PDA

View Full Version : OMG how can someone drive this car!!!

Bauer
February 26th, 2004, 23:54
Got a 1998 A4 2.8 quattro as a loaner today and man is that thing gutless :boring: . I think my 1984 4000 quattro was faster then this it.....well I guess on the bright side, when I get my RS6 back it should seem like I strapped a soild rocket booster to my a$$.:wo:

Oh and the overboost deal happend again and I am getting a valve cover gasket replaced, on star (might as well have a go so I can watch it turn red again) and check front pads for cracks. Other than that still running strong.:rs6kiss:

Benman
February 27th, 2004, 00:28
Sorry to hear to hear the overboost is back. My loaner car was the 2.7T (much quicker!).:cheers:

Ben:addict:

RobertV
February 27th, 2004, 02:10
But I "only" have a S6, so I can image how it must feel for you folks:hihi:
Hope they fix your beast ASAP, keep us posted!

iconcls
February 27th, 2004, 02:18
Originally posted by Bauer
Got a 1998 A4 2.8 quattro as a loaner today and man is that thing gutless :boring:

Hey, I had one of those as a loaner also. Almost fuggin' killed myself pulling out into traffic because I forgot I just left 300hp at the dealer for service, DOH! "Gutless" is being generous. ;)

Mal
February 27th, 2004, 07:38
Trouble is, I think we are all spoilt with all that useable power of the RS6 - they give you those from the dealer to remind why you spent so much on a saloon car (or avant in my case)

nene
February 27th, 2004, 13:29
Sorry to hear the over boost issue still there.
Any chance you can tell us what the CEL number is, in case it shows any?

Bauer
February 27th, 2004, 16:26
Over boost problem only happened once this time comming out of a parking lot as I floored it. Went into limp mode for about 60 sec and then re-set itself. The car just is creating a little too much power.....wait did I just say that. Let me re-state that ....the damm software wont let my car be who it wants to be:w: ....my car is in ECU hell:D . We will have to see what the tech says this time around.

Any chance you can tell us what the CEL number is, in case it shows any

I assume CEL is the same as the fault code and if that is the case sure.

TheBrit
February 27th, 2004, 17:39
Originally posted by Bauer
Got a 1998 A4 2.8 quattro as a loaner today and man is that thing gutless
From the perspective of an RS owner, yes I guess it is. IIRC, the UK A4 2.8 quattro sport was about 193bhp, which seemed plenty fast enough coming from a Vauxhall (GM) Vectra SRI with about 130bhp from a 2.5 litre V6...

nene
February 27th, 2004, 18:55
The CEL is the check engine light code or fault code that the system will record when issues occur. I usually can see those when I use my VAG tool. Sometimes, the service folks will write it on your service sheet.

As for the power from the 2.8, it all comes down to point of reference. Going from an RS6 to any other sedan, it just plain sucks like hell.
Okay...maybe hell won't suck so much if there are 10 hotties waiting for me with a Murcielago Roadster!!!

avdh
February 28th, 2004, 09:13
Did you have your Dump Valves checked? Could be related....

As for smaller engine power output cars, now you can realise how lucky and priviledged you are to have an RS6 :)

I have driven the S3 for a week solid, and I still love it to bits. I think it is a question of mental adaptation.
If you adapt to the car you're driving and forget about the RS6 power (for a while) than it's OK.
I drove an A4 2.0L yesterday and it is a fine car for it's price, but 40 kilometres was enough.

romac
February 28th, 2004, 18:37
I split my driving time between my chipped '00 Passat 1.8T and the RS6. What is most amazing to me is that under average accelleration the sense of speed in the Passat "appears" to be greater from the scream of the engine. The smoothness of the power on the RS6 understates whats actually going on.
The best comparison is under hard accelleration, when the roar on the Passat is from the engine bay, while on the beast its from the exhaust!

Bauer
February 29th, 2004, 18:28
Well got my baby back on Friday and I must say I do not know how I will ever be able to own a slower car after the RS6.....it has really spoiled me:rs6kiss: .

As far as the over boost problem the tech says he could not find anything. He did say he talked with AoA tech support and they said the car went into limp mode because as I hit the gas comming out of a parking lot, there was a pot hole I hit and something about one wheel spinning faster than another caused the problem. I think they are full of **** but it only happened once this time and it only happened at that point so who knows....will have to wait and see.

On star system just had to be re-set now the light is green again....see how long that lasts.

Other than that car is perfect.:thumb: