PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

gnomik007
February 27th, 2004, 14:11
Are there any available intercoolers to improve the cooling of the engine?It is not a big problem,but last summer when I went on to a track and did a straight acceleration up to 307km/h the engine temp hit the limit when I stoped.There was no damage done and I supppose that happened because the temp outside was +33 celcius degrees and very very sunny.At the time I only had Sportec chip and middle/back Milltek exhaust ,but now I have DPs as well.Additional cooling would definately be useful,so if anything is out there do tell

:race:

Nordschleife
February 27th, 2004, 14:21
talk to MTM

R+C

360M
February 27th, 2004, 18:43
The intercoolers are not for cooling your engine, but cooling the compressed air going into the combustion chambers (more efficient design = more power). The radiator/water pump/thermostat are what "cool" the engine. You should be taking a cooldown lap at the track (for both the engine and brakes) and when you stop the car, raise the hood. Your car will be much happier.

Erik
February 27th, 2004, 18:50
RS6 Self Study (pdf) 3Mb (http://www.rs6.com/pics/RS6/RS6COM-Selfstudy.pdf)

Nordschleife
February 27th, 2004, 19:04
Originally posted by 360M
The intercoolers are not for cooling your engine, but cooling the compressed air going into the combustion chambers (more efficient design = more power). The radiator/water pump/thermostat are what "cool" the engine. You should be taking a cooldown lap at the track (for both the engine and brakes) and when you stop the car, raise the hood. Your car will be much happier.

Congratulations - you've scored an own goal there!

An intercooler is any device which is used to cool one substance by passing another, cooler substance in close proximity to the other.

So the radiator is an air/water intercooler.
The charge air intercoolers are air/air intercoolers.
Oil coolers for gearboxes and engines are usually oil/water intercoolers or oil/air intercoolers.

So intercoolers ARE used to cool the engine......... and gearboxes and charge air, and sometimes even differentials.

HTH
R+C

360M
February 27th, 2004, 20:55
OK Mr. Webster's...perhaps where you live a radiator may be referred to as an "intercooler," but that term is applied to the charge air component...at least in the US.

:cheers:

JP4
February 27th, 2004, 23:53
Originally posted by 360M

I agree completely with 360M on this one. Try being more deliberate with regard to your cool down procedures after a "sporty" session.

JP4 :incar:

avdh
February 28th, 2004, 08:57
It's right, a cooling down lap or two is mandatory, not just for the RS6 but any car.

What I have done which seems to help, just a bit with the high temparatures we have in South Africa, is to remove the front carbon fibre cover of the engine, which when hot, due to its poor design traps air and restrics cooling. That could be why my DV's packed up so quickly.

Bigger intercoolers are not going the help the high ambient temperature of the RS6's engine. Better ventilation from the front, as well as better suction at the back of the engine would help a lot more. Now who wants to design something like that?

I've learned one thing with the RS6, and that is with temperatures above 25 degree C (77 Deg C) I just don't push the car for too long. Quater miles are OK, but top speed runs are for cool days only.

Our mild winter starts in a few months, and for once I am actually looking forward to it.

Nordschleife
February 28th, 2004, 09:31
There are additional intercoolers available for the RS6. These were developed by quattro GmbH / Audi AG for the RS6 for hot climate areas.
These are used to provide additional cooling for the engine and gearbox oil.
For various reasons, like the dollar tanking, they were never put into production. However, if you approach MTM, ask for Michael Weber, he will be able to source them for you.
Based on my own experience, any additional cooling helps.

R+C