PDA

View Full Version : Manual/Triptonic?

Dimitri
March 1st, 2004, 11:00
Due to some "burocratic" :vhmmm: problems my loving S4 avant itīs gone back to my dealer I donīt know right now if just for a while or forever.. :vgrumpy:

So I migth be ordering a new one (of course, thereīs no choice but another S4 avant, thatīs for sure) in a couple of weeks if we donīt solve the problem, but the point is, I donīt know if make a change and go for a triptonic.

I make a lot of kms a year and iīm thinking itīll more confortable for a daily use, and more in the city traffic.

But in the other hand, will I lose the feeling I had on the manual, itīs really as faster as manual as audis claims (just 0,1 sgs from 0 to 100). Itīs true that gears are much longer, so there wonīt be so faster response...

Itīs true that I also think about the posible failures, My S4 lost its reverse with 2500 kms but It didnīt have any trouble since then..

Iīld like to have the opinion from someone who had tried both, since Iīve had a great experience but just with the manual gearbox, that by the way I just loved.

Itīs true that my last experience was whith an 2000 A6 2.5 tdi quattro tiptronic and didnīt liked that gearbox, very much, does anybody know if thereīs been big changes since that kind of tiptronic, itīs really more sportive de s4īs.

I hope somebody can tell me, it worries me because I remenber Erik saying that someone from audi told him that there was a clompetely different car if you choosed manual or tiptronic.

Iīm anxious for your answers, and of course for getting back the car, that I can tell you, this days Iīve looking for a good substitute and Iīm canīt think of any other car that has everything I can ask as this one do.

Thanks everyone in advance...

smerayo
March 5th, 2004, 15:00
Dimitri, i don t know what kind of problem you might have. I really hope (whatever the problemis, you may solve the sooner the better. I have done 9000kms on mine and i am ready to sell it as i want to buy another different car. I have not had any problem w/ my gearbox since they changed the whole gearbox. The car is already broken in but it "ain t" for me. I need sth more radical and not as smooth as our cars. It goes without saying that the mileage is too low. It s around 16-17 l/100kms VS 13-13.5l of the M3. Less sportive,too!!

I don t want anyone to think that i am unhappy with the car. It s a very good car, but not for a 26 year-old guy. Maybe my car is done for my oldest brother or my Dad who is 60.

Regards and i hope you solve your problems; the sooner the better...
Sergio

Dimitri
March 5th, 2004, 16:32
You know, this monday Iīll be thirty and maybe thatīs why I love this car... :p

Just kidding, anyway, which alternatives are you thinking of? Are you going back to M3 again? Because right now for me itīs been very difficult ti find something that I like.

I had the temptation to go back to "diesel-land" ( I make around 50.000 kms a year and itīs true S4 itīs really thirsty) and yesterday I tried a new 530d from a friend and Oh my god!!! I really felt like in the fifties-sixties...

Anyway, I think at the end I will go for the same car, for me itīs very important to have four wheel drive and also it is the stealth factor... and maybe next coming family so iīll be needing space...

Iīve been considering some different cars but, you know, M3 itīs not 4wd and I think itīll be sustituited in aorund one year for a new model which means much devaluation, I like de new 545 touring, but again no 4wd, too big, not sporty, new A6, the same big and not Avant yet indeed, and Porsche Cayenne again too big and not sporty either stealth, so the solution is continuity: S4 Avant.

If anyone can help Iīll aprecciate...

smerayo
March 5th, 2004, 22:15
S**t!!, I ll be 27 on Monday too!!! What s going on?? it slike you found out when my birthday is.

Yes, i want to go back to an M3 again. My wife has an X5 which is very familiar car; big, secure, nice, diesel and 4wd (not as good as our S4, but 4wd). Therefore, i ve been considering all chances on getting a new sportier car and it always comes to the M3, i dont know why :hahahehe: :hahahehe: . it ll be at least 3 years until the new M4?? will come out, so i ll have time to get tired of it UNLESS THE ENGINE "explodes" once again...(that s what i am afraid of) I ve been told by a BMW worker that BMW has strengthen their engine parts that were involved in roture; the cylinders and all that stuff...

Now, the problem; the S4 will be difficult to sell and i don t "wanna" sell it for free:confused:
I don t know what to do; any suggestions???? Any help would be appreciated...
Regards and happy birthday to you and to me:D !

Klint
March 5th, 2004, 22:35
Happy Birthday, Old guys! :p

I'm not a fan of automatics wether they are paddle shifter or not. ala SMG. Maybe Erik can chime in and elaborate on what he ment about the manual and the tiptronic being two different cars.

smerayo,

The M3 engine exploding shouldn't be a trouble, unless you get a faulty engine from the factory. The 'only' batch of M3s that were affected were the pre 2003 models. So, it's been long resolved by now, although a couple 2003 M3s have given up the ghost, which isn't surprising since the M3 powerplant is already a highly stressed unit.

...again. Happy Birthday Gentlemen. :thumb:

Dimitri
March 6th, 2004, 04:08
Letīs say ALONSO!!!!

Sorry for the spanish proud! at lesat once in our life time...

Shak
March 14th, 2004, 22:16
Tiptronic on my S4 Avant rocks...

Audihead
March 15th, 2004, 17:39
Originally posted by Shak
Tiptronic on my S4 Avant rocks...

Did you ever get a Tip chip for it or did you leave it stock? :revs:

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

Shak
March 15th, 2004, 22:01
standard as ever.