PDA

View Full Version : springs

audirs6sport
March 15th, 2004, 07:47
anyone know which sets of springs are the best way to go? would this have any conflict with the DRC system?:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :rs6kiss:

Erik
March 15th, 2004, 08:35
I know Sportec has a set. Try searching, it was discussed earlier. (in brief)

Nordschleife
March 15th, 2004, 08:51
Springs
If you live in the US, consult Stasis, they will advise the correct Hypercoils. However, the stock shock absorber is not a very good base for building a better handling car without suffering badly on poor roads.

R+C

Finnus
March 15th, 2004, 12:42
the stock shock absorber is not a very good base for building a better handling car without suffering badly on poor roads
Robin,

Can you explain this in more detail and any better options in your opinion? I understand it depends upon what your purpose is ...

Thanks,

Finnus
:addict:

Nordschleife
March 15th, 2004, 13:16
Finnus

As everybody knows the Dynamic Ride Control hydraulicly links the shock absorbers diagonally through a central piston/valve mechanism. This gives great anti-dive performance and improves the car's stopping distances.

Now developing suspension systems which give great control AND comfort is still a black art, given that everybody has their own opinions on what is to harsh, too soft, too barge-like, the list goes on. The ideal is to have a system which is comfortable at low speeds around town and firms up as the speeds rise and the cornering forces increase.

Well this is what Audi has worked quite hard to do. As with many of the black arts, its all too easy to paint oneself into a corner, which is what has happened to Audi with the RS6. So, with the European springs, its too firm at low speed and too soft when being driven hard on twisty roads. I don't know how it works out in the US, as the US spec cars were supplied with softer springs than the German customer's cars.

quattro GmbH do offer some 'Sport' springs, which certainly make the rider firmer, indeed the kit may well have been developed by dentists, so strong a shaking is given to your fillings! The consensus amongst seriously fast drivers ( the ones who win races), is that the performance gains are not justified given the loss of comfort.

Now, its easy to change the springs on the car, and different spring rates used until an optimum is found. The ride height may also be changed this way. However, it is less easy to change the shock absorbers, because of the DRC. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will take more R & D than anybody has been prepared to invest, so far. Maybe its simple, maybe its difficult. If it were simple, I would have expected one of the tuners to have offered something other than just firmer springs.

Were I to be upgrading the suspension, I would change my brakes first, so that we were dealing with the eventual unsprung weight. Selection of anti-roll bars will be part and parcel of adjusting the spring weights and shock absorber characteristics. If making this level of committment, then I would certainly look at using camber plates to help with the turn-in on the car.

I would be very cautious about committing to any change without trying it first. As far as I am aware, for Audis the best people in the US are Stasis. They have just started working with street coilovers based around Ohlin Shock Absorbers, also selected by Audi Sport and Champion Racing on the RS6. In the latter case, Champion have dumped the DRC and fitted Eibach Springs and Ohlin 5-way adjustable shocks. Normal US customers should select Hypercoil springs, given the exchange rate movements. I believe that Hyperco manufactures the Hypercoils to the most stringent standards available, they are popular in Formula 1.

Dynamic Ride Control was originally developed by Yamaha as an ant-dive device for their racing motor bikes. Coincidentally, Ohlin is now a subsidiary of Yamaha.

HTH
R+C

Finnus
March 15th, 2004, 13:24
Thanks!

Benman
March 15th, 2004, 15:01
Thank you for the input. I'm waiting to see how Bauer and others like their sway bars they've ordered. That would be the first thing.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Bauer
March 15th, 2004, 19:23
I can't wait to see the set up Stasis is going to come up with. They have been very impressive on the B4 S4 and B4 in general. Whatever they do produce rest assured it should be of the highest quality.

Ben-

The bars should be here in another 3 to 4 weeks. I hope they help a little with the understeer. We will have to wait and see.

Aronis
March 15th, 2004, 20:06
The newer entry into the Black Art is the electromagnetic shocks used in the Vette and Cady's.

This sytem uses a magnetic field applied to the shocks to change the dampening at a rate thousands of times faster than any mechanical system of valves or cross overs. These system are in their infancy and the first version was already great.

It will not be long before the likes of MB, BMW and Audi start using such technology and WOW suspensions will have a quantum leap...comfort around time and killer sports mode.

Mike

Erik
March 15th, 2004, 20:10
Aronis, I hope to see a similar system in the RS4. (see RSX forum)

Aronis
March 15th, 2004, 20:45
and they just keep getting better LOL..

Mike

Finnus
March 15th, 2004, 20:50
The protype LMQ has the magnetic shocks, although it sounds undecided whether it will make it into prodcution. I would love to see ti in the RS4.

Finnus
:addict:

Benman
March 16th, 2004, 14:54
Originally posted by Bauer
Ben-

The bars should be here in another 3 to 4 weeks. I hope they help a little with the understeer. We will have to wait and see.

Sounds good. Keep us posted!:cheers:
Ben:addict: