PDA

View Full Version : How safe is your baby !!!

FOX
February 28th, 2004, 23:42
It is everybody's wurst nightmare !! Wake up in the morning, open your door, walk to your garage and make an horrible discorvery " Your car has bin stolen " :MTM:
I have post this story because i have read an article about " Stolen Cars " Evereone knows that the cars that we drive are verry expensive!! if we talk in money language$$$ But ist not only the money that counds. For the most of you your car hase also an verry high emotionele value:rs6kiss:
So i whas wondering how many one of you have secure there car for 100% I mean beside the standard security. I am tallking about the so cald " Black box "The GPS traking system" In the article the say its the best end the quickest way to secure your car, infact BMW will standard fit this system in 80% of all there cars ( BMW X,Z,M,5 and 7 series. understandable because 99% of the stolen cars will return to the real owner. Below you will see the Top 5 of Stolen cars and also the number of cars that returned.

1 Mercedes 108 S 25% R
2 BMW 97 S 34% R
3 VW 95 S 52,6 R
4 Audi 47 S 53,2 R
5 Opel 39 S 71,8 R

I think Is not a bad thing if Audi dus the same to there cars:thumb:

Please share your opinion !!!

Audi Rulezzzzzz

Aronis
February 29th, 2004, 01:35
I have never had a car stolen, and I have owned many hot cars. I am very careful about where I park!

Auto theft could be reduced sharply if we simply punished the theives - I.E. Not a few years in the all boys health club. Prison sucks, but apparently it does not suck enough.

Montreal is known as the "car theft capital of North America." Why? 1. They don't have the funds to have a branch of the police who deal with stolen cars. 2. The punishment for stealing a car is a few hundred dollars fine, no prison time.

In NYC your car is whisked off to a tanker at the bay and bye bye, via tow truck without anyone taking notice of the alarm blaring.

Flat beds take cars all the time, few take notice of a car being flat beded way by a couple of thugs - IMO all tows/flat beds should require a cop be present to do appropriate paperwork such as verifying ownship and identity. Of course if done with fake cop that adds impersonating a police officer to the crime, they don't like that, they punish that more harshly than stealing a car.

If a car such as an RS 6 costs as much as a house, then the punishment should be similar as if someone stole your house!

I don't think one can drive away a modern car with key specific anti theft such as in BMW/Audi/MB etc. The flat bed is the way around this.

In "Gone in 60 Seconds," they used the keys from the dealership to steal the MB's. Even Hollywood verifies that those cars are hard to steel.

Mike

GoFastKindaGuy
February 29th, 2004, 02:48
In the USA, the OnStar system will track our cars if stolen and reported.:looking:

gjg
February 29th, 2004, 08:46
Lojack in combination with something else would work - if I remember correctly On Star is using cellular to communicate, simple cell jammer takes care of this one for time needed to disable the system.

Need tilt/bump sensors for flatbed job, connected to the above.

I agree with Mike - if there is no sufficient punishment ......

Aronis
February 29th, 2004, 16:49
If they are flat bedding your car, the On-Star is disabled easily.

1. Kill main battery - knocks out alarm
2. Onstar Back up battery dies in about 60 seconds, if it's not already dead.
3. Onstar can be disabled by cliping the antenne off.

Mike

JAXRS6
March 1st, 2004, 00:00
Originally posted by Aronis
Onstar Back up battery dies in about 60 seconds

Just wondering what your source is for this info.

Aronis
March 1st, 2004, 00:15
I was just joking.

My onstar backup battery failed after only 1 month of ownership.

I doubt the battery would work long if the main battery was out.

Mike

JAXRS6
March 1st, 2004, 05:30
Originally posted by Aronis
I was just joking.

Guess I shoulda known that. Mine has failed three times.

Klint
March 2nd, 2004, 13:50
Some cool and very sophisticated systems are available to deter thiefing B****s.

Nothing beats the South African example of getting back at thieves! :rotflmao:

Aronis
March 2nd, 2004, 14:50
The real problem with any theft is that people in general do not respect other's property.

We have systematically devalued other's property as 'they' have systematically tried to stamp out the basics of our US Constitution.

Everything goes now...

What LAWs....

The only laws 'they' want to enforce are speeding laws - ie another tax system....is it really illegal if everyone does it including the police? What is the moral basis of speeding laws? Don't tell me that speed kills....that is a relative issue.....are you safe going 65 in the snow while pulling a trailor in rear wheel drive pickup truck?? Are you safe going 55 in a yogo with bald tires???? Are you safe in a HUGE SUV going 55 in the rain, rapidly chaning lanes????

Thou Shall Not Speed....NOT...

It's Thou Shall Not STEAL...

Ra5a
March 5th, 2004, 20:22
gps is easily disabled by a wet towel..
so that's easily fixed..
alltough i still like the idea..