PDA

View Full Version : 996tt??not so sure !

madmark
March 3rd, 2004, 23:57
In my quest for a new car i have ruled out the csl completely and am now left with either another rs6 or 996 tt ! Ive driven a few 996 tts and is it just me or dont they seem as quick as the rs6 ?
Also do the brakes feel crap too compared to the rs6 or was this just a bad car ?? Anyone had the pair of them ?? Thanks for your help it has been heeded !!My rs6 will be a hard act to follow !and by the way rs6s blow away the csl m3 big time i can vouch for this !

Bauer
March 4th, 2004, 00:18
Because of the torque curve on the RS6 it may give the impression that the RS6 is faster.

As for the stock RS6 breaks the feel of the pedal is very nice IMO and the stopping power is impressive. However, I have noticed that after some hard use that the stock break pads will get hairline cracks in them from over heating and the rotors are pron to scorching when used heavily. Audi did not vent the breaks well enough IMO and the pad / rotor material is a little to soft.

I do understand why they did this....can't really have true racing break set up on a street car as the breaks would make all sorts of noise and would not work well untill heated up.

If you plan to track your car you may want to consider a rotor/pad upgrade and even look at new front and rear caliper set up. If you are just using it for street use then the stock set up should be fine. If you use the search function on the board you can look up previous discussions on the breaks.

I have done three Audi Club events, I currently have about 12k on the clock and @ 9k I had the pads replaced. I will need new pads and rotors in the next 3k or so. I like to late break at the events so my breaks do get used and I am probably going to get a different set of pads and rotors for those events. If that works out then I will keep the set up, if not I may upgrade...not sure yet.

Anyway, very glad to hear the RS6 is still in the running...and being compared to a 996tt nontheless:thumb:

I also considered the 996tt but thought the RS6 would better suit my needs....I kind of see the RS6 as sort of a 4 door 996tt thats put on a little weight:D :D

Alan
March 4th, 2004, 01:57
and if the 996tt felt slow compared to the RS6 and the brakes on the 996tt felt like crap compared to the RS6, I'd strongly suggest you find a different 996tt to try!
The 996tt 6 speed (I've never driven a 996tt tiptronic) is definitely quicker than the RS6 and no modern Porsche that I've driven has had anything but superlative brakes. The RS6 brakes are "Porsche equivalent", IMO

GoFastKindaGuy
March 4th, 2004, 03:29
In the dry, with nothing particular to haul, and with no one to hide from (ie, cops or gawkers), the 996tt is the pick. It is wickedly fast, handles superbly.

The RS6 is a great car, but different -- for a sedan, it is wickedly fast and handles superbly. And only enthusiasts notice it -- usually with a smile and a thumb up.
With the 996tt, it is just as often a frown and one finger up.

If it snows, the RS6 has higher ground clearance.

If I could have only one car, it would be the RS6 -- based on practicality, not performance.
:rs6kiss:

jimmy94507
March 4th, 2004, 05:15
I can confirm that Bauer is very aggressive on the brakes at the track - late and hard! I had to very aggressive on the brakes to stay with him. I'm at 10K miles, attended 2 track events and my front pads are awaiting replacements. I have had no evidence of rotor warping. The brakes are very impressive for such a heavy car. Pagid developed the OEM pads with Audi and it took several iterations to get them to meet Audi's requirements for performance, yet acceptable for street use. I'm staying tuned in for a pad/rotor combination with better venting which may be more suitable for occassional track use.

I encourage everyone get their RS 6 to an Audi driving event. You will really appreciate your car even more.

Regards, Jim

Klint
March 4th, 2004, 08:18
Why not get a RS6 and a P-car next year?

If I was, the P-car would be the GT3. :D

madmark
March 4th, 2004, 23:26
Thank you for all your help im an indescisive bugger these days !
looks like ill have to keep rs6 as well ! Both 996s ive driven definitely had a spongy feel to the brakes compared to the rs6 , i mean i could feel my right leg filling with blood trying to press it hard !it felt like a nautilus leg machine . Do you feel this to be wrong ? Ive got a feeling the rs6 is very much underated u know !! Your help really is appreciated as my missus thinks ive gone soft in the head !!!!!!!!

Nordschleife
March 5th, 2004, 08:21
Mark
The 996 Turbo brakes are streets ahead of the RS6 brakes. If the ones you have tried are 'spongy' then there is a problem. Probably need new brake fluid and bleeding.
At a recent RS Driving Experience, all the RS6s with stock brakes had to retire early, even the ones driven by the Audi drivers that won Le Mans, the ones with proper brake conversions were able to keep going all day with no fading, no cracking, no pads on fire, no boiled brake fluid.
Brake fluid should be changed regularly, I prefer 6 monthly, but others feel annually is ok. Its very hygroscopic stuff and when its 'wet' it boils easily and feels spongy. Take care not to spill any fluid on anything, it strips paint, especially off callipers when you are bleeding them - go to a race shop with a proper bleeding kit.

R+C

CarbonFibre
March 7th, 2004, 12:12
That new Sportec brake package sounds like a good option now. 400 mm fronts are nothing to frown about (although you'll likely need bigger wheels).