PDA

View Full Version : Fitting downpipes

gnomik007
February 24th, 2004, 03:54
Hi everyone.I have recently acquired Milltek downpipes and will have them installed within next couple of weeks.I had the middle and back parts of the exhaust changed to Milltek ones right after I got the car and very much liked the sound of it,so now expect even more.Sportec chip will also be put on to the car.I asked people from the garage to test HP output on a rolling machine at each stage of the tuning pprocess:
Just the middle and back Milltek parts
With the chip
And with the downpipes

I will post more info as it comes

Wish me luck:mech:

nene
February 24th, 2004, 04:27
Good luck, but more importantly, we'll be anxiously waiting your write up on the setup and don't leave out any details.

Speed Technik
February 27th, 2004, 01:49
Ours are going in when we get a chance to breath. Customer cars come first and we will be doing before and after Dynapack runs as usual. :mech:

gnomik007
February 29th, 2004, 18:21
There seems to be a slight problem with the set up.The car gives out only 508hp although should give out aroung 540hp.The reason for this seems to be some sensor on the DPs that in original set up is before cats and on Milltek it is after,so at high revs it reads some wrong and doesn't let the engine rev higher.
To solve this there will be altrerations done to the chip,exactly what will be done I will tell later on when come back to Moscow.
Anyway,it should be ok,at least thats what I hope for.Wish luck.

(I might not explain it the right way but its the best I can
I AM NOT A MECHANIC:mech: )

Bauer
February 29th, 2004, 18:30
Good luck with the set up and I hope it all gets sorted out for you.....keep us posted:cheers:

nyrs6
March 4th, 2004, 03:43
did anybody get the downpipes yet did they come in.

gnomik007 let me know how it goes :mech:

gnomik007
March 4th, 2004, 08:07
As soon as I go back,wich is gonna be end of next week.

Cant wait to drive my baby and see what those DPs do.

gnomik007
March 15th, 2004, 15:45
Finaly I have driven my beast with DPs installed and it was fantastic.There is a significant change and it feels much more rapid.The road was still a little bit slippery and as I was accelerating foot down (ESP on) and with a corner of my eye I saw the ESP triangle lighting up just before 100 KM/H and somewhere around 150 KM/H.The sound has not changed dramatically but got a more powerful feeling to it.As I accelerated you could hear a sound like a whistle which was never there before(very pleasent to ears).Anyways,I would advise downpipes to everyone.

Now I have:
full milltek exhaust system
Sportec chip for engine and tiptronic

and most likely I will go for sportec intercoolers(they come with additional bigger engine and gearbox oil coolers)

EternalX
March 15th, 2004, 18:06
what about those dyno numbers? did u get the sensor problem worked out? im excited to hear about what downpipes will do to this car, and whether it is worth the extra pain and effort. does the engine have to be removed or can they can accessed from under the car?

gnomik007
March 16th, 2004, 01:54
I think that the DPs are worth the hastle and money.It is a bit ticky installing them as by the book u need to remove the engine, however in my case the engine was not removed but slightly moved up to give more space underneath,so it is possible.The dyno is not available yet,guys had some problems getting the results but as I said it should be around 540 hp and it feels according.The problem was resolved as some alterations to the chip were made.

nyrs6
March 16th, 2004, 02:41
how much of a difference did u feel is it possiable to install it without doing what u did. move over the engine! do u see a difference at speeds over 180km

Rs6s4
March 16th, 2004, 10:17
Hi To All,
I got the ABT chip plus the Sound enhanced exhaust system, and am really looking for sum more power to be added.
these downpipes sound good, wondering about the price, and if fitting them require much of works.

any news of any good air filter system for the RS6?

gnomik007
March 16th, 2004, 16:07
The difference is there to feel,I dont know how much thoughn but u definately see it.I dont think u can install downpipes without touching the engine because if u look underneath the beast u will see where the downpipes connect the engine and how little space there is to work.We spent hours underneath the car and came to conclusion that even if we disconnected the original ones it would have been impossible to connect new ones.The price I paid for Milltek DPs was about 1.5 thousand GBP,u do the math.

As for the air filter for :addict: I would go for Dahlback system.Looks very nice,but I was advised not to install it because roads in Moscow are quite dirty and u get a lot of dust in the air,which means that with that filter system more of it will end up inside the engine/turbos and might lead to unwanted consequences.Sportec also have some sort of air filter upgrade so check it out.

Rs6s4
March 16th, 2004, 19:01
Hello there,
gnomik007, thanx for the info, thats almost $3000,

umm regarding the air filter system, I never heard no one recomend changing the original one, I guess I'll invest on the Downpipes, but one more thing, is moving th engin wud have any problem in the future? do my ABT chip need to be re-programmed due to the instalation of the downpipes?

gnomik007
March 17th, 2004, 20:06
I am not sure about that,talk to people who installed the chip,I am sure they will know.Nice car you've got:rs6kiss:

Rs6s4
March 17th, 2004, 20:21
I do thank U gnomik007.

Erik
March 17th, 2004, 20:28
Originally posted by Rs6s4
umm regarding the air filter system, I never heard no one recomend changing the original one

Check this :)

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2897&highlight=dbr

http://www.rs6.com/pics/Various/DBR-10.jpg

gnomik007
March 17th, 2004, 20:33
Would this dahlback system let more dust particles and the rest of sh+t get through than the original one?I want to install it but was advised not to.
:confused:

Rs6s4
March 17th, 2004, 21:01
That Air Filter system, is WOW, umm regarding the disadvantage of dusty roads and environments, umm I believe we do have the same problem then around here, I guess I'll consider the downpipes next,
BTW in which part of England the miltek products are available?

gnomik007
March 17th, 2004, 21:05
I am not too sure on that,all I know is that they deliver free within UK.

athlon
March 22nd, 2004, 14:08
The Dahlback air intake mod is terrible. The name is CAI (Cold Air Intake) not HAI (Hot Air Intake), thats all that setup is doing. Sucking hot air in, absolutely useless.

Having the pods mounted in the guards would yeild so much better results.

gnomik007
March 23rd, 2004, 19:32
R u sayig it is simply sucking in all the hot air under the hood?

That will not help get more power for sure.

nyrs6
April 28th, 2004, 04:01
so can you give us an update? How are the dps working?:rs6kiss:

gnomik007
April 28th, 2004, 04:28
Yeah,they're working perfect.I have the graphs from the rolling machine and I will post it in a couple of weeks.As i said before the car is pulling 664Nm of Torque and 529hp,which I think is good.The graph is absolutely fabulous,straight by the rules of the book.The only problem I am facing now is that the power output of the beast has gone up,but there were no changes to cooling system,so when I push the car for a bit things start getting hot. What I mean is that oil in the gearbox gets very hot and start loosing its qualities,and as the result when you press the accelerator revs go up,but the tranny is not transferring it to the wheels.I am sure there is more technical explanation to it,but thats how I understand it.My next step is installing a full tranny oil radiator(there isn't an original one,its just a s-curved tube at the front grill) and then more adds to cooling system.Wheels is also a must,but I just can't choose the ones I like.Most Likely I will go for the B&B ones,but only if they make them in 19 size.

gnomik007
April 28th, 2004, 04:42
NYRS6

It says you've got sway bars on order,can u plz tell me the site,so I can check into it.Thanx.

nyrs6
April 30th, 2004, 00:33
actually there is nothing on hotchkis site. You can order it from speedtechnik and you can ask him to ship it to you because i dont know if they have hotchkis in europe. We ordered it from speedtechnik

gnomik007
April 30th, 2004, 01:41
Do front and rear swaybars come originally with the car because I have never looked myself?

nyrs6
April 30th, 2004, 16:31
i dont know to much about cars. But i think all cars have Rear and front. As far as i know :rolleyes: