PDA

View Full Version : Potential New RS6 Owner

nd4spd
February 28th, 2004, 06:36
I'm close to buying an RS6 and have some questions for you experienced owners.

1. I want to change the wheels and tires to either 19" or 20". What recommendations do you have for either?

2. I want to improve the handling of the car. What is the best start, ie: lowering, if so, what do you recommend, sway bars, etc...

3. What exhaust systems do you recommend to improve performance and sound without going to extremes.

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations.

gnomik007
February 28th, 2004, 06:58
Welcome,all these Qs were already discussed here many times,so just browse through a bit and I am sure you'll find plenty of info:addict:

JAXRS6
February 28th, 2004, 07:49
As gnomik007 says, we have discussed these at length. Not trying to avoid your questions; it's just that they've been answered already. Try the search function above, once for each topic you wish to explore. FYI Miltek (not sure of spelling) seems to be a popular aftermarket exhaust, but there hasn't been much discussion about lowering the car. It's already pretty low, and as much as some of us might want to maximize performance, most prefer not to scrape when entering driveways & the like. Especially if it's our daily driver.

Please note many forum participants are European, many others are in the US or elsewhere (e.g. Moscow for gnomik007), and many everywhere -- like you -- choose not to reveal their location. Therefore you may find posts about products not available in your country or market. On the other hand, if you reveal your location, you may get more helpful replies on this thread as time goes on.

avdh
February 28th, 2004, 08:37
Yes these subjects have been discussed at lenght on this forum, however here's my two cents worth.

Don't mess with the suspension, the DRC system is brilliant and from what I have read here and there, suspension kits do not improve the handling, as they have to cancel the DRC system. In most case, the ride was harsher and there was body roll.

The ride height can be changed electronically, even though Audi will say otherwise.
All it involves in a VAZ diagnostic machine, which all Audi workshops have, but 99.9% of the technician do not know about it.
However with the later RS6's, some modifications have to be done to the DRC ECU, and that's a bit more difficults, hence the reason why I have yet to do it on my car. Without the mod to the DRC ECU, the car goes up and down one wheel at the time, as the DRC ECU is trying to correct the new data entered via the VAZ computer.

For exhausts, Milltek is a good one, they also have racing cats. They are many others as well.

As for the wheels IMHO the Audi RS6 19" are the nicest, but to each his own.

Bauer
February 29th, 2004, 18:50
nd4spd-

Welcome to the board and like the others have said the search function is fantastic on this board and should anwser alot of your questions.

Here's my .02

1. Both rim sizes will look awsome but you will loose some ride quality with larger size rims. I have been looking at HRE which can be a bit pricey but are very nice. I am currently waiting for them to start using titanium fastners to decrease the weight of the forged wheels. They said in about April they will heve them ready.

http://www.hrewheels.com/Wheels/

2. I have ordered some different sway bars to see how it affects the balance of the car. I can tell you that the DRC works very well for street use but once you get it on the track...it takes a little getting use to. I dont think I am going to touch the suspension. If you do decide the do someting I would recommend Paul @ Stasis as they are truely break and suspension geaks. Not to mention some very nice people. They have not done an RS6 yet but have done RS4's and they have a two car race team in World Challange GT. Also, Josh @ Achtuning used Stasis for the car featured in a S4 shoot out in European Car and they felt the suspension was the best set up out of about..I think it was 6 or 7 tuners.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/index.shtml

3. I am probably keeping my sound enhancing exhaust so I have not really done any research in this dept but there are many good systems out there.

Good luck and keep us posted

:cheers: