PDA

View Full Version : Help! E55 or RS6

C3
February 25th, 2004, 15:41
I am totally stuck. I have driven both cars, the E55 on a 4 day loan and the RS6 on two medium length test drives.

The RS6 is definitely the better driver's car, and I like the 4wd (I have always missed it since my scooby days).

The E55 is a considerably nicer environment inside - quieter, more comfortable, more luxurious, more and better toys. Power in a dry straight line is awesome, but the RS6's power is more useable more of the time.

I have an E55 on order for June delivery. Spec'ed as I want it will cost approx £65k. I would be more likely to buy the RS6 slightly used, as I have seen the rather shocking initial depreciation that these cars attract, and especially as it is practically at the end of it's production life. Therefore the RS6 could be around £10k less.

So, what do I do? I'm sure I'll get totally unbiased opinions here :D.

Klint
February 25th, 2004, 15:49
:addict:

The result will be biased for definite, unless we got alot more e55 fans than the Rs6 on here.

What colour(s) are you considering for the Rs6 and the E55?

C3
February 25th, 2004, 16:01
Colours for E55: Brilliant Silver. I'd like black but I don't want to spend every day cleaning it...

Colours for RS6: Daytona, Mugello or Avus.

PS It would most likely be an avant.

JA
February 25th, 2004, 16:35
You already know the answer.

Either you want the driver's car or you want a luxury ornament.

I got my RS6 new in December, 2003, and now have 1,100 miles on the car. I was astounded this past weekend at how much better the car feels each time I take it out now that the initial break-in period is over.

By the way - and this is just my layman's opinion - I am not so sure the RS6 will not hold it's value well over the longer haul, at least here in the states. If Audi could not produce a 2004 RS6 for the US market on account of emissions standards, it tells me that what I just bought is going to be a scarce and valuable car. It also tells me that alot of the talk of these ultra-super-staggering-horsepower cars that are still on the drawing boards at M-B, Audi and BMW, etc will never be built, as they might not be permitted in the ever-increasingly "green-conscious" US.

:addict:

RobertV
February 25th, 2004, 16:36
He had a RS6, traded it in on a 03 E55, 700 miles later was back in another RS6.
My vote would be for the RS6 Avant, but in the end, you need to do what makes YOU happy. I feel that the Quattro and extra space tips the scales to the RS6.
Can you describe more about your findings with the E55?
THX

sturs6
February 25th, 2004, 17:15
I have driven both also and if it were not for the quattro I would have bought the E55. You on the other hand are luckier than I am. If I could have bought the RS6 in Avant I would have never even looked at the E55.
All this to say
In my Opinion your PS answered your own question. If you are thinking about an RS6 Avant you must want an Avant and unless the E55 also comes in an Avant in the UK I think you have made your choice. :rs6kiss:
:cheers: and most of all good luck with your decision and I am sure you will be happy either way.

Bauer
February 25th, 2004, 18:05
C3-

First off welcome to the board!!! I try and not be biased when I get asked these types of questions....but we all know how that goes:D .

Like others have said it really depends on what you are looking for. I do believe the E55 is going to be offered if not already offered as and Avant in Europe not sure about the UK. So if that is the case then it only comes down to do you want a drivers cars that doubles as a useful daily hauler? or a dragster that is a little more well appointed that also can be use as a useful daily driver. If it were me.......well thats easy becasue I am a Audi fan but here is my take on it. What is the point of having a powerful car if you cant use the power??? The quattro system allows use the power more of the time and if you plan on hauling a family around ...it would seem to me that the RS6 would be a safer choice as well.

Good luck with your decisson as they are both fantastic cars. cheers:

JA
February 25th, 2004, 18:37
You guys are too nice and too diplomatic! Just tell the man to buy the superior car - the RS6, of course - and get it over with!

Just kidding.

Isn't life beautiful when the most vexing choice one has is whether to buy the RS6 or the E55?

JAXRS6
February 25th, 2004, 19:14
Originally posted by JA
Isn't life beautiful when the most vexing choice one has is whether to buy the RS6 or the E55?
Well said!:0:

I also agree with sturs6's statement that he would prefer an E55 were it not for quattro on the RS6. I test drove an E55 for 40 miles, have written here about it before, so will just add this:

At the top of my RS6 window sticker with the MSRP on it, there are two words in large type. One is performance, the other is luxury. Both cars strive to excel in both categories.

You, C3, seem to favor the Benz for luxury, and I would not disagree. But if performance is your highest priority, then what KIND of performance? Straight-line acceleration in the dry? That can be fun, there's no denying it. Or is your priority on handling and -- as I've discovered -- an uncanny ability to merge into traffic which is not mergeable for anything else with a real back seat? (Don't bother to look up mergeable; I made it up.)

Bottom line: You need to decide which is more important to you -- luxury or performance -- and if it's performance, what kind.

bilbozilla
February 25th, 2004, 19:30
My brother came up to visit from Los Angeles and he has a new E55. I picked him up at the airport in my RS6 and all he could say was "why didn't I look at Audi before?" I let him drive it during our wet weather here in California and he couldn't wait to get back to L.A. to get to the Audi dealer.

They are both great cars, but, although the Benz is faster, he said the Benz felt a little more "twitchy" in the corners. I have yet to drive the E55 to formulate my own opinions, so you can take that for what it's worth.

JAXRS6
February 25th, 2004, 20:45
Originally posted by bilbozilla
he said the Benz felt a little more "twitchy" in the corners.
That's right, because with no AWD, the Benz ESP is required to be a lot more active -- is on more of the time. During my test drive the E55's ESP also seemed more intrusive when it activated, compared to when the RS6 ESP activates; in any case I felt that twitchy sensation too often in the Benz. Even if both cars made it around the same corner at close to the same speed, the RS6 would do it with more aplomb and less jerkiness. It wins the smooth contest.

Erik
February 25th, 2004, 20:58
RS6 or E55? Or M5 or M3? Or SL55?

In any case here is some inspiration (and promotion for the new gallery)

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/522/password/

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/522/2Molle-1.jpg

C3
February 25th, 2004, 21:16
Originally posted by JA

Agreed, this is an enviable position to be in and I am lucky to be in it, although as the man once said, the harder I work the luckier I seem to get...

For me it is still a very serious question - I really can't afford to make a mistake at these prices. I currently have an M3, so I chose performance over luxury this time. Before that I had a Jaguar XJR, so I chose luxury over performance. Before that it was an Impreza, so you can see how I never quite know which way to turn. My perfect car would be the RS6 with the E55 interior (for now of course).

What I would like to hope is that the RS6 will have enough of the M3 qualities, but be a significant enough step forward in luxury to keep me from buyer's remorse WRT to the E55.

As far as the Avant thing goes, both cars are available here in the UK as Estates, or Avants. It's just that the Audi seems to keep its value better as an Avant, and looks almost as good as the saloon IMO.

Whilst not quite as much fun to drive, it would be wrong to rule out the E just on that basis. It is monstrously fast, and while not as agile as the RS6, it is no hippo. It's all relative - remember the RS4 guys think the RS6 is an old man's barge... Also, there are times, like maybe after a hard days work, when I just want a car that is a cosseting, classy, relaxing and quiet place to be with an awesome sound system. In this situation the Benz is many miles ahead of the Audi.

Man, what a hard decision.

JA
February 25th, 2004, 21:25
Well, it sounds as though you have a pretty good grasp of what differentiates the two cars. Buy the car that will make you feel your best behind the wheel. It sounds like you really want the E55.

Best of luck to you. Have a blast no matter which one you choose.

jgun81
February 25th, 2004, 22:30
C3

I also had E46M3, CLK55AMG before RS6.
And C32AMG before M3.
M3 is defenately a nice car which I miss even now.(6speed MT)
CLK55 was pretty awesome however, I really hated c32.
obviously they are not great handler.
Driving RS6 makes me miss my M3's MT, but hey...E55 is also
automatic...RS6 can handle like M3 and more comfortable and
sounds awesome.

bilbozilla
February 25th, 2004, 23:54
It's all relative - remember the RS4 guys think the RS6 is an old man's barge...

I'm 32 and my RS6 is no old man's car :eek:

Bauer
February 26th, 2004, 00:20
I'm 32 and my RS6 is no old man's car

Here, here...this is a bit freaky....same age same car same color combo...although no twins:D :D

Benman
February 26th, 2004, 00:57
Originally posted by C3
So, what do I do? I'm sure I'll get totally unbiased opinions here :D.

Easy. RS 6:D (a no brainer!)

And welcome to the forum!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

xjussix
February 26th, 2004, 06:33
Originally posted by JA

Very well said and I hope you guys never forget that. Cars like RS6 / E55 / M3 might seem quite normal to you but you are in a special position to be able to buy cars like those. People like me just have to enjoy other people's stories about these cool cars and hope for the best. You need to be a feckin millionaire in Finland to own a remotely special car.. :D

Alright, sorry for the rant and good luck C3!

Mal
February 26th, 2004, 07:53
Pick a wet (we get a lot of those in the UK) or icy day and go and test drive them both again. Give them both a bit of welly out of tight or uphill junctions, corners etc just where you are taught not too and your descision will be made for you. The RS6 gives so much safe and useable power that to me the descision is easy - and dont forget to read the long term report on EVO.com this quote says it all:

"And wet roads made no difference; announcing that you'd seen the traction control light flashing was greeted with applause in the office. The laws of physics seemed not to apply to the big Audi."

jgun81
February 26th, 2004, 07:59
Doesn't it rain alot there is UK?
Once I was travelling with my CLK55
and it was rainning really hard.
I didn't feel safe even though I was going slower than 100km
with all season tires.

C3
February 26th, 2004, 08:48
Well thanks for all the balanced and impartial advice :lovl:.

For those who have driven or been in an E46 M3, how does the road noise inside the cabin compare with an RS6? I can't remember from my test drive.. Also how comfortable are the seats after a long journey?

And are all Audi dealers as obnoxious and arrogant as my local one?

Mal
February 26th, 2004, 09:08
The RS6 is quiter than the M3 except when you give it some gas when you get the wonderful growl from the engine. The Recaro seats are fantastic, quite firm put very comforable for me and probably the best I have experienced on a long journey

If you want a good dealer I would try Whitehouse Dartford, 01322 277231, speak to the dealer principal - Craig or to Vaughen and they will be very helpful.

Incidently I was in there on Tuesday and noticed they had a beautiful Mugello RS6 Avant with 7,000 miles and were selling it for £53,000.

Perhaps this is the car for you!

jgun81
February 26th, 2004, 10:41
Yes, RS6 is quiter than M3, however, it is not a quiet car
just quiter than M3.
Even though, US RS6's don't have recaro seats,
I think it's better than M3's
M3 seat wasn't bad but RS6 seat is better for long distance driving.
I guess recaro's should be much better than M3's

Hawk
February 26th, 2004, 10:54
Very difficult choice. I love rear traction.........E55:)

Bauer
February 26th, 2004, 17:44
Well thanks for all the balanced and impartial advice .

Anytime:rs6kiss: :D :D

Also how comfortable are the seats after a long journey?

You are lucky to have the Recaros which are WAY more comfortable then the US spec seats. I wish they had made there way into the US spec RS6's:vgrumpy: as IMO the US spec seats suck......My S8 seats are far superior and they are Recaros as well (not the same as Euro RS6).

And are all Audi dealers as obnoxious and arrogant as my local one?

I have two dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area that are good:p ....if you felt like reverse importing and getting crappy seats:hihi: :hihi: :doh:

eph94
February 26th, 2004, 19:53
Originally posted by bilbozilla

I'm 32 and my RS6 is no old man's car :eek:

Well, it may not be an "old man's" car but it's definitely a "family" car.

Regardless of age, I believe we all officially become "old men" to the boy-racer (EVOs, WRXs) and small sedan/coupe crowds (M3, S4) when we begin to take family considerations into our automotive purchasing decisions. First, we will only considers sedans, or saloons, as our daily drivers--or God-forbid a station wagon, or avant!! Second, we worry if there is enough room in the back seat for the child seats. And finally, we consider the "sweet spot" of automotive world to be 4000-pound land barges like the RS6, E55, and M5.

I got into my first "old man" car when I bought a 540i three years ago when I was 28. I remember actually feeling "down" about it. I thought to myself, "I'm way too young to be driving around this car." I came to terms with the decision after I smoked a few riced-out Civics in some stoplight fun. I still feel like the RS6 is an "old man cruiser" but I take solace in the fact that no one can touch me at a stoplight under less than ideal conditions. And even under ideal conditions, they better get a perfect launch; otherwise, RS6 tail light city. Boo Yah!

Wait, did I just say, "Boo Yah"?

johnnymac
February 26th, 2004, 20:58
E55 wins in my humble opinion only because it will hold its value better, again in my humble opinion.

PS: I must declare that I just bought one and MAN...what a car!

Bauer
February 26th, 2004, 21:27
jonnymac-

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride, the E55 is a fantastic machine just different than the RS6.

Just woundering though...had the depreciation been better you would have gotten the RS6? I know Audi's in general don't hold their value as well as other makes...and it seems to me that, that alone has swayed some people.

E55 wins in my humble opinion only because it will hold its value better

:cheers:

johnnymac
February 26th, 2004, 22:23
Bauer-

It definitely would have made my decision much more difficult!
The fact that a limited number of dealers can service the rs6 and that its future as a production model for Audi is very questionable swayed me to go with the E55.

Once I made the decision, it was VERY difficult to find one that was available without ordering one and waiting 4-6 months.
I ended up lucking out and getting a black/charcoal out of Atlanta with many of the available options.

If anybody wants one of these beasts, Paul Isringhausen at Mercedes of Buckhead in Atlanta, Ga. is the man who can find it for you!

johnny mac

C3
February 26th, 2004, 22:39
Originally posted by johnnymac
E55 wins in my humble opinion only because it will hold its value better, again in my humble opinion.

Here in the UK, the E55 is like gold dust - some dealers are quoting a year waiting time. So on that basis the residual value will remain high for a while. The RS6 is coming to the end of its life, although in the UK the Avant will continue to be supplied until August. This is bound to make values drop. The new M5 could take some of the value out of the E55 when it launches, but so many people I know can't stand the Bangle design, hate the idrive and generally dislike the interior that I'm not sure it will be such a threat unless it is a truly unbelievably awesome car to drive. When the previous 5 series was launched, they were everywhere within a few weeks. With the new 5, it is still very rare to see one anywhere in the UK apart from the dealers showrooms. A fleet supplier friend of mine says that for the first time ever, they are supplying more MBs than BMs.

So, the head says buy the Merc. Unfortunately the heart is still whispering "RS6", so I'm arranging another drive of it to finally sort my mind out.

PS: I must declare that I just bought one and MAN...what a car!

johnnymac, did you drive an RS6 at all? What made you buy the E55?

johnnymac
February 26th, 2004, 22:44
I did NOT drive the rs6, just sat in it and heard the nice exhaust note! I'm sure it would have impressed me, but I live in Nashville, Tn and the thought of having to drive to Atlanta or Memphis to service my car was not appealing.

Bauer
February 26th, 2004, 22:56
but I live in Nashville, Tn and the thought of having to drive to Atlanta or Memphis to service my car was not appealing.

Yup...that would suck...I am sure that had a big part in the decission...it would for anybody.

nyrs6
February 27th, 2004, 01:07
Depends!

if ypu want a fst four door luxury sedan and a daily driver definetly the rs6 but if youre the type of guy that wants to take it to the drag strip and you also like to beat every one on the road go for the e55 of course the rs6 is a better all around car. its know that the e55 doesnt handle like the rs6 and doesnt brake like the rs6. thats the advantage of the rs6. and btw the rs6 is alot more stable at high speeds and somebody mentiond alot safer because of quattro.

BTW the e55 is alot faster than the rs6 if u want to coem close and still have the rs6 i would go for an aftermarket packege with software upgrade and exhaust (OCT is what my dad has) and you will be pretty close to the e55.

nyrs6
February 27th, 2004, 01:19
Originally posted by C3
Here in the UK, the E55 is like gold dust - some dealers are quoting a year waiting time. So on that basis the residual value will remain high for a while. The RS6 is coming to the end of its life, although in the UK the Avant will continue to be supplied until August. This is bound to make values drop. The new M5 could take some of the value out of the E55 when it launches, but so many people I know can't stand the Bangle design, hate the idrive and generally dislike the interior that I'm not sure it will be such a threat unless it is a truly unbelievably awesome car to drive. When the previous 5 series was launched, they were everywhere within a few weeks. With the new 5, it is still very rare to see one anywhere in the UK apart from the dealers showrooms. A fleet supplier friend of mine says that for the first time ever, they are supplying more MBs than BMs.

So, the head says buy the Merc. Unfortunately the heart is still whispering "RS6", so I'm arranging another drive of it to finally sort my mind out.

johnnymac, did you drive an RS6 at all? What made you buy the E55?

yep e55 is holding for now! wait a year from now it will plunge down thats how it works the only reason for the first 1-2 years its holding is because everybody wants it and is on a waiting list and so there is a big demand for it. look at older mercedes and better yet look at ferrari. plus i think once all the rs6s are sold they will start slowing down in droping value. dont worry rs6 owners the e55 will catch up to the rs6 and pluge just as much if not even more.

bilbozilla
February 27th, 2004, 02:51
Waiting lists at Mercedes dealerships I have found are pure bull$h!+. My mother bought a SLK32 AMG - They told her 1.5-2 years waiting list. They had it in 3 weeks. I was told 2 years on an SL55 - 4 months ago, and since that time, the salesman has called me 3 times about 3 different SL55s that have come into the showroom. Don't let Chryseler, ahem, Mercedes fool you. They are fantastic cars, but they are not as exclusive as they would like you to think.