I found a local distributor here in Massachusetts. I'm thinking buying some as backups for the track in case I burn through my stock pads prematurely. I would hate to end my day early and even worse would be having no brakes for the ride home.

Bauer
March 15th, 2004, 17:26
Have you tried these Pagid pads yet?

Nope, not yet...next event I am going to is going to be in December so I am holding off untill then. I am going to use a Stasis rotor that they are developing and the Pagid pad. I am going to switch back to the stock set up after the event. See how that works.....if the that does nothing then I may have to upgrade the system. My concern is that just using the Pagid pad that the stock rotors will get totaly chewed up as mine already kind of are with the stock pads.

Also Stasis has a program set up with 10 US Audi dealers that you can buy their break and suspensions set up through the dealers and they will warranty the set up to match the factory warranty. Don't know about included maintence...my feeling is that will be on me.

sturs6
March 15th, 2004, 22:05
Originally posted by:
Bauer
Also Stasis has a program set up with 10 US Audi dealers that you can buy their break and suspensions set up through the dealers and they will warranty the set up to match the factory warranty. Do you have dealer names???:D :D
-Stuart

Bauer
March 15th, 2004, 22:14
No sorry I don't.

Here is the web site for Stasis.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/index.shtml

Their contact info is on it. Good luck

sturs6
March 16th, 2004, 01:02
smehairbi,
That is a good looking car!!! :thumb:
I wish I had the guts to drive a red car. :D

JAXRS6
March 16th, 2004, 03:03
When I mentioned to my FL dealer's performance division that I may attend a driving school at Sebring, they suggested I don't need new rotors but would benefit from stainless steel brake lines (Brembo) plus brake fluid with a higher boiling point. Cost about $500; front pads would add about $500 more if needed. Also was assured, by them as well as dealer in Michigan, that this would have no negative impact on warranty. Got the impression that changing pads on the RS6 is not something you want to try at the track.

I haven't gone for it yet because the April driving school is full & I'm not sure I want to wait til the next one, Porsche club on May 29, before heading north.

smehairbi
March 16th, 2004, 06:44
:rs6kiss: well im looking actually looking for a new system... does anyone know how much the factory system costs for one front wheel in germany.:rs6kiss:

Bauer
March 16th, 2004, 16:02
smehairbi-

If you use the search function on the site you can find previous threads on the subject of break systems. It is a great feature, I use it all the time.

If you are looking to up grade the whole break system Movit is popular and so is Stoptech.

http://www.movit.de/

http://stoptech.com/

You could also try STaSIS.....a little less known but they do great suspension and break work. They have quite a bit of racing experience as they own a two car World Challenge GT team and apperently are working with Champion Racing on the RS6 race cars.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/braking.shtml

Good luck in your search.

Nordschleife
March 16th, 2004, 16:23
Unfortunately, Stoptech do not have any suitable brakes for an RS6.

I have had excellent experience with Mov'it brakes, front and rear on the RS6. These stand up to track days and high speed stops on the Autobahn, I cannot praise them too highly and the company stands by their product, I have had excellent customer service.

At the recent RS Challenge, organised by quattro GmbH and Audi, the cars with Mov'it brakes were clearly superior to the stock brakes.

Let me know if you need help in getting in touch with Mov'it.

R+C

Klint
March 16th, 2004, 16:25
I like AP racing...because they're British! :D

Misano Red is the best colour for the Rs6...it would be my choice for sure. :0:

Bauer
March 16th, 2004, 16:33
Unfortunately, Stoptech do not have any suitable brakes for an RS6

Good to know

7:53 RS6
March 17th, 2004, 00:04
Herd many say that stock brakes are bad on rs6, i have not given my beast some heavy track use yet so i cant relly say anything.
Iam now really intrested to test my rs6 avant(stock qattro GmBh brakes) at Nurburgring the 8april-12april. And of course test it at many more track events in Sweden.

When speeking in genral of bad brakes on rs6 is it ment, bad bite or bad feel, or to often change pads, or crack in disk/pad or fading or disk overheat easy and becomes like an S and wobeling feeling in steeringwhel when braking. Is the brakes just bad becuse it cant handel lap after lap after lap of heavy track use?

8:50 RS4
"learn by doing":race:

Bauer
March 17th, 2004, 00:18
When speeking in genral of bad brakes on rs6 is it ment, bad bite or bad feel, or to often change pads, or crack in disk/pad or fading or disk overheat easy and becomes like an S and wobeling feeling in steeringwhel when braking. Is the brakes just bad becuse it cant handel lap after lap after lap of heavy track use?

The bite and feel to me is good with the stock set up. the problem becomes cracked pads and rotors after several runs on a track. The pads just cannot handle the heat and the rotors do not disapate heat well. There is no venting to the breaks for cool air to help with this problem. The only venting is from the intercoolers into the wheelwell....which is hot air. I have not seen the calipers off the car but appearently Robin has and says the pistons are too small and therefor focus all of the preassure and heat in one small patch.

I would be very interested to hear you thoughts on the matter after your time at the Nurburgring....have fun:cheers:

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 01:28
Whats the cost to swap out the stock brakes for a Mov'it Setup?

Any problem with ABS with Mov'it?

Can it be done at home?

Mike

Nordschleife
March 17th, 2004, 08:36
Originally posted by Aronis
Whats the cost to swap out the stock brakes for a Mov'it Setup?

Any problem with ABS with Mov'it?

Can it be done at home?

Mike

Mike

Mov'it brake upgrades are not cheap, especially given the Euro-Dollar divergence of recent months.

As far as price goes you will have to talk to Streve D'Geralamo from Ultimate Garage.

Generally speaking, upgrading the front brakes is easy and is easily within the reach of a reasonably equipped home garage. However, the rear brakes are somewhat harder, I would not suggest that a non-professional undertook their replacement at home.

Whilst it is feasible not to upgrade the rear brakes, that would be an unfortunate lost opportunity. To explain, let me fill in a little background; for reasons of economy, certainly financial but possibly weight watching as well, Audi has opted to use a rear brake calliper which can also be activated by the handbrake (Emergency brake in US-speak), this removes the need to fit a separate drum brake system for the handbrake, as Porsche does. This dual use causes a number of compromise choices to be made, none of which do anything to improve rear brake performance. In fact the rear brake pads are so hard they do very little work, if you look at the difference between the amount of pad dust on your front and rear wheels after spirited driving, you will see what I mean.

Upgrading the brakes all round transforms braking performance, particularly if you are using 19 inch wheels with sticky rubber. You will see from the dust that the rear brakes are taking their share of the work. The RS6 is particularly suited to this upgrade as the DRC reduces the amount of weight transferred to the front axle, increasing the amount of work which the rear axle brakes can do.

The ABS/EBD system works perfectly with the Mov'it upgrade. quattro GmbH are only too aware just how much better the car performs after the brake upgrade.

Let me know if you want any more information.

R+C

March 17th, 2004, 09:48
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aronis
[B]Whats the cost to swap out the stock brakes for a Mov'it Setup?
In Sweden i reciwed this price Front brakes
380x32 kit with 6m2 piston calipers cost 5250 EUR net
Rear brakes
322x32 kit with 4m2 piston calipers cost 2850 EUR net
350x28 kit with 4m2 piston calipers cost 2850 EUR net
The kit includes:
Rotors with cast holes and ventilation slots, aluminum hats, calipers,
brake pads, brackets, stainless steel lines and more. Sure this is not the last price, if you know what I meen. But still this is much money(for mee anyway). So how bad are relley the stock set up? We who use cars are many times the source to bad brakes, or am i wrong in my humbel wiew.PS not trying to stick my nose to far out(have I alredy done it
:dance: . No experience of rs6 on track,but soon!! Is it a ide to take up a threed of how brakes ar used, anywone?
8:50 RS4:heart:

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 13:00
great info.

What about just changing the Rear System?

I saw the dual setup on Mov'it's site, I figured the second caliper was the parking brake (emergency brake)

So if one just changes the rear system I would pick up the better balanced braking and save 5200 Euros.

Also, what is it about the rear that would require a pro? Do you have to drill a hole somewhere to mount the second capiler?

Mike

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 13:07
Also, what is it about the rear that would require a pro? Do you have to drill a hole somewhere to mount the second capiler?

A local garage fitted my front Movits for about 120 USD.
The rear brakes are more difficult, I heard it is the second caliper and the fact that it doens't exist stock that does it.

I don't think changine rear only would be such a great idea... :nono:

Nordschleife
March 17th, 2004, 13:40
I do not believe that it is a good idea to just upgrade the rear brakes.

The front brakes have a number of fundemental problems:

1. The stock Brembo 8 piston callipers have very small pad contact areas. This leads to overheating under quite moderate braking. In extreme conditions they even catch fire.
2. The design of the floating cqallipers means that it is impossible to channel air into the centre of the brake rotors wso that it can be centrifugally spun out as the disk rotates, cooling the rotor as it does so. You can see these rotors gleaming red hot under quite moderate driving.

If you just upgrade the rear brakes, you will still have problems with overheated front brakes after a very short period of time. The stock rotors do not stand up to even one day's spirited driving.

Not only does an extras mounting for the hand brake calliper have to be fabricated and fitted but separate brake actuation cables have to be led to the appropriate callipers. Inevitably this involves some drilling into suspension members.

R+C

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 14:00
So what does chaning your brakes do to you overall vehicle Warrantee?

Nordschleife
March 17th, 2004, 14:18
It depends on the country you are in and the dealer.

I have sent cars back to the factory (Neckarsulm) to have new turbos and exhaust manifolds fitted under warranty, and also the gearbox replaced in Ingolstadt, there were no problems.

You should discuss this with your brake supplier and with your car dealer.

R+C

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 14:20
So what does chaning your brakes do to you overall vehicle Warrantee?

Nobody ever mentioned the brakes when I was in for service.
Basically you remove something they might had had to replace under warranty. ;)

But they didn't like the chip :vgrumpy:

Benman
March 17th, 2004, 14:31
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Mike

Mov'it brake upgrades are not cheap, especially given the Euro-Dollar divergence of recent months.

Upgrading the brakes all round transforms braking performance, particularly if you are using 19 inch wheels with sticky rubber. You will see from the dust that the rear brakes are taking their share of the work. The RS6 is particularly suited to this upgrade as the DRC reduces the amount of weight transferred to the front axle, increasing the amount of work which the rear axle brakes can do.

The ABS/EBD system works perfectly with the Mov'it upgrade. quattro GmbH are only too aware just how much better the car performs after the brake upgrade.
R+C

Great info Nordschleife. The Mov'its come highly recommended from the guys at the Ring Taxi as well. I experienced their performance first hand at the Nurburgring and can say that i was impressed with their resistance to fade and stopping power!:cheers:
Ben:addict:

March 17th, 2004, 21:14
I orderd Pagid blu in front, Forza said they dont have any for the back yet. Sure it will eat some moore disc.
Fill up whit brake racing oil.

Life is a big compromise if limited funds:cry:

"Learn by doing":race:

Aronis
March 17th, 2004, 21:52
I emailed Ultimate Garage about the RS 6 Mov'it setup.

He said he has only sold the setup for a front! and has yet to sell a rear set..

2700 euros for front setup, rear price pending...

Mike

March 17th, 2004, 22:36
I emailed Ultimate Garage about the RS 6 Mov'it setup.

He said he has only sold the setup for a front! and has yet to sell a rear set..

2700 euros for front setup, rear price pending...

Mike

2700eur is it for this setup?380x32 kit with 6m2 piston calipers

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 22:45
8:50 RS4, send me a pm with the brakes you would like and I'll see if I can arrange a better price through my channels.

Aronis
March 18th, 2004, 00:47
Steve from Ultimate Garage sent the email back, but he was not specific on the size.

He is going to call Germany for pricing on the rears tomorrow and get back to me.

Hopefully he will have full data on sizes etc.

Mike

gnomik007
March 18th, 2004, 17:13
Are we talking 2700 euros fpr front Movits?

Aronis
March 18th, 2004, 17:21
that was the price on the front brake setup only 2700 euro = 3300 usd.

Mike

gnomik007
March 18th, 2004, 18:37
But I thought 8:50 RS4
earlier said they cost just a bit more than 5000 euros.

How come it is now 2700?

Can I get it by this price?:bow:

Aronis
March 18th, 2004, 22:31
This was a quote I got from
Steve D'Gerolamo at Ultimate Garage

"Front kit is 2700 Euros (342x34mm with monoblock calipers).....I haven't sold any rear kits yet...they should be around the same price. Too late to check with Germany today. SD"

I don't know if the price you had was for the entire system, front and rear.

Mike

smehairbi
March 19th, 2004, 15:26
i heard they were around 6000 euros in germany the front brakes..........so i changed my mind on buying them for now .....but if they are really around 2700 euros ill defintly buy them

gnomik007
March 19th, 2004, 16:50
Originally posted by smehairbi
but if they are really around 2700 euros ill defintly buy them

EXACTLY

So if such price exists do tell us

Aronis
March 19th, 2004, 22:15
I wrote to my dealer, he said that Audi will install the brake sytem for the RS6 at regular shop hourly rates, and the new brakes will not have any effect on the warrantee of the rest of the car. Of course they would not warrantee your new brakes LOL.

Contact Ultimate Garage for quote.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/

From Mov'it's site they say that basically the Mov'it setup allows your car to use all Porsche parts, rotors, calipers and pad, that way once the other parts are assembled which come with the kit, you can change the rotors/pads in the future by simply going to a Porsche dealer for the parts. The Mov'it setup contains the specific mounting hardware for your particular car.

Mike

Pelle75
March 22nd, 2004, 07:04
There comes a new 370x35 kit with 6 piston calipers next month the price is much better that the 380x32 kit and the brakes are by far better.

Please email me per@alltombilen.com for a RS6.com price or visit www.movit-scandinavia.com

Best Regards
/Per

Aronis
March 22nd, 2004, 13:19
Oh, that's a better website...
Movit apparently has two websites, the other one is weak at best....

Mike

Erik
March 22nd, 2004, 22:52
I bought my front Movit brakes through Pelle75 and I'm very happy with the service. :thumb:

Fitting was made by a local garage.

Aronis
March 23rd, 2004, 13:19
what can you tell us about the rear brakes assembly?

The rear setup includes a second caliper for the parking/emergency brake. Did this require any special drilling or welding?

Or did you just to the front brakes? This I hear is not a great idea, dispite my belief that it will eliminate the over heating issue by using a fixed rotor instead of floating rotor.

Mike

Nordschleife
March 23rd, 2004, 13:34
Mike

To mount the rear brakes (with the second calliper) does indeed require some some drilling. So this is not something that most DIY mechanics wish to undertake.

Given how important brakes are, and the dangers if they are not fitted properly, it might be regarded as a good idea having a good race or tuning shop carry out the work.

As you say, just upgrading the front brakes is not ideal, however, it is better than the stock system, by far.

The RS6 has more braking potential at the rear axle than most Audis as the forward weight transference is not as great as it is on other Audis.

R+C

Aronis
March 23rd, 2004, 13:38
My dealer said they would be happy to install the brakes for me!

I am considering buying them soon, but so far I have had no problems with my brakes.

I have not really driven the car hard though, due to the perpetual winter here, still snow on the ground, 27 degrees today, dam it's still coooooollllldddd..

Mike