PDA

View Full Version : Trade In/resale value

RCV3
February 26th, 2004, 20:08
As some of you may remember, I have an RS6 that was hit well over a month ago - while I was parked with the engine off. The damage was nowhere near what I was originally told it was as there was no damage to the engine or frame - only body panels and plastic. The car is now fully repaired and from what I can tell perfect. However, for a number of reasons, I am strongly considering trading the car in for an A8L or selling the car privately.

It is daytona grey with black interior. It has the basic options but no nav, no sound enhancing exhaust and no sun shades. It has basically everything else. It was run in with extreme care to the extent anyone on the board is interested.

Any thoughts on the value of these cars at the moment would be appreciated.

RCV3
February 26th, 2004, 20:09
Obviously I left out a key fact - it has 2,300 miles on the clock.

Bauer
February 26th, 2004, 23:07
I would venture a guess between 75K and 80K but who knows with the repair maybe 70K to 75K...these of course are only random guesses. Good luck with your decission and possible sale.:deal:

P.S. Love the look of the new A8:thumb:

RobertV
February 27th, 2004, 02:19
On audiworld, folks are posting that new cars are going for 10K off MRSP. We saw with 2manycars that trade in was painful, BUT he trade it in a Benz dealer (which maybe good or bad.) I think that if the A8 cars are not selling, the dealer may work with you. I would give them a call and ask, it can not hurt, and it is no skin off your back.

JAXRS6
February 27th, 2004, 07:50
Originally posted by RCV3
Any thoughts on the value of these cars at the moment would be appreciated.

Where are you? That will certainly have some impact, since the price of a new RS6 seems to vary considerably in different parts of the world. In the US, edmunds.com is useful & allows you to enter options, location, mileage etc. for a valuation tailored to each vehicle. They also give separate amounts for individual sale, dealer trade-in & dealer retail.

Audihead
February 27th, 2004, 15:54
I just had a look around. I saw 4 RS6's, none with more than 5,000 miles on them. They were going for a range of $78,500 to 79.900. That is the open market rate for dealers and public. Remember if you take it in as a trade they will probably take you for 3K to 4K. Also the car was damaged, they will cut you even deeper because of this. I'm sure you know this but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

GoFastKindaGuy
February 28th, 2004, 01:03
Latest issue of Autoweek showed a new RS6 (200 mi) for 10K below MSRP. (This appears to be one of the owners who tried to get over MSRP in Autoweek when the cars were scarce.)

RCV3
March 1st, 2004, 16:34
The dealer is indicating a value in the middle 60K range at the moment for my RS. They say they just bought a new one from another dealer for under $70K. I am not shocked and have not decided what to do yet. I managed to get fairly good movement off the list on an A8 - but not enough to make a swap.

nene
March 1st, 2004, 16:54
What do you plan on getting from the A8 that the RS6 can't provide?
Is it worth you losing that much in the first place ($$ with trade-in)?

It seems we're missing some vital info here to make a good educated decision.

Erik
March 1st, 2004, 16:59
I drove the A8 4.2. It feels very slow! :boring: It's like my chipped A6 2.7T. And with the W12 it's a bit over the top for my taste (weight etc.) No need to say, it's very comfortable etc. but the difference between an A8 and the RS6 is HUGE.
I really hope you know what you are doing!

Audihead
March 1st, 2004, 17:10
Originally posted by nene
What do you plan on getting from the A8 that the RS6 can't provide?
Is it worth you losing that much in the first place ($$ with trade-in)?

It seems we're missing some vital info here to make a good educated decision.

I agree, why?

2manycars
March 5th, 2004, 00:52
I have not been on the board in some time, but saw my "name" being mentioned. My dealer stil lhas two unsold cars and I understand he would now take a small amount over tissue just to be out of his 2003 vehicles. Though there is no comparison, I am afraid when the restyled A6 come sout the resale wil plummet even more.

On a happier note, at least for me, I have had my car for over 5 months now which is the longest I have held onto a car in 3 years. My point is, the RS6 is one hell of a car, low resale or not.

I did own an A8, loved the interior gadgets, but hated the size of it. I always felt like I was docking a cruise ship when I parked it. The new A6 looks fabuloous, and with the righ tengine it woul dbe the best of al worlds for me (other than not being a convertable).

Regards all

UrQ
March 5th, 2004, 15:12
I agree that the model change will take some value out of the RS6 but since there will not be a new RS6 for 2-3 years it should hole a value in the 60's once the dealers are sold out (expect June if they go to invoice and offer a 4K incentive).

Finnus
March 5th, 2004, 15:47
The dealer is indicating a value in the middle 60K range at the moment for my RS.

Was it an Audi dealer? In my very limited experience, Audi dealers don't want to pay anything for their cars - they only want to sell new ones.

My dealer (who I bought the car through and who has done all servicing) offered me an insulting $10,000 for my 2001 S4. At the time I knew of one seling at a wholesale auction for $18.5, and Blue Book was listing it at about the same wholesale. So I kept it.

What have others experienced?

Finnus
:addict:

Audihead
March 5th, 2004, 16:21
Originally posted by Finnus
Was it an Audi dealer? In my very limited experience, Audi dealers don't want to pay anything for their cars - they only want to sell new ones.

My dealer (who I bought the car through and who has done all servicing) offered me an insulting $10,000 for my 2001 S4. At the time I knew of one seling at a wholesale auction for $18.5, and Blue Book was listing it at about the same wholesale. So I kept it.

What have others experienced?

Finnus

Finnus, That dealer is crazed. The dealer right near my house is selling a 2001 S4 Auto. for roughly $30K. I think something has gone way wrong in your part of the country or mine to have this much disparty in prices.

Bauer
March 5th, 2004, 17:01
On a happier note, at least for me, I have had my car for over 5 months now which is the longest I have held onto a car in 3 years. My point is, the RS6 is one hell of a car, low resale or not.

That sounds like a glowing review to me:rs6kiss: .....glad to hear you are still happy with the RS6.

I did own an A8, loved the interior gadgets, but hated the size of it. I always felt like I was docking a cruise ship when I parked it.

LOL....:D :D

Finnus

insulting $10,000 for my 2001 S4

Hell at that price....I could go get myself a nice track car.....thats crazy 10K....was it totaled???:hihi: :hihi:

Finnus
March 5th, 2004, 18:38
thats crazy 10K....was it totaled???

No, its in outstanding condition. It has high miles, mostly highway, no major problems and I've taken excellent care of it. Its completely stock and all scheduled services were done at the dealer. I don't regret keeping it, its a great daily driver, especially in winter or driving down to NYC or Long Island.

Finnus

Audihead
March 5th, 2004, 20:28
Finnus, 2001 1.8t's are going for the low 20K's in my area. They have between 40k and 65K miles. What gives w/the blue book? If you use the NADA guide (the one the Dealers use) Retail even with 75,000 miles you should be able to pull $27K.:thumb:

Bauer
March 5th, 2004, 20:40
I'll offer you 11k:D :D thats my final offer.....not a penny more....

well maybe 15k more......crap I can't negotiate:doh:

Sorry this has gotten OT