PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil

Thilo
March 11th, 2004, 08:17
Hi everybody,

My RS6 is leaking oil since a couple of month. I already brought the car to the garage where they had to remove the WHOLE motor and replaced some parts (i don't know the english words). Now, after 2 days at the dealer, i got my car back and to make sure that the problem is solved, i put some newspaper under the car.
Next morning, same story, leaking oil. The paper was wet.

Does anybody know the problem, or knows what has to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I am really not in the mood to bring the car another time for 3 days to the dealer.

Greetings
Thilo
:vgrumpy:

Klint
March 11th, 2004, 11:11
Thilo,

It could be anything from a loose bolt, a cracked case, or a degraded filter. There are loads of things that can cause the oil to leak.

Has it been determined that it is actually the engine oil that's leaking, not say the gearbox oil?

That's a good idea with the paper. You should do it again and find the area that's leaking under the engine compartment then get the car on the lift and investigate it further with a mechanic.

keep us up to date on what happens. :)

JAXRS6
March 12th, 2004, 06:37
Originally posted by Klint
That's a good idea with the paper.

I agree, and why not take it a step further. Not only make a note of where the oil leaked from the car to the paper, but save enough of the paper to take to dealer & make sure it's motor oil!

RobertV
March 12th, 2004, 14:23
Maybe some oil/fluid is still on the plastic tray under the motor. It may be possible that the tech did not clean the tray very well and the oil is coming from it.
I would sure hope that they cleaned it well, after all they did have the motor out, but you never know.
It might make sense to leave the undertray off of the car and then park it, it would be easier to tell where the leak is coming from then.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your beast!!!

Aronis
March 12th, 2004, 15:57
You will have to remove the undercarrage shrowd so that you can localize the leak.

With that plastic shield on the oil leak could be coming from anywhere and traveling down the path of least resistance to the floor of your garrage.

So, I would remove it (it's a pain) and then put fresh paper down.

I agree with above, some left over from previous service is possible.

Once you have an idea of where it is coming from, put a tray on the floor to actually catch some to see what it is.

It could be Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, or Engine Oil. Once you are sure what fluid it is you are part way to the solution.

Word about Power Steering Fluid....Audi and VW use specific oil called Pentosin. Don't put run of the mill power steering fluid in, it will ruin the seals of your system.

http://www.xkms.org/AutoBarn.com-29/Pentosin-CHF-11S-Hydraulic-Oil-(1-Liter).htm

Good Luck.

Mike

RobertV
March 12th, 2004, 16:12
I had to top off my S6 and was happy to find the Pentosin Mineral based fluid at the local AutoParts store. It was expensive compared to the standard fluid, but I have heard about adding the wrong fluid creating an expensive reapir bill:doh: