View Full Version : Communication snafu caused parts delay +"bad gas" question

JAXRS6
March 2nd, 2004, 23:06
Those of you here for a while may remember my anger over four weeks of beast downtime, mostly waiting for an engine crank pulley from Germany. Turns out that part was in the US all the time, but the dealer and AoA didn't know it.

AoA told my dealer to order the pulley and provided a parts number. The dealer ordered it but Germany refused to send it (and may have taken some time to communicate that to AoA; I don't know, just guessing). Why? Because their records show the US already had the part. Again, my guess is that some time may have passed before discovering why: The part is the same engine crank pulley as is used on the 2.7T.

All this from the assistant service manager at my Florida Gulf Coast dealership, who said he practically pulled his hair out upon learning what happened. "The American and European divisions had bad communication and it trickled down to us, and of course you," he said today. He also said the work could have been done faster, but there was no paperwork to show the compatability of the part between the two engines. One result was a recent memo to US field managers, clarifying that more RS6 engine crank pulleys are right here if needed: Just use the one for a 2.7T.

As for me, I was a little steamed when I learned this, but I got over it quickly after realizing the outcome should help prevent similar mistakes in the future.

:) :)

BAD GAS UPDATE & QUESTION: Another issue I've ranted about is subpar performance blamed on bad gas (because the only computer-recorded symptom is sporadic misfiring of all 8 cylinders, plus there was carbon on the plugs). About a week ago some but not all of the driving symptoms showed up again. Hesitation and surging were there, in mild form, but no shuddering or idling/stalling issues. CEL went on, then off 13 miles later. Seems fine now. But I'm wondering ... does anyone know how/where I can get gasoline tested for water content, other contamination & the like? A Porsche survey of gasoline in the Sarasota market, apparently undertaken because of gasoline quality concerns, showed Exxon as the only acceptable brand there. Heat & humidity create storage challenges. But Exxon, and Mobil, have left my county & my home is about 50 miles from Sarasota -- which no longer has many Exxon stations either. And I wonder why those companies are leaving this growing market....

Then again, maybe this performance issue is more related to my mileage -- over 16K on my odo. My 15K maintenance apparently was the first in the US. Car ran great for first 12K miles, and my RS6 is the only one with this issue among 7 being serviced at this dealership.

But my main question for now is, how I can get proper testing for a sample of local gasoline? Obviously, gasoline cannot just be mailed to some lab. Any guess re cost to do same?

GoFastKindaGuy
March 3rd, 2004, 02:58
You may recall my beast suffered misfire, hesitation and stalling. At one time, bad gas was IDed as a possible cause. Good gas did not cure it.

Turned out it was either an inlet leak or bad mass air sensors. I don't know which for sure because Audi was changing everything they could think of to ge me back to normal. I suspect it was an inlet leak.

:mech:

Bauer
March 3rd, 2004, 04:47
Gotta love AoA and their total lack of comunication on your car. I hope you don't have to go through anything like that again.:nono:

TheBrit
March 3rd, 2004, 19:50
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy
Turned out it was either an inlet leak or bad mass air sensors. I don't know which for sure because Audi was changing everything they could think of to ge me back to normal. I suspect it was an inlet leak.
I had a boost leak from one intercooler due to accident damage (somebody hit me, for the record!) and all it caused was an "intermittent rich" warning on the diags - no noticable loss of performance. If you were losing so much air that drivability suffered, I would expect you'd be detecting a rich condition on the back end.

Klint
March 3rd, 2004, 20:01
JAX,

I'm starting to feel great sympathy for you with the misfortune you've experienced with your Rs6/AoA.

You've got some patience. I know I would of been long gone with the car.

JAXRS6
March 5th, 2004, 08:57
Thanks for the suggestions & sentiments. I'm hopeful a PM exchange will generate dealer-to-dealer communication that might help resolve my performance issues. Will know more next week, after taking car in Monday.

I haven't disposed of the car because I am so in love with it. I mean, in a car sort of way ... but the RS6 does have a great ass, don't you think?

Seriously, I am looking at alternatives. There's not much to compare with the RS6, altho I did notice an E55 with about the same mileage (15K) for sale here in Florida per ad in AutoWeek. But I'm not sure a German car will solve parts problems, and I'd be giving up AWD.

Among newer models, I've driven the GTO and CTS V. Can't compare to RS6, I know, but that's the problem -- not much does. Both good performers and surprisingly good assembly -- but no AWD. Plus I'm not crazy about the styling of either, and the GTO's lack of sunroof availability & no trunk pass-through are big drawbacks. The GTO interior is beautiful, tho ... but I found the Caddy's cabin too stark and radical.

Since nothing else measures up to the RS6, I continue to hope for the best for now. Once I return to Michigan, though, things could change. That's in May, and I bought the car in Michigan. If my beast is not running consistently good by then, it may indeed be gone.

Finnus
March 5th, 2004, 12:39
Its unfortunate all of the trouble you've had with your Beast (takes on a new meaning). Spending $90,000 you shouldn't have to deal with all of this BS. It seems that AOA should really step up to the plate and take care of this, with a new car if necessary.... What about lemon laws?

Finnus
:addict:

JAXRS6
March 5th, 2004, 16:34
Originally posted by Finnus
What about lemon laws?

I looked into this a little, starting an off topic post on Jan. 22 (only 1 response tho). I purchased the car in Michigan so would return it there, and my attorney says I need to meet one of two criteria: Either the car goes into service four times for the same problem and it's not fixed yet, or it's been disabled for at least 30 days.

Monday is my third trip for subpar performance (sporadic). And I fell about two days short of the 30 day limit while waiting -- unnecessarily, it turns out -- for the replacement engine crank pulley.

BTW every RS6 buyer in the US should have received a booklet with one page explaining options in each state. Some have lemon laws, some don't.

I hope I don't have to exercise my lemon law rights, but we'll see. Maybe my Michigan dealer will step up to the plate with an offer before such action, but I may give them a chance to fix the car first if there are still problems by the time I return in late May or early June...if my patience doesn't run out.

Bauer
March 5th, 2004, 16:37
Sorry to hear of your continued proplems but if it is the gas you really can't blame Audi for that one....as crappy as it is. I know this does you no good when your in florida and I feel for you. I would see if the problem persists in Michigan and if it does than you know its probably is not the gas. My guess is that it is the gas which then leaves you with the same problem when you in florida.....:vhmmm:

JAXRS6
March 5th, 2004, 20:40
Originally posted by Bauer
if it is the gas you really can't blame Audi for that one

You're absolutely right. That's why I'm asking about how I can get gas tested, what to look for, etc. No solutions forthcoming yet on that front, however.

And if it is bad gas, waiting for Michigan makes sense.

But right now I'm exploring a promising connection with GoFastKindaGuy's service manager, who said my symptoms sound like his car, and whose department first blamed bad gas but later found something else. And GoFastKindaGuy seems very happy with the results.

Should know more next week. Stay tuned.
:mech:

EternalX
March 6th, 2004, 06:09
youve been having those problems this long and people still think its bad gas? come on now, i hope they take care of your car. if you wind up useing the lemon law, will you get another rs6 for possibly pretty cheap? or go somewhere else?

JAXRS6
March 6th, 2004, 07:21
Bad gas is still a possibility because I live in a small market in SW Florida, where extreme humidity and warm temps create storage problems such as excessive condensation. Altho there are six other RS6s being serviced from the same dealer with no problems like mine, none of their owners live near me; they're all in Sarasota. So, it's possible I'm still getting bad gas in this small town, where slower turnover at service stations means gas may be stored longer.

But it's no longer the likely culprit, I'd certainly agree, and so I too hope the dealer here finds something else that will fix the problem. He should be talking Monday morning to the Wisconsin dealer who solved GoFastKindaGuy's problem from the same symptoms after bad gas was wrongly blamed there. I talked with the Wisconsin service manager myself late Friday & may post more after I see what happens Monday with FL-WI dealer communication. But for now I am very hopeful this will be resolved soon! :hahahehe:

To answer EternalX's question, I'm not sure what I would get next if it comes to that. I've been shopping but as I've written elsewhere, there really is no competition for the RS6 unless I want to kiss off AWD -- which I don't.

GoFastKindaGuy
March 6th, 2004, 15:41
The AWD alternatives I considered were the Porsche Cayane (amazing for a truck, but not an RS6) and the 996tt which I own, but park in winter. And my wife drives an S6 Avant.

I ruled out the Jaguar, Volvo and MB 4-matic pretty quickly. Just dogs.

That left me with "fix the damned RS6.":mech: