PDA

View Full Version : rs6 , m3 csl or 996 turbo??

madmark
February 28th, 2004, 23:34
I currently own an rs6 and have been pondering a trade in lately possibly an m3 csl , a 996 turbo or another rs6 ! Since i dont get the chance to do many track days lately which of these cars do you think is the fastest in a straight line , has anyone got figures for all of them ?/ ive owned an e46 ms and wasnt at all impressed with its speed but handling was good . Im pleased with the rs6 but the residuals are poo ! Im not moaning about this and i know a car isnt an investment but it has put me off another one a little ! Any help is more than appreciated

nyrs6
February 29th, 2004, 01:10
Porche Turbo w/ X50 package or RS6 with aftermarket 600hp package.

bilbozilla
February 29th, 2004, 03:19
I was considering the 996TT w/ X50 when I bought my RS6 and I can honestly say I find myself drifiting (not in the Toyota Celica w/ Yokohama stickers sense of the word) by the Porsche dealer reconsidering. I love my RS6, but I think I could love a 996TT w/X50 even more. The extra comforts the Audi has are nice, and I recognize that both vehicles are in entirely different leagues, but I do regret (just a little) not getting the Porsche.

Bingocaller
February 29th, 2004, 08:38
I agree with nyrs6.

Any pics of that fine Porsche 996 TT w/ X50 anyone :D

jgun81
February 29th, 2004, 08:47
Remember that M3 CSL is just a light weight version of
m3(and little more hp)
If you were not impressed with m3 in straight line,
there is no way you will be impressed by m3 csl
I see that m3 and m3 csl have very similar straight line performace
If it is on a track, it's a different story.
Track is where m3 csl belongs.

Klint
February 29th, 2004, 10:55
The CSL is a great car because it's based around an even greater one.

You seem to be looking for an all round car, so scrub the CSL off the list. Between the RS6 and the Turbo, that's entirely up to you. Both are possibly the best all round performance cars you can get, but with the turbo being the supercar choice.

Best of luck with your decision. :)

Erik
February 29th, 2004, 10:58
The 996 Turbo is the fastest of them all, regardless of manual or tiptronic.

The RS6 and the CSL are about as fast in a straight line.
I guess that you would feel the speed more in the CSL due to engine noise, SMG etc. but it doesn't mean it's any faster in reality :revs:

eph94
February 29th, 2004, 16:16
If there is one car I wish I had more than the RS6, it is the 996TT. I think you are fighting a battle in your head that a lot of us are currently, or will be, going through.

Maybe in three years when the lease is up on the RS6, the 997(?)TT (or pre-owned 996TT) will replace our recently ordered Cooper as the third car and then I'll pick up something more mundane as a daily driver like an A4 3.0 Avant.

Bauer
February 29th, 2004, 18:10
I also looked at 996 TT but I do not regret the RS6 at all. I can't take four friends and skis/snowboards to Tahoe or out to dinner in 996. I truly believe these cars are two different to swap one for the other in the same class of cars. For me a 996TT would be a third car and if you look at the resale values of those currently....they aren't so hot. I know a guy trying to sell a low mile, very clean 2001 996tt and he cant give the thing away. The X50 package is better but still there is a gult from what I have seen in the Porsche market.

Also, if you look at getting a new or used 996 TT remember 2 yr 24k warranty only compared to 4 yr 50k warranty AND maintence inculded on the RS6. I know Porsches have a good reputation as far as reliabilty is concerned but you never know.

The last consideration for me was that kids will probably be comming in the future and a 996 TT is not really the best car for having kids...at least in my mind. To me the RS6 is a great blend of both worlds...but a 996TT is awsome car just totally different.

On a side note, even though I feel that these cars belong in different classes....I do love that people are comparing the RS6 to the likes of 996 TT's. It shows to me that the RS6 is a great blend of both worlds.:cheers:

Good luck with your decission.